Pimp my saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinkFast

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am sure you get lots of questions on what is best to buy, I appologize.

I am looking at a specific application, and struggling on which toy to buy.

My dad passed away and had a big old Johnsred saw, just had it fixed, some bozo stole it :( My McCollough just died.

I have had some cheap homedepot saws before, but they are junk, and I get tired of cranking on saws. I don't saw alot, I need to clear this lot, then I will be doing a small amount of firewood each year, that's about it.

So here is the deal. I have 5 acres that I have to thin and meet the new fire standards. This is mostly thining 6-8 inch oak brush (lots of it). I do however have some good size pine trees that are bug kills that have to go tool

So I am thinking for the most part I need a light saw to do all that trimming with, but I don't know maybe I need to go to atleast a 20 inch to deal with the bigger trees ?

I have been leaning towards picking up a Stihl 290 or 310.

The biggest reason I have looked at Stihl is I hate it when my saw doesn't run, so was looking for less hassle. I noticed stihl only seems to have the easy crank stuff on their low end saws. I am not sure what people would call casual / homeowner use. Some of those would probably work real good, but not sure they would last long. Maybe start with one of those and plan on trashing it in a couple years ?

I am just starting to look at Huskies seems like they aren't quite as spendy. I would say I wanna stay around the $400 and less range, $600 for a saw is too much.

Thanks in advance :)

Dolmar 5100S

Husqvarna 346XP

Shindaiwa 488 (or new model 490)

Stihl MS260 Pro

They are all in your $400 price range, will work great for what you need to do, and will even tackle those few big pines you are talking about. Handle them all, talk with your dealer, and then decide what you want. They are all good saws - all very reliable and dependable - will last you a lifetime with the correct maintenance.

Josh

Welcome to AS!
I will also include the Husky 350 in that list. I think it is a solid durable saw, reasonably priced, and very suitable for you're needs.

Thanks for the recommendations. You are right ofcourse I need to swing by the dealers and lay hands on the saws too.

Funny how every shop I ever entered with my dad's old Johnsred could only tell me what junk it was. The shop (carpenters) that fixed it was great, and reasonable. Only makes sense to me I will start there, as good service and price is hard to find.

Huskies are not uncommon around here, i haven't heard of those other saws in this area, but I will look around some.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

My dad passed away and had a big old Johnsred saw, just had it fixed, some bozo stole it :( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Funny how every shop I ever entered with my dad's old Johnsred could only tell me what junk it was. The shop (carpenters) that fixed it was great, and reasonable. Only makes sense to me I will start there, as good service and price is hard to find.

Funny how that saw just happens to disappear right after you got it fixed. Call me paranoid, but who's better a suspect than the guy who just fixed it, and probably knows where you live. If so, they'd win twice, as they got your old saw and you buy a new one from them. But then again, that's just my suspect nature.

Still I'd keep a close watch out, and spread the word that it's a stolen saw. It's in the area, but it might show up on Ebay, so watch closely there too. Who knows, you could win your own saw back, and when you go to pick it up, take a police officer with you. ;)

No the saw shop is in the clear, I was out of town and had the saw swiped.

Man I wish I could buy a new 260pro for $400 cheapest I can find them for is $510 around here. Guess I might just have to bite the bullet and spend a little extra.

Are the pro saws that much better built that they are worth the extra cash compared to the mid saws, 290, 310 and such ?

...Are the pro saws that much better built that they are worth the extra cash compared to the mid saws, 290, 310 and such ?

They sure are, and more - I guess you should take a close look at the Dolmar5100S - my wife has one, and it is a really nice saw, even though I prefer the MS361 (Euro version), but different price levels in the US.......:D :D

Just forget the 290 and 310.......

Last edited:
Dont even bother with the 029 and the 031! Not very well designed.

026 is a good one and check out the Dolmar site and see if there is one in your area. If so go look at the 5100.

They sure are, and more - I guess you should take a close look at the Dolmar5100S - my wife has one, and it is a really nice saw, even though I prefer the MS361 (Euro version), but different price levels in the US.......:D :D

Just forget the 290 and 310.......

