Poll: How many people w/OWB's own logsplitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a OWB

• Logsplitter: Yes

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Logsplitter: No

Votes: 16 17.6%

• Total voters

WVwoodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am just curious as to the number of people that have logsplitters for their OWB's.

yes I do

with the amount of wood that I burn a season my hands would be worn down to nubs my back would be all tooled up and I would have a pile of worn out mauls in the corner.

I rent one twice a year for $25 a time. I stock pile all the big stuff and split it at once. $50 bucks a year isnt bad i dont think.

Log Splitter

I cut my logs 44" long so I have to split the big ones with a maul. A log splitter to do logs that lenghth would be to costly.:chainsaw:

Tw6

I bought a Timberwolf TW6. Damned there casued me banckruptcy and a divorce but I really do like the thing, especially the log lift.

I am new at this - this is my first winter with a woodburner and I did get a logsplitter. I have been cutting wood that is large to 24" lengths and splitting into pieces that I can lift and get into the woodburner easily. The smaller pieces get cut to 30" lengths - they get too hard to stack neatly and waste storage space if I cut them any longer.

It does make some sense to rent the splitter once or twice a year if you can do it that way. I don't think that would work for me as I cut wood when the weather permits and sometimes it is only for a few hours after work until dark sets in.

joy's of ownership

They're called logsplitter's but they have many uses. I use mine to dismount tires, crush most anything, bend pipe/tubing, and occasionally show off. You wouldn't believe the question's people ask me. "what is that?" is my fav. I tell em it's a "big bale cutter".

Could'nt live without one! The funny thing is....The size of the split wood gets smaller/lighter every year for some reason! LOL!

If it don't fit through the door then I continue to cut it with the saw. Split wood is for those pretty, polished indoor stoves. Burn the rounds!:chainsaw:

I have a OWB but still split anything over 8" so it will dry.

I'm already looking at a bigger/faster splitter. :dizzy:

If it don't fit through the door then I continue to cut it with the saw. Split wood is for those pretty, polished indoor stoves. Burn the rounds!:chainsaw:

I do the same. I don't have a splitter and I cut the wood to "lifting size". I prefer to spend time with the saw than a back breaking log splitter. I cut my rounds so I can "frisbee" it into the OWB.

View attachment 64891

What kinda stove you got there? can you fit several 18"-40" dia rounds in your stove? Trust me rounds are the way to go....But there comes a point when your mind overpowers your back..............................Split it:cheers:

I cut some huge stuff that would never fit in my stove without splitting it. Split the first few years by hand and got tired of that fast. I don't really like cutting big stuff, just can't pass it up. You get a huge yield out of a big tree.

Big reason we got the OWB is that we do not need a wood slpitter. Don't use one, don't need one, don't want one. Well, unless you consider a 361 a round splitter...

The tree service that drops off wood for me gives me the big rounds. As in, 36in rounds. Got to have a splitter for that stuff. I Also like to get the wood nice and dry.

They're called logsplitter's but they have many uses. I use mine to dismount tires, crush most anything, bend pipe/tubing, and occasionally show off. You wouldn't believe the question's people ask me. "what is that?" is my fav. I tell em it's a "big bale cutter".

Never thought of using to to break beads on tires. I use my skidloader bucket for that most of the time. I will have to try the splitter.

Don't know about your Oustside Wood Burner, but mine won't take a 40" round. Even if it would fit, I think the split stuff burns better. I only use my splitter several times a year, but when I need it, I am glad to have it.

Last edited:
Used a monster maul to split for many years, Untill i hurt my wrist three years ago and had a yard full of wood to split. knew that it was not going to happen, so went and bought a huskee. Kinda of amazed what it will split. This year it went through some big sweet gum pretty easy. :chainsawguy:

Back