PILTZ: Master HOT SAW builder (...not)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these lo-pro chains arent designed for anything over 40cc why is cannon making long bars to accept these picco chains ? That would make them as dumb as him correct ?

Is oregons picco rim kit different from stihls ? Did i read in this thread or somewhere else they were different ?
Some people are having good luck milling with it. If the bars didn't cost so much I'd try a 32" setup to run on my 046.

standard small spline vs stihl mini spline and the difference in diameter between picco rim and standard 3/8 rim
There are some generic mini spline 3/8 sprockets that are essentially the same size as that full size 3/8. If I recall a .325 7 tooth mini spline and a .325 Oregon small spline one came out perhaps 8 thousands of an inch different. Another thing to measure is has the side with the cut outs shrunk vs the other one.

a

l think you need to get some veneer calibers and get a bunch of chains and actually measure all the components. You may be surprized at what you find and possibly how standard 3/8 chain has no strength benefit over lo pro chains. Things are different between brands and also old/new chain. I run 20" 404 on my hopped up 660 but l have run PS picco for giggles with good results but l find at some point with enough power....ya just need more chain. My main problem with lo pro is its durability qualities, once you start running it on 50+cc saws in really hard wood you give the cutters and drive tangs a real hard time.

Might I suggest you get out the chain brake or grinder and dis assemble and measure. What I have found is the Stihl 63 class picco that is the 0.050 is getting close to 0.325 NK in the pivot points quite a bit more than the oregon/carlton stuff. Normal 0.325 is more robust and full size 3/8 calls for a different anvil on the spinner. Don't forget to measure the tie strap in two dimensions, not the length way.

There seems some problems on Stihl's website as they call for all of their picco good for, not stated limited to, 2.0 hp. and nothing in the paper color catalog. A ms 251 is 45.6cc and claimed 2.95 hp I believe and that is as large as I can see them specifying the 63 class picco for at least in this market. I believe without checking Oregon calls it quits for their 91 class 3/8 lo pro at 42cc.

So you could run picco on a standard 3/8 setup you just need the proper bar is the conclusion ?
Just from looking at the wear in the rim sprocket and how it is not that big a contact area I wouldn't really recommend it for anything more than just barely strong enough to pull 7 teeth. The contact area is smaller than on a 6 tooth spur sprocket. I have not tried beyond 2.4 hp or so. I have read of turning down 0.404 sprockets and if one really wants to exceed the design of the picco chain that may be better but one needs standard not small 7 spline to get one of those.

Stihl recommends and sells large format Picco B&C 16" kits in Europe for the 261, which is a 50cc saw with 3.8 HP. The kit has a bar, loop and rim. They do not sell that kit here in the states. They did sell that kit on the 024 briefly in the US. The 024 had 2.9 HP. I have run my 026 with a 260 P&C (~3.6 HP) with a 16" Stihl 3003 bar and aggressive PS Picco chain for a couple dozen tanks of gas and there is hardly any stretch at all. I am running it with a Stihl P-7 rim. I have not had any problems running it. It would likely run an 18" fine as well, but those bars are impossible to find in the US. I got my 16" for $35 here in the states. PN for large format Stihl Picco E series laminated bars with the correct nose sprockets for low profile/Picco chain:

16" 3003 000 6313
18" 3003 000 6317
20" 3003 000 6321

I also swapped the stock .325 B&C on all my 025/250 saws to Picco B&C, with 16" and 18". I ran Carlton LP semi-chisel non-safety chain on them. They were small format and had ~3.1 HP. I never had any problems with them and they cut faster than with .325. I could never find a rim drive for Picco on any 1123 saws then and I used spur sprockets on them. Stihl now has a Picco rim drive kit that will fit the 1123 series (021/210-025/250) and the 1138 (171/181/211) series saws. PN: 1123 007 1030 They have 7 pin rim drives. The only 6 pin rim I have been able to find is from China. I am not sure if that is an Oregon or a Stihl rim format though. For now I am stuill using the 6 spur sprocket that came on my 211, as I do not want to run 7 pin rim on that saw.

..... They have 7 pin rim drives. The only 6 pin rim I have been able to find is from China. I am not sure if that is an Oregon or a Stihl rim format though. For now I am stuill using the 6 spur sprocket that came on my 211, as I do not want to run 7 pin rim on that saw.

I'm pretty sure a 6-pin 3/8" Picco rim is impossible on a small 7-spline drum, so it has to be a mini 7-spline one (Stihl).

Be aware that Picco bars (actually all bars except for Cannom C1 bars) for the MS250 (3005 mount) are much shorter than "called" - the 18" ones are barely over 16"...

Yah, I threatened to move to California last year with my cat, because it was so cold here last year with the Arctic Vortex. This year California has come to Oregon. We had the warmest October, December, January and February on record this year. Lowest snowpack ever recorded this year in the Cascades. It was 61 here today. Supposed to get into the 70s here this weekend. Best year I can ever remember here by a long shot. Next best was about 10 years ago when I moved in with my ex.

As for the PiltzTard, just flip him off as you drive by. Stop at Madsens up in WA instead.
You would need a lowboy to move that big azz Cat.

Hey, he is only 26 pounds! Twice as big as my baby grand niece, and 3x as big as my ex's lap mutt. That's a half wine barrel for perspective.

View attachment 409723
He looks nearly identical to a big ol tabby we had years ago.

I was pissed when he put paw tracks all the way down the new sidewalk to the shop. Ya can't hardly see them anymore, I wish he was here to make some new ones.

He looks nearly identical to a big ol tabby we had years ago.

I was pissed when he put paw tracks all the way down the new sidewalk to the shop. Ya can't hardly see them anymore, I wish he was here to make some new ones.

This cat did that in the concrete floor patches in the garage. I laughed it off and left them there for grins. Signed for eternity.

Back