Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pioneer/partner p52 that needs a crankshaft, a helicoil in the cylinder, bearings and seals and possibly a crankcase. I bought a lot of pioneer p51 parts that should have at least one good bottom end. If the one cylinder is good, can I just bolt all my p52 parts to it (after replacing rings, seals etc.). Or should I use my cylinder and other parts with the p51 case? Or should I just the the crankshaft? Basically I'm asking what all will interchange. Thanks
5a8c18bb66eb0c0907104bd5be47e417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but like you said there strong runners.

They might have a little edge on a 4000, but again the 4000 is quite a bit lighter and smoother, but the oiler on the P41 is better. Can't really lose either way I figure.

They do puke oil like a 5200. I like the larger P series as they just seem to feel very comfortable in my hands. To each his own in that respect.
I think a lot of the reed valve saws were just bigger to hold the extra fuel they needed. Not exactly carbon friendly as the eco twats would say.

They do puke oil like a 5200. I like the larger P series as they just seem to feel very comfortable in my hands. To each his own in that respect.
I think a lot of the reed valve saws were just bigger to hold the extra fuel they needed. Not exactly carbon friendly as the eco twats would say.

About the best way it could be said!!

it be fast w/20. 24" pulls it easily in softwood here.

View attachment 579357

pics?

I run my 41 with a 20" for mostly hardwood although I'd like to try a 24" in some of the softer woods around here. The 41 was the first saw I owned and I can't get rid of it even though I have bigger and badder saws. A P42, P45, or a 455 will be in my future if I can find one I really like.

In that picture I posted , the piece of wood the 41 was setting on was just cut with that 41 and 24" bar. Some of that wood I got is hardwood and is very hard hardwood. Like I said, no drama, it pulled through it very well. I was mostly just messing with Tim and agree its got very good power.

I got the saw in trade and will be glad to keep it here, but to a Pioneer guy it could be pried away from me. It would have to be under the right circumstances though.

I run my 41 with a 20" for mostly hardwood although I'd like to try a 24" in some of the softer woods around here. The 41 was the first saw I owned and I can't get rid of it even though I have bigger and badder saws. A P42, P45, or a 455 will be in my future if I can find one I really like.

I wouldn't pass by the PP405+. I had one and it was a good runner too, but I traded it to a guy looking to fill a hole in his Poulan Pro collection.

Hey Paul, how are you doing? I have been running a 24 and a 8 pin rim with square filed chains lately on both of my p41s. They don't slow down at all in oak. I bet they would do ok with 28 and full skip. They have become my go to saw for most cutting.

I have a pioneer/partner p52 that needs a crankshaft, a helicoil in the cylinder, bearings and seals and possibly a crankcase. I bought a lot of pioneer p51 parts that should have at least one good bottom end. If the one cylinder is good, can I just bolt all my p52 parts to it (after replacing rings, seals etc.). Or should I use my cylinder and other parts with the p51 case? Or should I just the the crankshaft? Basically I'm asking what all will interchange. Thanks
5a8c18bb66eb0c0907104bd5be47e417.jpg

@p61western, do you know?

@p61western, do you know?

Crankshafts should be the same, cylinders are different due to the coil set up. Piston / rings are the same. I would disassemble everything, label all of it and see if you can make a few saws with what you have.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Crankshafts should be the same, cylinders are different due to the coil set up. Piston / rings are the same. I would disassemble everything, label all of it and see if you can make a few saws with what you have.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will check everything out and see what I have. What coil would work on the p51 if I try to make a second saw.

If you end up getting a decent bottom end you could just use your p52 top end on it. If you mix the cases the colors will look funny. I highly recommend new seals at the very least.

Thanks, I will do that. I am hoping to repaint the crankcase to match the other parts I have. I will replace the seals and maybe the bearings if they are a standard bearing.

Looking forward to Monday With the full wrap
sporting a new 20 inch bar and chain. I have high hopes on this for a felling saw on the smalls
I expect you'll enjoy it! My P42 was so much fun to run, I cut timber with it for several years whenever I wasn't in bigger wood. 28" bar, semi-skip, chisel filed, 7-tooth (actually faster than 8-tooth). This was in softwood at about 10,000', and the saw was just laughing. Nobody, including me, had ever cut timber with a saw that small around here, as far as I know.

It was slightly modified right from new (of course) and a real piglet. I had to keep my fuel jug right with me.

Thanks, I will do that. I am hoping to repaint the crankcase to match the other parts I have. I will replace the seals and maybe the bearings if they are a standard bearing.

The bearings are standard 6202c3. You should be able to pick them up just about anywhere.

Latest posts

Back