Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The previous owner was using these on an Alaskan mill, with a 36" bar. Don't worry, he still hasa "big stihl" to use on the mill. It's an 029. :D

Both look to be in great shape. One looks like he ran it without the airfilter, though. Airfilter was missing, sawdust in the intake, 100psi. :( Hopefully rings will take care of that.

The other one is at 145psi.

Sounds like a winner.;)

Nice saws. Same as a P-42. Hopefully the rings will bring that one back.

Redunshee

The Pioneer Gurus wiil come to your aid,hang tight! They know who they are,their just a modest bunch! Shy,heck no,but modest,yes.Not really the high horse, nose stuck in the air type of fellas.
Ahem,Gurus someone needs your help here!
Lawrence

The Pioneer Gurus wiil come to your aid,hang tight! They know who they are,their just a modest bunch! Shy,heck no,but modest,yes.Not really the high horse, nose stuck in the air type of fellas.
Ahem,Gurus someone needs your help here!
Lawrence

Thanks man, this 405 is driving me to drink. Lots of power at wot but idles way too high. Which is why I'm wondering if the accelerator pump on carb is screwed up. I disabled the governor but haven't touched the pump. Need to know if its worth the effort.
Bob

Do you have another good functioning carb that you could try. That would pinpoint whether it is the carb that is the problem or something else. Sounds like it is running too lean at idle if you have turned down the idle screw for the throttle properly.

Do you have another good functioning carb that you could try. That would pinpoint whether it is the carb that is the problem or something else. Sounds like it is running too lean at idle if you have turned down the idle screw for the throttle properly.

I did. Now think I have a seal leak. Spread some grease around the seals and noticed some small holes where the vacuum was sucking it in. Ordered two new seals.

Now I'm sure I'm just a ig-nernt goober - and first attempt at posting pic

I'm pretty embarassed, but I'm going to man up and fess up. About ten years ago, a young man (you'll have to picture Banjo Boy from Deliverance) gladly took my $50 for two lumps of junk that would soon become about 1.5 saws. They were little Pioneers (funny color, though) so they must be P42s. The next size after P42 was P52, right? Wrong. I can't blame Banjo Boy, because he may never had told me they were 42s, and I probably just assumed they were. Having been isolated from any other Pioneer folks for a long time, one of the hundred things that I recently learned on AS is that there were P45s and pp455s. Kinda got a hankerin' to have me one; sure would be a sweet size of saw to have. I even began to check into a pp455 top end.

Digging out a set of P41 rings to send up to Timberdollars must have gotten something working in the back of my little beer-soaked mind. I woke up last night with a vague memory of the pistons in the funny yeller P42s being bigger than those rings, back when I had them torn down. Went out today and pulled the mufflers to do rough measurements across the bores: they measured about 1 62/64"! Obviously, they must be P45s or pp455s, or one of each. No wonder they have so much torque. I still plan to keep them for when I'm too old to handle my bigger saws.

My sincere apologies for any incorrect statements or information about my supposed P42s (I recall responding to Apse and others regarding boost ports) and for any other BS I may have blathered.

Hanging my head in shame,
Hillwilliam

View attachment 218252

:givebeer:
I'm pretty embarassed, but I'm going to man up and fess up. About ten years ago, a young man (you'll have to picture Banjo Boy from Deliverance) gladly took my $50 for two lumps of junk that would soon become about 1.5 saws. They were little Pioneers (funny color, though) so they must be P42s. The next size after P42 was P52, right? Wrong. I can't blame Banjo Boy, because he may never had told me they were 42s, and I probably just assumed they were. Having been isolated from any other Pioneer folks for a long time, one of the hundred things that I recently learned on AS is that there were P45s and pp455s. Kinda got a hankerin' to have me one; sure would be a sweet size of saw to have. I even began to check into a pp455 top end.

Digging out a set of P41 rings to send up to Timberdollars must have gotten something working in the back of my little beer-soaked mind. I woke up last night with a vague memory of the pistons in the funny yeller P42s being bigger than those rings, back when I had them torn down. Went out today and pulled the mufflers to do rough measurements across the bores: they measured about 1 62/64"! Obviously, they must be P45s or pp455s, or one of each. No wonder they have so much torque. I still plan to keep them for when I'm too old to handle my bigger saws.

My sincere apologies for any incorrect statements or information about my supposed P42s (I recall responding to Apse and others regarding boost ports) and for any other BS I may have blathered.

Hillwilliam

View attachment 218252

:rock::cheers::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

RA Restoration

Hey guys, I`m slowly working on my first full restoration. Normally I rebuild work saws mechanically. This time it`s going to be cosmetic as well. I fell in love with the RA after seeing Jerry`s (Pioneerguy600) pics of his beautiful restoration. Mine`s not going to be in that league but I have to start somewhere. Here`s a picture of what I`m starting with. I`m assembling the best saw from this saw and two parts saws. I`m still missing a few bits and pieces. Right now everything is in buckets. If anyone has a rubber starter handle in really good condition please PM me. I`d also be interested in any available NOS parts for the build.

attachment.php

Hey guys, I`m slowly working on my first full restoration. Normally I rebuild work saws mechanically. This time it`s going to be cosmetic as well. I fell in love with the RA after seeing Jerry`s (Pioneerguy600) pics of his beautiful restoration. Mine`s not going to be in that league but I have to start somewhere. Here`s a picture of what I`m starting with. I`m assembling the best saw from this saw and two parts saws. I`m still missing a few bits and pieces. Right now everything is in buckets. If anyone has a rubber starter handle in really good condition please PM me. I`d also be interested in any available NOS parts for the build.

attachment.php

Good to hear you are about to start the restoration, I will be watching your progress and have the base gasket here that I need to get into the mail to you.

P45 and 455's

Hillwilliam

View attachment 218252

OH stop battering yourself!!! its all good and about learning! NOW you need to check if they are P45's or pp455's, some 45 did NOT have the third transfer but all 455's "SHOULD" have the third transfer that you can see from the outside behind the coil!! ( these are my personal favorite it terms of shear flow and power, blowing strait out the exguast port)
Doesn't really matter they are GREAT saws and my favorite size too use if I need something bigger than a p41/405 (Pretty rare)
You have nice saws and I am increasing my collection of pioneer/poulans within a few days if all goes well!!!!!!

there are exceptions to the info listed above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many upgrade kits were available over time.

Those cheapo Poulan/Pioneer saws aren't so cheap anymore!!! people are catching on too our little Secret.

Duane

Back