Pondering adding a 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon you're all good with a 261 and 462 unless you really find that the 462 is too small and in which case you could go a 661, as others have said, as your third saw.
I agree with resisting the urge to just buy for the sake of it.

According to Stihl…

462 = 13.2
500 = 13.9 (same weight as my 440)

I “want” a 500 but if I get ahold of myself and calm down I realize my 440 is all the “big” saw I need.

I need more “metal health” care with the smaller saws.
…have 241…250…261…362…391…

I did sell my 260 and 359 recently so I’m not an addict….right?…

546694BF-F5AE-4976-A3FE-4999DC0E19F1.jpeg

Looking for a two/three saw plan. Currently have a 261 w/18” bar and a 462 w/20” bar and 28” spare should any need arise. I am really liking the 500 but cant decide to add it with a 24” bar and sell the 462 or just add the 500 and call it a day For a three saw stable? Also have a little 150 for real small stuff.
So buy the 500I and see how things work out, cutting.

Save your money. Don’t get caught up in the consumer obsession of chasing instant gratification. You mention you have what you need and you already have a 3 saw plan that covers every eventuality, be content with that.
Well, you’re no fun…

On paper the 500 is real close to the 661in power but the 500 is lighter. Was looking at the 661 until I saw how close they were. No real world experience using them though.
Totally different saws, imo. 661 has torque all day long with big bars…36, 42… the 500 will pull a 36 but it is not happy.

OP should just keep his 462 unless he wants a certain level of redundancy in his line up. When I was doing tree work, having redundancy is almost a requirement IMO, in case one saw goes down. Otherwise, there really isn't a very good reason...unless it's just CAD. In that case, definitely go add a 500i...if your heart is pulling for a 500i, you won't be happy until you have a 500i.

Well, you’re no fun…
But sensible!

I'm a homeowner firewood guy, bought my 500i because it's FUN. Wasn't practical. Saws I had already were just fine for my needs. Hell, the cost of the 500i would have bought years of wood.

But it's fun, makes me smile every time I use it, and I don't regret buying a ridiculous saw for my needs in the slightest.

But sensible!

I'm a homeowner firewood guy, bought my 500i because it's FUN. Wasn't practical. Saws I had already were just fine for my needs. Hell, the cost of the 500i would have bought a lot of wood.

But it's fun, makes me smile every time I use it, and I don't regret buying a ridiculous saw for my needs in the slightest.
Yes, they certainly are fun to run.

Back