Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading the info on the P series fuel caps swelling up and realized that's what I've had happen to a couple of them. I'm going to try the freezing technique and I'm glad I didn't throw away the old ones that swelled up.
Is there a way to keep the caps from swelling up in the first place?
What causes the swelling?
I've had some original ones swell at 30+ years old and the the replacement NOS one swelled in a year of very little use.

I think it may be Ethanol. The swelling on mine went away with time and no fuel contact. I too used a jewelers file to make mine fit while swelled. It isn't pretty but it works.

Hello! New to this thread... Last summer I finally asked for the old Pioneer. This saw belonged to a grandfather I never met. He passed long before I was born but the story goes... He bought this saw new and was one of the first in the area to own a chainsaw. My father can remember cutting wood with him using a large hand saw. He thought it was the cats meow when he got it. So it hasn't ran since I've been alive. I'd like to get it running, no full resto for me. I can't imagine I will use it very often. The reason I'm posting is for advice. Hoping someone has been in this situation before and can share the knowledge. Is there a carb rebuild kit I can order?
In the beginning of May there is a PA GTG & I'd love to be able to run it there.

They are really easy to get up and running especially if they don`t need any new parts. The carb kits are easily found, look for Tillotson HL rebuild kits. The complete rebuild kits are RK 88 HL and the soft parts only kits are DG 5 HL. available from any small engine shop or off eBay.

40:1 is what I run in mine, use good quality mix oil designed for chainsaws. I use 40:1 in all of my saws, old and newer, Stihl blue, Jonsered ,Husqvarana or whatever I pick up when out around the saw shops.

That saw is a nice example of a late model 610, it looks from the picts that it was built druing the last run before the 620 came out as it has a 620 front handle on it as well as a clutch cover that was destined for the first 620 run since I can see the white underpaint showing through the clutch cover, the early 620`s had the whiteish clutch cover.

Looked like this one:
images

Carb is rebuilt and ready for the new filter, which is on the way. I pulled the glass fuel bowl, the gasket was brittle so i was thinking I could use a correct size o-ring, thoughts? Also, do I need to remove 2 screws to get the base off or just the internal one?

Back