Ported 880 7 vs 8 pin with 30" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all.

Your saw, your bar of choice, your chain of choice. maybe do 36" instead since 41" bar uncommon. I'll bring my muff modded hunk of crap , my bar and my chain. You run whatever pump gas oil mix you want. I'll run my boat oil. 3 back to back cuts for total time. I bet I win. ...and if I don't, i bet I lose by less than 10%.

as far as the 880 7 vs 8 goes - 8 seems to be the way to go on a ported 880...but there isn't that much difference at least at 30".

Not at all.

Your saw, your bar of choice, your chain of choice. maybe do 36" instead since 41" bar uncommon. I'll bring my muff modded hunk of crap , my bar and my chain. You run whatever pump gas oil mix you want. I'll run my boat oil. 3 back to back cuts for total time. I bet I win.
Oh you're funny. What are you smoking?

So, tell me this...how did you go from begging me to port your saw for free, to thinking your stock saw is faster? Just a little fickle don't you think?

And why call your saw a hunk of junk? I've never questioned your saws, just your lack of operating skills, and now your sanity, lol.

Oh you're funny. What are you smoking?

So, tell me this...how did you go from begging me to port your saw for free, to thinking your stock saw is faster? Just a little fickle don't you think?

And why call your saw a hunk of junk? I've never questioned your saws, just your lack of operating skills, and now your sanity, lol.

never begged you. porting the saw for the oil test was all your idea. you backed away from your offers not once but twice.

Consequently I now think porting a saw for the oil test is a good idea...so I'm having Tree Monkey do 2 for me (I paid full price for 2 port jobs), not only that but I bought two new 661Rs for him to port specifically for the oil test. I sure as heck don't need to beg the likes of you.

fickle - yeah just like the time you said was a moron and retarded and a host of other names for saying I would beat maulhead's masterminded 661 run on belray H1R vs my muff modded 661 on 50:1 H1R and what was the result there?

2 different operators, 2 different logs, ...my saw lost by on average .4 seconds per cut. in a 25 second cut.

I think your scared that I might be right again, and I hope we get the opportunity.

First of all, how am I responsible for someone else’s ported saw? How much sense does that make?

OK, let’s get some facts straight. You started off your oil testing thread quite some time ago now. I messaged you quite a few times, in private, on how I thought you could improve what you were doing. I was interested in what you were doing at that point. Not only did my input fall on deaf ears, but so did the input from everyone else. You continue to draw conclusions on less that factual ideas and information. I’m an engineer by trade, where an analytical approach must be used, and assumptions can’t be made. You refuse to be coached.

With that background in mind, you approached me numerous times, asking me to port your 661, FOR FREE. You never once offered to pay. You seem to have this false sense of entitlement that you think others owe you something for your testing, like what you’re doing is more valuable than the years of input some of the rest of us have made. With what I had seen of your “testing”, there was no value in me porting your saw. I finally agreed to port your saw, IF you agreed to have it dyno tested both before and after. That way, I actually got something of value out of the deal. It was your responsibility to get the dyno testing done, and I would port the saw. You then wanted me to make the arrangements for the dyno testing. Fine. I contacted Chad, and he was too busy to do the testing. You wanted to know if I was still going to port your saw. Well, you couldn’t provide your end of the deal, so I said no. That’s when you threw a little hissy fit, and decided to post on the forum that I had reneged on you. Wrong move. All you wanted out of this was a free port job, and you were mad you couldn’t get it.

So fast forward to today. You’re still posting videos, influencing peoples opinions with your videos, and still refusing to learn how to operate a saw. You cannot get consistent results with the way you operate a saw. Plain and simple. Again, you lash out and suggest that your stock saw is faster than my ported saw. Let me remind you that I’m the same guy you begged a free port job from. Those two things are contradicting. You’re just acting out like a child, mad that you’ve been called out.

First of all, how am I responsible for someone else’s ported saw? How much sense does that make?

OK, let’s get some facts straight. You started off your oil testing thread quite some time ago now. I messaged you quite a few times, in private, on how I thought you could improve what you were doing. I was interested in what you were doing at that point. Not only did my input fall on deaf ears, but so did the input from everyone else. You continue to draw conclusions on less that factual ideas and information. I’m an engineer by trade, where an analytical approach must be used, and assumptions can’t be made. You refuse to be coached.

With that background in mind, you approached me numerous times, asking me to port your 661, FOR FREE. You never once offered to pay. You seem to have this false sense of entitlement that you think others owe you something for your testing, like what you’re doing is more valuable than the years of input some of the rest of us have made. With what I had seen of your “testing”, there was no value in me porting your saw. I finally agreed to port your saw, IF you agreed to have it dyno tested both before and after. That way, I actually got something of value out of the deal. It was your responsibility to get the dyno testing done, and I would port the saw. You then wanted me to make the arrangements for the dyno testing. Fine. I contacted Chad, and he was too busy to do the testing. You wanted to know if I was still going to port your saw. Well, you couldn’t provide your end of the deal, so I said no. That’s when you threw a little hissy fit, and decided to post on the forum that I had reneged on you. Wrong move. All you wanted out of this was a free port job, and you were mad you couldn’t get it.

So fast forward to today. You’re still posting videos, influencing peoples opinions with your videos, and still refusing to learn how to operate a saw. You cannot get consistent results with the way you operate a saw. Plain and simple. Again, you lash out and suggest that your stock saw is faster than my ported saw. Let me remind you that I’m the same guy you begged a free port job from. Those two things are contradicting. You’re just acting out like a child, mad that you’ve been called out.

