pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unclemoustache,

Extend that baby out to 16', run it for an hour and let us know how manly you feel.:innocent:

OK - I did as requested. I extended it out to 16' and ran it for an hour. No problems. Didn't tire me a bit.

........... then I picked it up and tried to cut some branches.......... :innocent:

The one thing I have learned running a pole saw is to make several cuts, especially as the limb gets bigger. If one tries to take off a limb in one cut, it increases the odds of the bar pinching as the limbs starts to fall. Then it is easy for the limb to take the saw with it and bend the power shaft. Very expensive thing to fix. The closer you are to vertical, the more this increases the risk.

Well, I can't say I wasn't warned!!

IMG_1817.JPG

Extension shaft pulled right out! Got it down fine, but the chain was bent a bit. Bent it back, and it still runs fine, but it might need a bit more work. Very handy tool. I hope I get my money's worth out of it. So far so good. It saved me some climbing on this job anyway, and another one yesterday.

View attachment 498261

Extension shaft pulled right out! Got it down fine, but the chain was bent a bit. Bent it back, and it still runs fine, but it might need a bit more work. Very handy tool. I hope I get my money's worth out of it. So far so good. It saved me some climbing on this job anyway, and another one yesterday.

I just love 'in-field' training, techniques, procedures, what to do and...what not to do! complete with pictures... :)

ps: good pix!

View attachment 498261

Sorry, but I am laughing right now.:innocent:

That is a perfect example of what I was trying to explain.

However you got lucky, if the limb had continued downward and caught the power tube, bad damage could result, glad that didn't happen. In this case, 3 cuts is better than one.

I've also got the Echo PPT-280 and a 4' extension. Great saws. I originally was going to buy the Stihl HT-131 but after trying them side-by-side, back and forth, I liked the Echo better.

PPT-280-03.JPG

Nobody else has tried Tanaka polesaws? Got a 25 cc model 2.5 yrs back, with 2' extension. Have worked it hard, with 10" OEM b&c up to 18" 3/8" LP b&c. Worked fine with both, bucking big hickory & oak in reasonable-sized chunks with extension.
Bud who's run the Tanaka and (unspecified) Stihl polesaws pronounced the Tanaka much lighter. I've run it for 5-6 hrs a day, no problem.
Still behaves like new.

Nobody else has tried Tanaka polesaws? Got a 25 cc model 2.5 yrs back, with 2' extension. Have worked it hard, with 10" OEM b&c up to 18" 3/8" LP b&c. Worked fine with both, bucking big hickory & oak in reasonable-sized chunks with extension.
Bud who's run the Tanaka and (unspecified) Stihl polesaws pronounced the Tanaka much lighter. I've run it for 5-6 hrs a day, no problem.
Still behaves like new.
Wow. Look who's back!

When I got this notification I knew you'd be pimping the Tanaka.

polesaw on the farm today, 60 foot reach with optional accessories...

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_115017.jpg
    IMG_20160420_115017.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 31
Is that hydraulic?

Yes, a freehand long hydraulic I guess, then that stihl tophandle in the bucket as well. Real fast good cutters, real efficient crews. They are taking names up and down the road here, clearing lines. they got like at least ten pieces of big equipment. They have another one I didn't get a picture of, operator sits below, huge long boom with a bigazz chainsaw mounted on it. Then there's another one same deal, like big skidder sized, with a huge circular saw on it at the end of the boom. Big chippers and each truck got like around 4 guys in it. I was gone when they did in front of our house, they bushwhacked a pecan, and before my GF could get out the door they had run the branches through the chipper! That fast, pull up, wham bam, stuff is cut and chipped, move on down the line.

The two guys in the pic where wayyy impressed with oakzilla, what is left of it, I told them where I lived down the street and they go hellya we saw that!!. Today, they were cutting inside the security gate side of the chicken farm end of the farm, just starting, all the various lines to the buildings and employee houses, etc., when I drove through to go get diesel for the tractor and fill up the spray tank from the hydrant. I just had to stop and compliment them and get a pic. If I had the free time I'd shoot them some coffee and donuts and follow them around grabbing big chunks before they got chipped.

most hydraulic pole saws like that are insulated from electrical shock too. i hate them and never use em myself. too heavy and messy

Latest posts

Back