Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just shows that you need to run down leads even if the sellers description is less than thrilling.

I was expecting a box store Poulan when I pulled up to this house.

He described this saw as a "mid sized yellow Poulan" with a 16 inch bar, not a big saw.

I went to pick it up and it is a Pioneer 620 with a 22" Bar, tons of compression, decent shape, and it ran about 5 years ago when he last used it.

View attachment 239337View attachment 239338View attachment 239339

How did I do:)

Acres says these 620 saws have brown covers, and this one is all yellow. Also, the paint on this saw is very easy to rub off just cleaning the saw, not durable at all.

Nice saw. The 620 Super had the brown top. Yours is the earlier model.
The front handle may be from a Super. I don't remember the brown grip on a Pioneer 620

This saw has a omc tag, dosen't that make it a late one?
OMC is Outboard Marine Corp. They are the parent company that owned Pioneer chainsaws in Peterborough Ontario. I could be wrong but I think the Pioneer saws in the US had a OMC tag.
The Pioneer signs I have from the US all have OMC on them.
The 6-20 saws were made 1960-62 the 6-20 Super were made 1962-64

This saw has a omc tag, dosen't that make it a late one?
OMC is Outboard Marine Corp. They are the parent company that owned Pioneer chainsaws in Peterborough Ontario. I could be wrong but I think the Pioneer saws in the US had a OMC tag.
The Pioneer signs I have from the US all have OMC on them.
The 6-20 saws were made 1960-62 the 6-20 Super were made 1962-64

IEL Supertwin 52 Factory Cutout Chainsaw

One of the most fun things about collecting chainsaws is having people stop in and show you new interesting stuff. A good friend of mine stopped by today with a load of stuff. This IEL Supertwin Cutaway saw is the only one I have ever seen or heard of. I wonder if they made them for the newer saws as well. It will make a great centerpiece for someones IEL collection. It will be great to take to this summers shows.
DSCF0842.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

DSCF0847.jpg

DSCF0831.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most fun things about collecting chainsaws is having people stop in and show you new interesting stuff. A good friend of mine stopped by today with a load of stuff. This IEL Supertwin Cutaway saw is the only one I have ever seen or heard of. I wonder if they made them for the newer saws as well. It will make a great centerpiece for someones IEL collection. It will be great to take to this summers shows.
DSCF0842.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

DSCF0847.jpg

DSCF0831.jpg

That IEL is quite a find, I have seen many different models of cutout saws and outboard engines that were made specifically for teaching institutions, there was a dealer here in Dartmouth that had a big V twin cutaway OMC outboard on his showroom floor, had it there for many years. The local vocational school had a wide variety of the cutaway engines as well, some were factory made others were done by the instructors and class members.

Pioneer Guy

That is a very nice P26, it hasn`t seen very much use and the airfilter cover is not broken, that`s a bonus.
I bought it from a guy in Nova Scotia who said his Dad used it three times. I fell in love with it after working on a basket case P21 for too long which I still can't get to stay running. Kind of gave up. The P26 is so beautiful (to me) inside and out that I have not even started it up yet for fear I will get it dirty! (dumb). I know it works cause the seller sent me a video of him running it as well as about 20 in and out pics before we made the deal. Great guy! I cleaned it as soon as I got it and it is now my shelf queen. I am using a vintage (prob late 70's Sears sportster, a similar vintage Sears Roper built 3.7/17, a new Craftsman 18" electric (13 Amp) and a new 12" Remmington electric (8 Amp) also electric pole saw. Have another Roper 3.7 in the mail from a member. There is no charm in new saws or the electrics and I have developed a passion for the vintage gas stuff. I will probably buy more and tinker. I would like to gift good running, well built vintage saw to friends and family. I have been doing most of my cutting work with the electrics because the area I am working mostly in is within 125' of my house or shed. I have a dedicated 30 Amp breaker in the shed which with 100' of 10 awg cord and an additional 25' of 12 awg gives me plenty of power. The electrics are cheap (as new saws go), start right up, little noise and little maintenance. They are boring but I can cut on weekend mornings without waking lazy sleep-in family or neighbors and saves what is left of my diminished hearing.
Sorry for the BLOG but I felt like blogging. If anyone actually reads this I appologize for the self serving blahh blahh.
Although an amature at saws, I have been cutting trees for 25 years on and off.
I am more knowledgable about wood/coal boilers. I installed my first in 1979 and ran it for ten years. Almost 25 years later I am installing my second in a different house. The new boiler is a refurbished 1979 HS Tarm MB55 Solo 140K BTU which is also vintage like me and the rest of my stuff. I may be of more help to members on that subject so ask away if you wish.
Good night!

DSCF0844.jpg

Jeff, you always seem to come up with coolest/rarest stuff in the Pioneer world. Congrats. :cheers:

That Ed
Finding the stuff is fun. Having it show up in my yard makes getting up in the morning worth while.
Can't waite to see what shows up next.

Get that P40 running!! I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with it.
Parts are very common. I've got a crap load of P series saws, I've yet to have the divider come loose on any of them.

The divider is in place. But, it is missing the carb., air filter, clutch cover and oil filler plug. Pumps a whopping 110 psi and no spark. Going back in storage.

attachment.php

Pioneer Farmsaw coil to flywheel air gap

A question for you Pioneer junkies.

I have a nice Farmsaw (1982) that I bought in working condition and the ignition module gave out which I hear is common.

I am too impatient (I have to get this beauty running) to wait for a used module to come up for sale so I ordered a new one which should be here in a week or so.

The only info I have on the coil to flywheel air gap is from Mike Acre's site.

The gap here is listed as .025 - .030 which seems quite large compared to the normal .012 gap commonly seen on most 2 stroke engines.

I was wondering what you guy's used as a gap for these ignition modules.

Here's the link to Acre's page for the Farmsaw.

I am too impatient to wait for a used module to come up for sale so I ordered a new one which should be here in a week or so.

The gap here is listed as .025 - .030 which seems quite large compared to the normal .012 gap commonly seen on most 2 stroke engines.

Model Profile: Farmsaw

Thanks

Tim

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

DSCF0842.jpg

DSCF0844.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

DSCF0847.jpg

DSCF0831.jpg

Looking forward to seeing you and all the cool stuff in person at the Lang steam show in Peterborough see you soon Jeff :popcorn:

A question for you Pioneer junkies.

I have a nice Farmsaw (1982) that I bought in working condition and the ignition module gave out which I hear is common.

I am too impatient (I have to get this beauty running) to wait for a used module to come up for sale so I ordered a new one which should be here in a week or so.

I am too impatient to wait for a used module to come up for sale so I ordered a new one which should be here in a week or so.

Model Profile: Farmsaw

Thanks

Tim

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

In the Pioneer manuals I have it states the Farm Saw air gap is to be set at .010-.012, same for the P41. The P51 and the P61 are set at .025-.030

p60 rebuild

I have a p60 i want to rebuild the piston looks real good i like to replace the rings topend gaskets.. Weres the best place to start looking

A video demonstrating why the Pioneer 700/750 is my favorite saw. For once, I managed to decently sharpen a chain, and square chisel no less. (Helps to have a Silvey.)

Chris B.

Pioneer 700D with 36" bar - YouTube

I'd like to embed the video, but I've not had much luck lately.

[video=youtube_share;FgNty-jQc24]http://youtu.be/FgNty-jQc24[/video]

Back