Piston opinion/review meteor MS 360-48mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys,
Just took delivery of a Bailey's Meteor 48mm Piston for a MS 360. Looks like I might want to have better eyes then mine have a look. None of my other pistons in the junk/ashtray pile have skirts that look like these. Will the rough edges and non squareness have an effect on performance or am I just that unaware of how they "should" look. also having a bear of a time uploading photo's to new format.

attachment.php

View attachment 168730
attachment.php

View attachment 168731

View attachment 168732
attachment.php

Some oems do have the extended tabs on the skirts. The 1 skirt bottom looks pretty crappy. Is it on the intake side?

Some oems do have the extended tabs on the skirts. The 1 skirt bottom looks pretty crappy. Is it on the intake side?

Both sides albert,
Looks real uneven and like a bite was taken out. smooth on the outside where contact might occur with cyl but looks like a bite was taken out.

Is there a button we can press to get Gregg( grande dog) on the line ???

Your photos are fuzzy, but what I can make out looks OK to me. Meteors often have the "wings" on the skirt to provide more support, similar to some OEM pistons.

the very bottom of the piston(top in the photo as it is upside down) looks uneven and like a piece broke off. the Mahle next to it has a square edge and it is flat accross the bottom. in the third photo they are bottom to bottom and there is plenty of gaps. Does the bottom of the skirt have any effect ?

looks like they fell short when pouring that one ,but it must have passed there QC ......if they got one

I agree... Definitely looks like the pour came up a little light:sidefrown:. Unless the pour/vent Risers enter the mould at the skirt???? I'd say it would be better to ask for an exchange. I suppose it may be possible to grind out the "nasties" at the bottom of the skirt and clean it up but that would be beyond MY current level of experience level.

Last edited:
That Meteor looks crudely done to me, not what I would expect based on the posts made here at AS. I'd ask for an exchange, and also ask someone at Bailey's with piston knowledge to examine the new piston before they ship it.

Hi Angelo, the bottom of the intake skirt will affect intake timming, the bottom of the exhaust skirt doesn't, unless it is way short and opens the port at TDC. How does the skirt lengths compare to stock? A common mod is to file off .5-1mm off the bottom of the intake skirt to give more intake duration. I probaly would ask for another piston, I hope this is not a sign of the future quality of meteor pistons, I got one a few weeks ago in the new green power box and it didn't seem quit as nice as others I have used in the past. I was told the new box is only a"box" change, still the same pistons.

I got two like that, I think it is a casting flaw. I called them on the first one and told them about it and they sent me a new one. The new one came looking the same way so I talked with a tech. and he said to clean up the rough edges on the corners and it would not effect the performance of the saw. It seems the very corners of the skirt are missing some material when they cast them. So I cleaned up the corners ( I did'nt want to wait any longer for another one) and ran it, seems to be ok. I have put about 3 tanks though it and it runs good. I hope the quality gets better that was my first Meteor piston I have ever used.

Thanks guys, there ain't a chance I'm putting that one on. My concern was that the skirts are not square so how would you know what the timing is? In the photo you can see the old square bottom and the new FUBARd one. Baileys has been good about ending out replacements, lets see if they will again.

This is the second post Ive seen in the last 2 weeks of people having prolems with meteor pistons. I wander whats up there. Good luck getting things fixed. Rick!

Only way I would use that piston is.
If it was the only one I could get.
I bought a Meteor for 066 after holding it up
to OEM piston. The Meteor is still in it's box, I will not use it.

TT

I've used meteor pistons quite a few times in the past and I never experienced the casting flaws like pictured in this thread. To be quite honest, its a bit disturbing because I have always viewed Meteor as being a so called "Superior" aftermarket brand.

TT - if you get a chance you should pull your meteor 066 piston out and snap a picture next to a used OEM 066 piston.

That's the first time I've seen this with Meteor.....I have two at the shop right now. One for a 262 and one for a 272 and they are not like yours. I have always found Meteor to be of nearly the same quality as Mahle. Perhaps not quite as smooth on the inside but machined very well on the parts that matter. That said I don't think there is any thing really wrong with this piston as the thrust faces are intact and the right length, machined well and these "problem" areas are outside the intake and exhaust port area, so as mtngun said I'd probably grumble a bit and run it.

Tecomec/precision tooling now sells pistons/rings for a lot of the older saws

Might want to try them?

SUITABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING CHAIN SAWS:
MAKE FITS
DESCRIPTION
PART NO.
O.E.M. REF.
STIHL
034-036 Cylinder assy Ø 48 mm

PRECISION TOOLING

Will have to go through a US distributor..........
1125 020 1213
Piston assy
1125 030 2001

Howdy,
We have always had a 30 day warranty so that if you get something from us, and you don't like the way it parts its hair, we'll exchange, credit, or refund you as long as the item is unused. No questions asked.
So far with us Meteor has had a decent track record. I know there has a been a couple as of late but, I think the first one was modified. Our sales of their product has climbed since the start. Like everybody else, I hope their increased production doesn't come at the cost of quality.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
We have always had a 30 day warranty so that if you get something from us, and you don't like the way it parts its hair, we'll exchange, credit, or refund you as long as the item is unused. No questions asked.

Regards
Gregg

Gregg,
I was hoping you would find this thread. I've never had anything but good experiences with Baileys or Meteor before. You're a stand up guy. And one "hairy" piston won't stop me from ordering again. I was hoping some better trained "eyes" would confirm my concerns about this one piston.
thanks
Angelo

Latest posts

Back