Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another scan from another (later) Pioneer manual. It is for a 1074 but I think they should be virtually the same. The photos on this scan came about far better and I think they will resolve any questions. :cheers: Good Luck!

If you find my posts worthy - how about some rep points? Its the odd thing between the big dot and the red triangle at the lower left of each post.

I GOT IT! :clap: Thanks to the RobShelton scan. It is WAY easier to wind the spring in like this. Still a little frustrating but it does work. The first time I did it it slipped again and I noticed the end that is supposed to hook on the case had pulled in. I did it (for the 5th time) and bend a tight bend in the end of the spring and it stayed (for now). Thanks again RobShelton....

ps...Brendon, the clutch parts and .325 sprocket fixed the whining problems and the low pro chain cuts better than the OEM 3/8. Thank you as well.

P62 ipl

kurtty, That's some great luck on the P62! Here's a copy of the IPL in case you don't want to go looking. I've also attached a copy of the P61 IPL as it better shows how things go together.
Congratulations! Wish I had some better neighbors...

A guy i work with just gave me a Pioneer P62 yesterday. he said it workes great except for the oil wont flow. but it starts really good and seems to cut very strong. actually i dont think i have ever felt this amount of torque in a saw before :)
The guy gave it to me because he couldn't pack it around any more (he is getting old and has a pretty bad shoulder due to an injury a few years back). he is the origional owner of this saw and wanted to see it go to a good home. he knows i like chainsaws and that i would give it the respect and attention it deserves :D .
i cant get to fixing the oiler right now because i cant get the clutch and drum off. im pretty sure its just suppose to slide off but years of use might have rendered it stuck. so im just waiting for a puller that will get it off. once its off im sure i will be able to diagnose the problem. i would bet its just buggered up hoses.

by the way, does anyone have an IPL for this or a similar saw? i have the origional users manual for it but that doesn't really tell me much on the construcion of the saw.
any coments or tips are welcome.

Pioneer Ipl's

Hi fellas
I think there are few Pioneer IPL's on chainsawr.com if you want to have a look
Lawrence
P.S.
I have some older Pioneer, IEL. IPL's if you need something,but will tell you in advanc,e that it may take a few day's to get back to you

Starter spring

You're welcome, Brian. On the 5th try? Not bad! Like I said in an earlier post, it ought to be easy by the 10th time...You must be ahead of the curve! :cheers: Hopefully the end of the spring you bent will bind and stay in there. It's frustrating :censored: fixing the same thing over and over. But I suppose that is the nature of playing with old saws...

I GOT IT! :clap: Thanks to the RobShelton scan. It is WAY easier to wind the spring in like this. Still a little frustrating but it does work. The first time I did it it slipped again and I noticed the end that is supposed to hook on the case had pulled in. I did it (for the 5th time) and bend a tight bend in the end of the spring and it stayed (for now). Thanks again RobShelton....

ps...Brendon, the clutch parts and .325 sprocket fixed the whining problems and the low pro chain cuts better than the OEM 3/8. Thank you as well.

IPL's

You're exactly right Lawrence, Chainsawr.com and rottmansales.com have most of the later Pioneer IPL's. If you happen to scan any of the earlier IPL's I'd love to have copies! Or if you don't want to scan 'em, mail me copies (I will pay for copies and postage) and I can scan them. Then I can share with whoever needs 'em.

Chainsawr has tons of other IPL's also.

Hi fellas
I think there are few Pioneer IPL's on chainsawr.com if you want to have a look
Lawrence
P.S. I have some older Pioneer, IEL. IPL's if you need something,but will tell you in advanc,e that it may take a few day's to get back to you

Nuts over a nut

I need a flywheel nut for a P50. I think I have it narrowed down to a left hand 10 - 1.25 metric. Anybody know for sure? Thanks - ED:dizzy:

Nuts? Yep, we are!

Follow this convoluted chain of logic: The P50 flywheel nut is #427826 (Not available) and the crank is #474479-updated to #507475422 and this crank takes nut #507430800. This happens to be the same # as the clutch nut on the P50 IPL I have, so if you pop the clutch nut off (Left hand thread) and it fits the flywheel you can take it to the local fastener place and match it to a new one. Or more likely a package. If it fit's and you don't want to buy 25 or 50, I might be able to scrounge one up for you. By the way I read you should torque that nut to 30-35 foot pounds.

#430800 fits just about all the later large saws on both the flywheel and the clutch so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one. I see several places online that have them listed too. Search for Poulan #507430800. That is, if it fits! I'm suspicious because #427826 does not update to #507430800, but it still might work. Good luck!:dizzy:

I need a flywheel nut for a P50. I think I have it narrowed down to a left hand 10 - 1.25 metric. Anybody know for sure? Thanks - ED:dizzy:

A guy i work with just gave me a Pioneer P62 yesterday. he said it workes great except for the oil wont flow. but it starts really good and seems to cut very strong. actually i dont think i have ever felt this amount of torque in a saw before :)
The guy gave it to me because he couldn't pack it around any more (he is getting old and has a pretty bad shoulder due to an injury a few years back). he is the origional owner of this saw and wanted to see it go to a good home. he knows i like chainsaws and that i would give it the respect and attention it deserves :D .
i cant get to fixing the oiler right now because i cant get the clutch and drum off. im pretty sure its just suppose to slide off but years of use might have rendered it stuck. so im just waiting for a puller that will get it off. once its off im sure i will be able to diagnose the problem. i would bet its just buggered up hoses.
here are a couple pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

by the way, does anyone have an IPL for this or a similar saw? i have the origional users manual for it but that doesn't really tell me much on the construcion of the saw.
any coments or tips are welcome.
Thats a great lookin saw Do you know if they were ever sold in new zealand? Are they common in usa? Ive advertised over here wanting to buy one but no luck

Going nuts over a nut !!

