Pole Saw- Stihl HT 131- Any thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will likely be purchasing out of necessity.

Anyone use one and if so any thoughts?

Thanks.
I got a sh stihl km130 pole saw, its 4mix and when you get used to it the tool has so much torque and quiet to use. It has a good reach I also got an extension for it so can reach anything about 12-15 foot high. I have cut 12" branches with it at a push but that can be a bit dodgy as your usually somewhere below the branch. You may not use it every day but will definitely find it a very handy tool to have. With the kombi I have the hedge cutter attachment too so it's a versatile tool. Good luck hope you find something that's right for you.

No comment other than I bought the HF 20 volt battery powered polesaw and it works just fine. Have a lot of 20 volt batteries as I have a ton of Bauer 20 volt cordless tools. Comes with an Oregon lo-pro chain and Oregon bar.

Have a 131, about 6 years now, great for our nine acres. It's gone on storm clean up trips with me also.
Adjusted the valves a few times. Anytime a 4smoke gets grumpy about starting check the valves,
Yes they are heavy, will wear your arms.
The pole lock doesn't, stick the bar a bit and the pole WILL extend out, pull hard enough, it'll separate.
15 minutes with a pole saw creates an hour and a half of brush hauling.
The yard and pasture fences are much better looking cuz, pole saw.
Yes it will happily take down branches diameter as long as the bar.
There is no such thing as a pole saw with a long enough pole.
The saw head will bolt right on a 131R weed whip. Nice for fence line work and reaching into shrub type growth, more nimble, easier on the arms.
I'd buy another one. Easy start, the 4mix tolerates extended idling VERY well.
If I didn't have such a large place I'd consider a battery unit.
I still want a battery pole lopper...... ;^)
Chinese replacement caps work better then the PITA oems at least the ones they came with 6 years ago.
Use a bit of caution cuz spring back is a thing cutting high branches.

I love the motor although I have not performed any maintenance on it yet, then again, it hasn't needed anything other than fuel. I find it very reliable, easy to start, idles nice, lots of low rev power, and it is quieter than others in my stable. I love the reach. The collar on mine has not come loose, it stays where I tighten it. I find it heavy but I am a smaller guy. I try as much as possible to balance the weight, so that I am more or less at the fulcrum point. This reduces the effective reach but also reduces the strain on me. I can only run it for a couple of hours at most. If I only have a couple of branches to do, that is a different story, I can get closer to the engine end and reach out farther. Would I buy it again? Probably not. I would opt for something lighter if I could get similar reach, but that is not through any fault of the tool, it is my limitations. For someone stronger than me, or if you don't have to run it for hours at a time, I highly recommend it.

I have a ht131. Its an absolute beast. Very reliable. Always starts 1st or 2nd pull. I cut down some branches that were a good 12" in diameter with it. Even with the bar buried, it just kept on pulling.
My only complaint is that the t30 screws towards the top and bottom of the pole. Make sure those are tight. Otherwise you'll pull on the powerhead, and the powerhead will separate from the shaft. I put medium threadlocker on my screws. I say get one if you need one. Mine paid for itself in a day.

Thanks for all the responses. I definitely need a pole saw and hopefully its utility will exceed my expectations.
Truth of the matter is, I never had a saw not pay me back in spades.

...Those with a significant other, feel free to use the previous sentence when needed.

Thanks again.

I’ve had an HT131 for almost 7 years, wouldn’t be without one. I’ve had absolutely no issues with it, and have used the $hit out of It. Aside from what one would normally use these for, it’s also a great way to make dangerous cuts while being able to stay out of harms way.

Latest posts

Back