Portable Dual Fuel Generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem is the consumption rate while using. Consumption is normally 3X that of a diesel generator, and even greater when comparing it to gasoline.

Additionally especially in colder climates, the power seems to go out at the worst times, propane's capability to output can be greatly reduced and effected by the volume still in the tank and by temperature.

If you are out of power a lot then I would agree you should go diesel but the OP already has a 1000 gallon propane tank and didn't say he is out of power all the time. I like our propane set up as the gas never gets old. I have a tender on the battery. If I am gone the wife can go down in the basement flip the switches start it up and she is good to go. If you have a diesel you better maintain it and make sure the fuel stays fresh. The OP would need another tank and a way to haul fuel. I do have diesel on the farm so I do have some around. No more than I am out of power the propane works fine and buying the used Onan out of a wrecked RV was cheap 20 years ago when I bought it.

If the OP has a tractor with a 3 point hitch, you can get a generator for the hitch. Would work just fine for the occasional use (it is a shame to burn up a tractor to generate power) and would still be somewhat mobile. I have toyed with this idea as I have two diesel powered tractors and a off road diesel fuel tank. Went with the Hondas for quiet and ease of maintenance but if I found a used 3 point generator for the right price, I probably would purchase it.

If the OP has a tractor with a 3 point hitch, you can get a generator for the hitch. Would work just fine for the occasional use (it is a shame to burn up a tractor to generate power) and would still be somewhat mobile. I have toyed with this idea as I have two diesel powered tractors and a off road diesel fuel tank. Went with the Hondas for quiet and ease of maintenance but if I found a used 3 point generator for the right price, I probably would purchase it.
I had considered this as well. We do have a JD 5425 loader tractor that is usually at my place but it does bounce around between my place and my parent's farm site. 2x 500 gallon diesel barrels at my farm site.

If the OP has a tractor with a 3 point hitch, you can get a generator for the hitch. Would work just fine for the occasional use (it is a shame to burn up a tractor to generate power) and would still be somewhat mobile. I have toyed with this idea as I have two diesel powered tractors and a off road diesel fuel tank.
I had a pto generator for years seemed like when I was out of town for a few days was when the power went out and usually the generator is buried in the pole shed and the wife doesn't want to deal with it and the tractor so I sold it bought the Onan and installed in the basement so she can run it.

I have a Honda 2000, it is what I start up first, IF the power is off long enough that I need to have something powered.

IF it get's so bad that I need more power than what my Honda 2000 can provide, then I use my diesel tractor to power a PTO generator. It will easily power my whole house and I KNOW my tractor is always ready to go, because I use it often!

It was a cheaper way to get lots of power, using diesel fuel and it's worked out VERY good for us.

SR

Latest posts

Back