:dizzy:On my saw the flywheel side is left hand and the clutch is right hand. I was going through some boxes of stuff I inherited along with the saws and found the original P50 illustrated parts catalogue, and owners manual, (along with a brand new clutch and air filter:clap:!!) according to the ipl I have the flywheel nut is a #427826 and the clutch nut is #430800. Maybe when they changed the crank they made them the same, but mine are different on both saws. My local fastener shops dont carry metric left hand, Im limited living in the boondocks. Im going to try a local mower/chainsaw shop today, I found a part number for a Echo trimmer that uses a left hand 10 - 1.25 nut. I think thats the size I need???:bang: I will let you know the outcome. If you can locate one that would be great!! Thanks - ED :chainsawguy:

I found my nuts!

:cheers: The flywheel nut on the P50 is a 3/8 - 24 left hand. The clutch side is the same, but it is right hand. I had to do some driving, but I got it. THANKS ROBSHELTON for helping and being willing to check your stock. As far as I know I should have all the pieces to put humpty back together again! If I don't you guys will be the first to hear about it. :cheers:

kurtty, Congrats on a great score! :chainsaw:Those p62's have some major balls!!

rottmansales.com has the ipl for the p62, I don't know how to bring up the link.

Rich
ill take a look, thanks

kurtty, That's some great luck on the P62! Here's a copy of the IPL in case you don't want to go looking. I've also attached a copy of the P61 IPL as it better shows how things go together.
Congratulations! Wish I had some better neighbors...
hey, wow thank you. that saves me alot of searching time (especially seing as how im on dialup)

Thats a great lookin saw Do you know if they were ever sold in new zealand? Are they common in usa? Ive advertised over here wanting to buy one but no luck
thanks for the complements. i dont know if it was ever sold in new Zealand. im also not to sure how common they are in the USA as im a Canadian. what i do know is that mine was made in Peterborough Ontario Canada. im pretty sure thats where the pioneer headquarters where.
i would sell you mine but the guy who gave it to me had allot of sentimental value for it. it would break his heart if i sold it to someone. so i figure ill just do what ever i can to fix it up and maybe even give it a new paint job.

Nuts...again

Glad you found what you needed. I was thinking that nut is 3/8 16 or 24 but wasn't sure enough to post it! It's the same size as my Farmsaw and all the later P series large saws. I'm sure we all look forward to reading more about your progress! :)

:cheers: The flywheel nut on the P50 is a 3/8 - 24 left hand. The clutch side is the same, but it is right hand. I had to do some driving, but I got it. THANKS ROBSHELTON for helping and being willing to check your stock. As far as I know I should have all the pieces to put humpty back together again! If I don't you guys will be the first to hear about it. :cheers:

Decals and paint???

Does anybody make after market decals for the P50? Also, what is the best paint to use for it, and the color codes? Thanks - ED :chainsaw:

Decals

Hello Arrowhead
You might want to try Sugar Creek Supply.you can find information on his company on Magnus's site Chainsaw collectors se.I have not had dealings with him ,just know of him through Chainsaw Collectors se.
Lawrence

Decals

Arrowhead, I think Brendon had some decals made for his P41 Western so you might want to ask him about it. He should be back from his vacation soon. He also might know the paint codes. He posted a photo of a paint can showing the mix for the yellow on his P41 - might be the same? In truth, any good paint store can match just about any color provided you can find a spot on the saw to match that has not faded. He was using a urethane for durability but I think the factory paint was probably enamel, if that makes any difference to you.

Does anybody make after market decals for the P50? Also, what is the best paint to use for it, and the color codes? Thanks - ED :chainsaw:

What are these like? sort of an odd looking thing?

The Pioneer 450 is the Pioneer saws attempt at making an early version of a horizontal cylinder layout saw engine. They are very heavy for their size, usually ran short bars and of course they were slow turning but had a lot of torque to chew through hard wood. I remember very well spending time with a logger that ran the 450 and NU17 in the woods every year cutting saw logs and pulp. They were very stout saws, I got them from his son and have rebuilt the NU17 but just cleaned up the 450, they both run like new. I will include a pict of each so others will know what we are talking about.

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

Pioneerguy600

Hi guys, I'm back from my working vacation in Mexico, and boy, was it hot!
It's good to see some activity on our Pioneer thread and I'd like to add a few comments...
First of all, stone69er, your saw looks fantastic. Very nice work on that one.
And for Brian, I'm glad to see the parts worked out and you're running your saw again.
Arrowhead, welcome to the thread and congrats on the P50's. If you can send me a pic of the ignition part you need, I might be able to set you up there. As for paint, I posted some info earlier including the mixing codes for the paint I used. I've never seen a tougher paint. I'm still waiting for the decals to arrive for my P41 and I'll let you know how they turn out. He can easily recreate P50 decals for you with a couple of photographs.

Hello Propliner!

I forgot to mention in one of my messages (the one where I mentioned I found a new clutch and air filter) that I also did find a coil in the box of stuff I brought back.:cheers: As you may have read I inherited these saws. One was complete, the other is 60% complete. Im concentrating on the one saw for now, but I will need a ignition and flywheel for the other for sure. I did a compression check on both and they had 145-150 compression! The pistons and cylinders look like new, I was amazed. As far as I know I should have everything for the one now. I can't wait to hear it run, and feel the power everybody mentions that the pioneers have. Im not the greatest on a computer, but I will try to post a pic of the complete one if I can figure it out. Keep in mind these saws were used to make a living logging for a few years, then sat on a dirt floor in a barn for the last 20 years. They not the prettiest things right now, but with the help from the great people on this site they will soon be! Thanks - ED :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back