Ported 880 7 vs 8 pin with 30" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was just wondering and i might as well be the first to ask,,,, how can those chicken arms carry that big of a saw around:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:,,, ohhhh yea,,, nice saw

I drink Redbull :numberone:

2jdgewh.jpg

did a little test today between 7 vs 8 pin rim sprocket with 30" bar and 404 RS in pine and maple. Kinda surprised. Maybe 3/8ths chain would of been better I wonder?
A properly setup and operated 3/8 chain is most always going to be more efficient than .404. The saw is removing less wood. It's simply more efficient.

More importantly, that saw needs more load than you're giving it a lot of the time for best cut times. Listen to the RPMs you're running the saw at the end of the cut, as compared to the first 1/4-1/2 of the cut. It's the operator's job to find that sweet spot and keep it there. I also noticed that you're still wanting to use the dawgs. Think about it like this. If you pivot off one point on the end, that end is doing far less cutting than the opposite end. Effectively, you're not using all of the bar. The quickest way through a log is to use all of a bar, all the time, with optimal load, all the time. I'm just saying that for these tests to mean anything, these variables need controlled more effectively.

A properly setup and operated 3/8 chain is most always going to be more efficient than .404. The saw is removing less wood. It's simply more efficient.

More importantly, that saw needs more load than you're giving it a lot of the time for best cut times. Listen to the RPMs you're running the saw at the end of the cut, as compared to the first 1/4-1/2 of the cut. It's the operator's job to find that sweet spot and keep it there. I also noticed that you're still wanting to use the dawgs. Think about it like this. If you pivot off one point on the end, that end is doing far less cutting than the opposite end. Effectively, you're not using all of the bar. The quickest way through a log is to use all of a bar, all the time, with optimal load, all the time. I'm just saying that for these tests to mean anything, these variables need controlled more effectively.
You think you would have faster cut times with the same saw in same wood?

.404 starts to cut fast when the cutter is half used up and drag is less. Just my 2c. What would be nice to know is how many horses you need to make .404 a better faster option than 3\8. At what point does a powerhead 'need more chain' and be able to benefit from taller wider cutters that enable faster more efficient removal of wood. What Brad says is true but you could have even less drag and run picco or .325 but they won't be faster as they cannot remove the wood as fast. At what point is 404 a faster chain than 3/8? In days past with longer stroke bores and peak hp many thousand rpm less, OEM's were factory fitting .404 on 60cc+ saws.......an impossability with todays high rpm/high chain speed saws. Nowdays the game has changed, poor chain filing is not an option, depth gauges need to be right. Anything that is not right will be really noticable at 12k!

So true. The operator is everything

.404 starts to cut fast when the cutter is half used up and drag is less. Just my 2c. What would be nice to know is how many horses you need to make .404 a better faster option than 3\8. At what point does a powerhead 'need more chain' and be able to benefit from taller wider cutters that enable faster more efficient removal of wood. What Brad says is true but you could have even less drag and run picco or .325 but they won't be faster as they cannot remove the wood as fast. At what point is 404 a faster chain than 3/8? In days past with longer stroke bores and peak hp many thousand rpm less, OEM's were factory fitting .404 on 60cc+ saws.......an impossability with todays high rpm/high chain speed saws. Nowdays the game has changed, poor chain filing is not an option, depth gauges need to be right. Anything that is not right will be really noticable at 12k!

Also true. So is the chain... And rakers.

P
Less wood = less drag. :)

I suck at both operating and filing..

Carry on

Cookie cutting is fun! :surprised3:
You guys are to blame my firewood isn't uniform this year!
Whenever someone notices the cookies in my shed they always ask "what are those for?" and I tend to answer "FUN". :p

Nice video, cool saw!

PS: Lifting the logs higher off the ground would have allowed You to exercise more controlled pressure on the saws front handle more equally through the cuts.
With the log on the ground You lose pushing strength as You bend down.
Just my thoughts. :)

You're still using the dawgs and rocking the saw. This is affecting your cut times, making the results questionable. Also, you should try loading the saw the same with the 7-pin as you are with the 8-pin. Your cut times will shorten with the 7-pin.

well at least I'm consistently rocking the saw....thus the cut times will be consistent but... "questionable"! :happybanana:

Blsnelling - would like to race your ported 661 against my muff modded 661 with a 41" bar.

Back