Poping trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold and calm last night an d no poping, I think they are all frozen up solid again and wont do it unless we have another heat cycle like the other weekend...

Plus, if only light mattered the trees in the higher elevations would be in deep doo doo. For any topographically challenged members, temperatures are colder at higher elevations, and on different slope aspects, and also in some creek bottoms.

Did you know that boiling sap at night is not good according to the (hope I spell it right) Ojibwa people? Some friends I made in Wisconsin told me that after they fell asleep (with the help of some adult beverage) and their sap boiled out, warping their pan? :)

Except for a small few tree types, it ain't temperature that causes sap to start running, or leaves to fall, or whatever... it's the ratio of daylight to darkness that does. As the days get longer the trees start waking-up, as the days get shorter the trees go to sleep... temperature has nothing to do with it. As I started this post though, there are a small few that will react to temperature... I believe some of the soft maples do.

So you admit, you're wrong then?

Only more of one thang will make one more right.

bikini_line_large.jpg
This sure gets my sap flowing, deep drilling required.

I don't know about trees so much, but after living in the south for awhile after growing up in Nebraska, the fish are definitely larger down south. I believe it's because of the warm water. I have a friend that lives farther northeast, and the bass and walleye are smaller up there he says. I think the warmer water longer in the year allows the fish to grow larger. I noticed while living in the south, the womens breasts seem to be larger there also. I sure miss that :confused:

Sorry Spidey - you're wrong. It's all about the temps.

We tap 30,000 trees here, been around maple all my life (I'm over 50).
Yep, we've got some large operations here too. We don't refer to trees, we refer to the number of taps in an operation. A very large and healthy Sugar Maple could have many taps, perhaps approaching a half dozen.
Ideally, we hope for 20s at night and 40s during the day for good runs. That's about optimal conditions.

I don't know about trees so much, but after living in the south for awhile after growing up in Nebraska, the fish are definitely larger down south. I believe it's because of the warm water. I have a friend that lives farther northeast, and the bass and walleye are smaller up there he says. I think the warmer water longer in the year allows the fish to grow larger. I noticed while living in the south, the womens breasts seem to be larger there also. I sure miss that :confused:

Something change since '92 or so? When I was in GA for 3 years, it was world headquarters for the Itty Bitty T~~~~ Committee.

I grow apple trees and if we have a early spring like a couple years ago my trees had buds opening on them by now. Their still dormant as heck this year. Heck there's a foot of snow on the ground. I think it's all temperature.

Once the set dormancy period of each tree is met, they can, and will bud if the temperatures are high enough, at any time. Higher sun angle certainly plays a major role in producing sufficient temps great enough, and of long enough duration to cause bud break.

If sunlight were the controlling factor of sap flow then wouldn't sap flow occur virtually at the same time every year? Yes I realize there are sunny days and cloudy days but it would be pretty damn close to the same time each year.

Just because there is sunlight doesn't necessarily mean air temps will be warm enough to cause sap to flow. Yesterday was completely sunny all day, but air temp only reached 12 degrees. It takes several days of above freezing temps to start the process. As vermonster stated, 20's at night 40's during the day. One day of cold daytime temps and the run shuts right off. Every year is different and is dictated by the weather.

Latest posts

Back