Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help out a Nube

I love my p 51 that my brother in law, a logger, gave me. I've learned which parts I need to stock up on in order to keep this saw running for years to come.(reed block, starter assembly, ignition, etc.) What I am having trouble with is finding a bar. I ordered one on Ebay, and had to send it back, because not only were the mounting stud holes too small(5/16, as opposed to my saw 3/8), but the oiler slot was completely different. Anyone have any ideas as to where I might find a bar? Of course, if anybody knows where I can find a NOS reed block...
got a p40, big mount husky works on that...

Thanks fellas, I'm glad you guys appreciate the saw. It's really rewarding when it's finally all put together, as good as new.

I found the finishing piece today, a black rear handguard. It's sporting a 28" roller tip with .404 chain. Now I can put it on the shelf to be admired with the others.

Sorry about the lousy pics, I would have taken them outside had it not been snowing all day. Here's a pic of the last piece of the puzzle:

Next up is my trusty old P50. It's been the workhorse of my arborist business for years and deserves a fitting retirement. I'm also in the market for a decent P60.
Im looking forward to your next saw keep up the great work

I was looking through the IPL for the P50 from 1978 and the diagram shows something funny. There is a provision for the on/off switch in both the top handle and in the cylinder shroud.

I wonder if they sold any saws with the extra hole. I'm trying to plan an accurate resto and want to use the proper parts.

The earlier IPL from 1975 showed no hole in the top handle.

Neither IPL shows a compression relief valve.

I had a look under the hood this morning. The P41SHHP has the larger exhaust, Walbro carb SDC 21-85 and single stage epoxy (fiberglass) reeds. It uses the same cylinder and ignition system as the P41
I have been told the P42 Western saws use a 2 stage epoxy reed.
Thanks Joe for riding shotgun for me. Maybe next time we can find a truckload.

That P52 is super nice ! Hope mine turns out close to that nice ! I have a few new parts for it, most of the metal parts are getting powder coated.

Thanks, I hope yours turns out well too. Post up some pics, of course.

Great pic of the triplets, Jeff! Thanks for the info, that's an interesting saw.

IEL Supper 51 video 2

[video=youtube;QHdjqWVAM20]

I had a look under the hood this morning. The P41SHHP has the larger exhaust, Walbro carb SDC 21-85 and single stage epoxy (fiberglass) reeds. It uses the same cylinder and ignition system as the P41
I have been told the P42 Western saws use a 2 stage epoxy reed.
Thanks Joe for riding shotgun for me. Maybe next time we can find a truckload.
thanks for taking me along for the trip im sure there will be many more my friend

likin seein all these p-saws, but gonna throw this in... am lookin for lower footpeg clamp for ra, think p/n is ra118b, mine is pretty worn. got another ra last w/e, got runnin last nite, is missin this part, pita startin w/o, or swappin b&f... TIA. pete.

It's milling time. I set up my Alaskan Mill today with my PP62. This saw has a TON of compression and fires up with half a pull. I'll be using this 32" bar with ripping chain to build a 14x18 storage shed on a piece of property I recently bought. I'm going to cut 12 6x6's to begin with and then a bunch of slab siding.

The rig:

I rigged up a remote throttle to make life easier. Used a .22 cal bullet to crimp the cable end through my customized trigger. Had to add a stronger return spring as well:

Here's my P50 sporting a 16" bar. It's going to do most of the vertical cuts on the Mini Mill. I'm having 3 loops of ripping chain riveted together on Tuesday for it. I'll need to buy a rivet spinner some day.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i just picked this pioneer P-41 from a local small engine shop and thought i'd post it up for a look ;) I gave 75 clams for it which may not earn me any "suckage" comments, but its still a hell of a saw for less than ive seen some people pay for a used "wild thangie". Did more of these 41's sell with chain brakes than without? Most i see here seem to have the brakes on'em. Anyway, im gonna get this puppy into some wood tomorrow. I always look forward to running a "new to me" saw and comparing the different characteristics as opposed to some others in the stable ;) But of course who doesn't right? :chainsaw:

That's a nice saw. There are older P41's without brake and newer ones that have them. Not sure if more were built either way. Let us know what you think of it once you run it. We're pretty sure you'll like it.

Latest posts

Back