Great advice. Please take it for yourself.

Everybody hit it on the nose when they mentioned the 026/260. Thats the perfect saw, if you want a Stihl. Light weight, reliable, well built, and should be able to pull a 20 inch bar with no problem.

I say +1

Everybody hit it on the nose when they mentioned the 026/260. Thats the perfect saw, if you want a Stihl. Light weight, reliable, well built, and should be able to pull a 20 inch bar with no problem.

I say +1

Sad to hear about your dad, and what happened to the saw he gave you.
Welcome to the site.

I feel like I'm turning into a shill for Dolmar, but I really like the 5100s I just picked up. Not enough time on it yet to tell how it will hold up, but it's hands down better than the junk I've had in the past.

If there's a Dolmar dealer in your area I'd look at that one. Nothing wrong with Husky either.

saw quagmire

Baileys timber supply has the husky 460 on sale with a 20" bar and chain for $360.00. i use a husky 460 with a 24" bar with full skip for hard old stumps and as a backup to my 048 stihl.:chainsawguy:

I have 5 acres that I have to thin and meet the new fire standards. This is mostly thining 6-8 inch oak brush (lots of it). I do however have some good size pine trees that are bug kills that have to go tool
. . .
I have been leaning towards picking up a Stihl 290 or 310.
. . .
I would say I wanna stay around the $400 and less range, $600 for a saw is too much.

I've got a similar task - I'm thinning a few acres of 6-12 inch pines with some hardwoods mixed in. I think you need more than a 290/310. My old saw just turned into a project saw, and I wanted to buy a new one anyway . . . so I got the 280 for a little over $400. I looked at the 260, but it was $30 more and it had less displacement. I don't care about the split crankcase on the 260 (my old saw has that, but I don't plan on ever tearing it down that far). I think the 280 is a good saw for a medium user who doesn't want to spend the extra $$ on a pro saw.

- Rick

Funny how that saw just happens to disappear right after you got it fixed. Call me paranoid, but who's better a suspect than the guy who just fixed it, and probably knows where you live. If so, they'd win twice, as they got your old saw and you buy a new one from them. But then again, that's just my suspect nature.

Still I'd keep a close watch out, and spread the word that it's a stolen saw. It's in the area, but it might show up on Ebay, so watch closely there too. Who knows, you could win your own saw back, and when you go to pick it up, take a police officer with you. ;)

You bring up a very good point (rep coming mate!) I have been trying to beat it into the heads of my equipment using friends up here for quite some time, WRITE DOWN AND RECORD YOU SERIAL NUMBERS! For everything! Don't even think about it, just do it guys, especially all of ya out there listing your saws ect., come on, it is only common sense, just do it it'll save ya grief should you ever (forbid) have ta track your stuff down.
My worthless 0.02$ fer the evening.

260 is an awesome little saw. 280 is a good saw, too. But my 290 is a good saw as well. For the money I like my 290, and as we all know its heavier and not quite as well built as the 260. But I bet it lasts me a long time. They arent junk, they are built way better than some of the poulan and Mcollough junk sold at the lowes and HD stores. If you just plan to use it on a few projects and not for serious wood cutting on a frequent basis, its a good way to save some money.

For the money I like my 290, and as we all know its heavier and not quite as well built as the 260. But I bet it lasts me a long time. They arent junk, they are built way better than some of the poulan and Mcollough junk sold at the lowes and HD stores. If you just plan to use it on a few projects and not for serious wood cutting on a frequent basis, its a good way to save some money.

+1 on the 290, for the money; 3+ years and no problems. That said, now that I have a 361 :heart:, the 290 is a lonely backup.

Anti-Vibe System

You both own the 290 and a pro saw - I'd be interested to know what you think about the lack of an anti-vibe system on the 290. Do you notice a difference? I always use the saw for many hours at a time and that's the main reason I chose the 280 over the 290. My old Poulan had a similar system, and I couldn't give it up on the new saw.

Thanks, Rick

Latest posts

Back