Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished off my resto job on my 3270 tonight(apart from a couple of screws to pick up tomorrow).
Im over the moon and really pleased with it,Have been contemplating using it,but NO chance,would be gutted to scratch it:clap:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice, they sure look nice with a new coat of paint done properly,keep er out of the wood once you go that far on a resto. There is lots of others out there for runners.
Pioneerguy600

Starter spring on a 1073

Here's a PDF scan of the instructions from my Pioneer repair book. Seems you stick the spring through the cover, onto the pulley, install the pulley and c clip and wind it on with a socket. Doesn't say what size socket. The instructions are about as clear as muddy water, but I think you will be able to get it far easier than what you were doing. These instructions cover the 970, 1072, 1073, 2071, and the 2073. I bet it will be easy by the 10th try! Good Luck!

I got my new spring for the 1073. I hate putting these :censored: thing in. Can someone confirm I have it on the pulley correctly? I had it all together and after about 4 pulls it jumped. Is there an easy way to get these spring installed properly? :chainsaw:

I got my new spring for the 1073. I hate putting these :censored: thing in. Can someone confirm I have it on the pulley correctly? I had it all together and after about 4 pulls it jumped. Is there an easy way to get these spring installed properly? :chainsaw:

attachment.php

I'm by no means an expert at puillstarts but that looks backwards to me! I would thing the nub on the spring should be sitting in the nub on the pully so after a few pulls it wont spin around.

Basically flip it 180* and try it

Starter spring

Hello briannutt
By looking at the recoil spring picture it would seem that you would pull it off the way it is pictured and flip it over and place it back on again.I am no expert for sure though.I may have a clearer picture for the rewind setup.But what Rob mentioned about using the socket to tighten it up is the info I have as well
Lawrence

Thank you everyone for your help. I wish I could see those pictures more clearly. The text seems to describe what to do but I would love to confirm I have it in right. I may very well have it in backwards but the way the little tab hooks on the outside cover sort of dictates the direction it goes in. Does anyone have a service manual that could confirm that the pictures in the manual show the spring on the pulley like my picture?

I know we will figure this out eventually...

Thanks again guys.

Starter spring

Here's another scan from another (later) Pioneer manual. It is for a 1074 but I think they should be virtually the same. The photos on this scan came about far better and I think they will resolve any questions. :cheers: Good Luck!

If you find my posts worthy - how about some rep points? Its the odd thing between the big dot and the red triangle at the lower left of each post.

Last edited:
Here's another scan from another (later) Pioneer manual. It is for a 1074 but I think they should be virtually the same. The photos on this scan came about far better and I think they will resolve any questions. :cheers: Good Luck!

This is absolutely perfect! If I can't do it now I am in big trouble.

Once again you guys on AS come through, thanks!

Finished off my resto job on my 3270 tonight(apart from a couple of screws to pick up tomorrow).
Im over the moon and really pleased with it,Have been contemplating using it,but NO chance,would be gutted to scratch it:clap:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That saw is a thing of beauty.
What a nice job, Excellent detail.
Perfect paint.
You should be proud.

Lee

P50'S Have no spark! NEED parts!

I inherited 2 P50's a week ago. One is complete and one is missing the bar, and has a broke recoil. I was working on them today, trying to get at least one running. The complete one had no spark, so I took the coil and condenser off the other, installed on complete saw, and still no spark. The complete saw had what I believe is a eletronic ignition (no condenser), the coil and armature were one. The other saw had a condenser, coil and armature. I think the eletronic ign. must not have been original. Anyways does anybody have, or know where I can get the parts to make at least one of them spark, Im DIEING to hear one run!!! Thanks - ED

Hello Arrowhead

Hi Ed
If you shout loud enough the Pioneer Gurus will hear you and will be more than happy to answer your questions.The guys here are excellent!
Lawrence

P50 ignition

According to the P50 Illustrated Parts catalog (1975) the "Charge & trigger circ. assy (including condenser) is Pioneer #474589. I did a quick search and did not find one. The ignition coil is Pioneer #430687, also obsolete and not found. :(

I don't know if it would work, but it would be worth your time to see if you could swap the ignition stuff including the flywheel from a P51 or P52. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for helping! It would mean a lot to me to get one running. They probably have not been ran in over 20 years. Are p51 parts easier to find? Where could I find a parts catalog you refered to? Thanks - ED

Hi Ed
If you shout loud enough the Pioneer Gurus will hear you and will be more than happy to answer your questions.The guys here are excellent!
Lawrence

HEEEELP!!! I don't know what I would do without the help and knowledge from the kind people on this site! Its GREAT!! - ED

P50 ignition

My old Intertec (1989) manual says:

"Early P50 models are equipped with a multi-piece ignition system while ... (later) models are equipped with a one-piece module. ...if the plug does not fire check for loose/shorted connections/wires or for shorted stop switch. ...Early P50 ignition is not available and will require replacement with one-piece ignition system."

Flywheel air gap is .025 - .030 inches

While I don't have a listing for the later P50 ignition, from the illustrations I found it looks like the ignition from a P51 would work - if you can find the one piece module Poulan #507431484 Most folks here will know 507 is the prefix on Pioneer parts since Poulan acquired Pioneer. Too bad it's also obsolete. Anybody have a couple laying around?

P50 and P51 Illustrations

Here's the illustrations for the early P50 and the P51. Would the ignitions interchange? Your guess is as good as mine, but they look like they mount the same way and the flywheels have the same part number(474645.) Good luck!

A guy i work with just gave me a Pioneer P62 yesterday. he said it workes great except for the oil wont flow. but it starts really good and seems to cut very strong. actually i dont think i have ever felt this amount of torque in a saw before :)
The guy gave it to me because he couldn't pack it around any more (he is getting old and has a pretty bad shoulder due to an injury a few years back). he is the origional owner of this saw and wanted to see it go to a good home. he knows i like chainsaws and that i would give it the respect and attention it deserves :D .
i cant get to fixing the oiler right now because i cant get the clutch and drum off. im pretty sure its just suppose to slide off but years of use might have rendered it stuck. so im just waiting for a puller that will get it off. once its off im sure i will be able to diagnose the problem. i would bet its just buggered up hoses.
here are a couple pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

by the way, does anyone have an IPL for this or a similar saw? i have the origional users manual for it but that doesn't really tell me much on the construcion of the saw.
any coments or tips are welcome.

kurtty, Congrats on a great score! :chainsaw:Those p62's have some major balls!!

rottmansales.com has the ipl for the p62, I don't know how to bring up the link.

Rich

Latest posts

Back