:laugh:

So % wise is there a rule of thumb going to a 8 pin will gain over a 7pin? Cuz I'm not seeing this large gain...which no one has defined what it should be....so again % wise how much should we all expect to see?

Anyone else have comparison vids??? Brad how about you make one, since your all up in my face every time I do a 7 vs 8 pin vid. Wait you don't need to because 1. you don't have the time 2. you don't need to prove anything you already know...even though you've probably never actually tested it, YOU KNOW. :bowdown:

My experience with 8 pin is should be on 25 or less bars to see the gains ,most of my work saws are faster with a 7 pulling a 28-32 inch bar .There are exceptions to this i am sure .

So % wise is there a rule of thumb going to a 8 pin will gain over a 7pin? Cuz I'm not seeing this large gain...which no one has defined what it should be....so again % wise how much should we all expect to see?

Anyone else have comparison vids??? Brad how about you make one, since your all up in my face every time I do a 7 vs 8 pin vid. Wait you don't need to because 1. you don't have the time 2. you don't need to prove anything you already know...even though you've probably never actually tested it, YOU KNOW. :bowdown:
Quit your pouting.

It sounds like someone told you that you could always expect an 8-pin rim to be faster. And you want a standard % gain? It doesn't work that way. EVERY saw is different! You've also missed the fact that an 8-pin .404 is WAY larger than in 3/8. Even with the smaller 3/8 8-pin, a 7-pin is usually faster in big wood, unless running the strongest of ported 90cc class or larger saws.

And where did you get this idea that .404 is faster? Wrong again. Your trying to re-invent the wheel here.

I do know, because I've tested it many times, as have many others. You act like this is something new and revolutionary. No, I'm not going to go dig up the threads and videos for you.

On a longer bar ,if the saw is strong enough to pull .404 loaded ,i recommend it ,at least in softwoods ,it oils the bar a lot better on my saws ,and stays sharper longer when working ,especially if woods a little dirty ,i am not talking about trying to get the best cookie times by no means ,the bigger drive sprocket on .404 speeds the chain to about a 7.5 pin i would call it on 3/8 also being a tad larger .

What would be cool is gear up that Scott Kunz aka treemonkey built 880 and make some cant cuts for grins. :cool::rock:

084 I used to own after I got done with it for gtg play and quartering logs for firewood folks went a little further west of me. Making a living ripping hardwoods with 50" plus bar.

3/8 9-10-11 Mine just kept getting faster in small cant testing with each gear.

Quit your pouting.

It sounds like someone told you that you could always expect an 8-pin rim to be faster. And you want a standard % gain? It doesn't work that way. EVERY saw is different! You've also missed the fact that an 8-pin .404 is WAY larger than in 3/8. Even with the smaller 3/8 8-pin, a 7-pin is usually faster in big wood, unless running the strongest of ported 90cc class or larger saws.

And where did you get this idea that .404 is faster? Wrong again. Your trying to re-invent the wheel here.

I do know, because I've tested it many times, as have many others. You act like this is something new and revolutionary. No, I'm not going to go dig up the threads and videos for you.

geez man. do you ever stop twisting stuff and putting words into people's mouth?

Look dude your all over the map here...im not even sure what your all pissed about anymore. Your making sh*t up left and right...and hell i'm not even sure why at this point. No one is throwing a fit or pouting except you bro.

example - exactly when did I say .404 was faster? I think you read ...see what you want to see man.

I'm not even sure what your trying to prove here... at best you have me rocking the saw some. Does that affect times, im sure it does a little. But if all the cuts are that way, then the results are equal.

Beyond that , your just plain trying to start something and acting like a royal immature prick.

and this is where I leave it. BS I'm not responding to your BS.

ps. the masta don't rock! riiight!

geez man. do you ever stop twisting stuff and putting words into people's mouth?

Look dude your all over the map here...im not even sure what your all pissed about anymore. Your making sh*t up left and right...and hell i'm not even sure why at this point. No one is throwing a fit or pouting except you bro.

example - exactly when did I say .404 was faster? I think you read ...see what you want to see man.

I'm not even sure what your trying to prove here... at best you have me rocking the saw some. Does that affect times, im sure it does a little. But if all the cuts are that way, then the results are equal.

Beyond that , your just plain trying to start something and acting like a royal immature prick.

and this is where I leave it. BS I'm not responding to your BS.
My facts are straight, I haven't made up one thing, nor have I put a single word in your mouth. You can try to deny and disassociate yourself from what ever you want, but it's all documented right here amongst your many threads. Acting out like you are, and trying to project those issues onto me aren't going to work for you. These are all common defense mechanisms. You really should seek help.

My facts are straight, I haven't made up one thing, nor have I put a single word in your mouth. You can try to deny and disassociate yourself from what ever you want, but it's all documented right here amongst your many threads. Acting out like you are, and trying to project those issues onto me aren't going to work for you. These are all common defense mechanisms. You really should seek help.

now that....THAT is just f**king awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! :ices_rofl:

ps. the masta don't rock! riiight!

I see that you added a vid. Big difference here. I'm not making timed cuts trying to prove anything. Besides, I was fighting a horrible chain. You will never see me rocking a saw when making timed cuts. Again, deflection isn't going to work for you, because I'll tell it like it is for you.

Latest posts

Back