Poor Quality Videos--Downhilling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No noise, and I'm learning how to do this.
object>

Here's the full length feature. The camera was shaky. I'd been up on top with the hooktender and assistant, was sweating profusely and attracting those annoying little flies that like to bite. Notice how slow downhilling is, and they are barely up the hill.

object>

i know very little about yarding,the little i had done was very steep uphill yarding,and it seemed pretty hard sometimes for two guys to drag the mainline downhill,we had 1600'i think?how do they get the mainline up the hill?

i know very little about yarding,the little i had done was very steep uphill yarding,and it seemed pretty hard sometimes for two guys to drag the mainline downhill,we had 1600'i think?how do they get the mainline up the hill?

They spend half a day. on this unit, lugging up sections of smaller haywire. They pack the blocks up too. The haywire is looped around blocks which are located at the top of the unit, which doubles it, and the skyline is then attached and pulled up. After the first corridor is set up, they can send the sections of haywire up on the rigging. They did the haywire packing on a day when they couldn't yard because of the fire danger. The haywire is used as a haulback, to get the carriage back up the hill.

ahhh "blocks"="double"o.k., i wondered what those were.thanks also so if you are ahead of your game and have enough man power after the first corridor is set you can start laying out haywire downhill in the next?is that kinda how it works? the first corridors the toughest?i will quit with questions now...haha

Last edited:
ahhh "blocks"="double"o.k., i wondered what those were.thanks also so if you are ahead of your game and have enough man power after the first corridor is set you can start laying out haywire downhill in the next?is that kinda how it works? the first corridors the toughest?i will quit with questions now...haha

Correct. If planned properly.

Don't forget about spool trucks!

You can also start a layout as mentioned with haywire form the yarder side and or use a spool truck (basically a small yarder mounted on a truck frame one huge spool of 7/16 or 1/2 inch line) and a few blocks you run the spool line from the truck to next tailhold to the riggin send it in hook it to the haywire drum pull enough slack it wont run off stays connected to the spool truck though, run in you're mainline, hook the spool line at the yarder to the mainline eye, and pull the mainline to the new tailhold using the spool truck. They work real slick as long as You have roads to access to use them save alot of time stringing haywire through an entire unit. You can get pretty ingenuitive using one and get in some quick road changes. Anyone else ever used em for changing roads?

Latest posts

Back