Ported 880 7 vs 8 pin with 30" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a longer bar ,if the saw is strong enough to pull .404 loaded ,i recommend it ,at least in softwoods ,it oils the bar a lot better on my saws ,and stays sharper longer when working ,especially if woods a little dirty ,i am not talking about trying to get the best cookie times by no means ,the bigger drive sprocket on .404 speeds the chain to about a 7.5 pin i would call it on 3/8 also being a tad larger .

I wonder exactly the same thing.
All these tests are don for the first 3-4 cuts which is all well and good but what about speed at the end of the tank once chain looses inital edge or a used chain HAND filed

WHO puts on a new chain after 3 cuts (of medium wood)
what about a test like this
cut in clean wood run through one of these and cut again. Something like = clean-dirty-clean to simulate a full tanks work in 5 cuts
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...4gncx_udh46NZnzmQ&sig2=KxOHjz2OphalY0co30H3Og

MY POV
When I first got my 660 fitted with 36RS@24" and I was blocking anything from dusty skidded wood through to clean day old white gum I would know when I was getting near the end of a tank as the chips would diminish towards dust,might be able to getaway with a tank and a half.

I wonder exactly the same thing.
All these tests are don for the first 3-4 cuts which is all well and good but what about speed at the end of the tank once chain looses inital edge or a used chain HAND filed

WHO puts on a new chain after 3 cuts (of medium wood)
what about a test like this
cut in clean wood run through one of these and cut again. Something like = clean-dirty-clean to simulate a full tanks work in 5 cuts
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QtwIwA2oVChMIjpH6gI6tyAIVw3amCh2VIgoz&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDNTsv9qx4&usg=AFQjCNEMbp6SI4OlJ4gncx_udh46NZnzmQ&sig2=KxOHjz2OphalY0co30H3Og

MY POV
When I first got my 660 fitted with 36RS@24" and I was blocking anything from dusty skidded wood through to clean day old white gum I would know when I was getting near the end of a tank as the chips would diminish towards dust,might be able to getaway with a tank and a half.
I think a lot of the .404 staying sharper longer is the top plate angle ,a reg chain is around 30 degrees ,so the outer corner is more pointed i would call it which is more fragile ,the .404 is closer to 20 degrees off the roll which makes a stronger outer corner ,being less pointy ,the cutter links are a little bigger also ,kind of like the tortoise and the hare theory ,it may be a little slower ,but will keep going longer without a touch up ,so more work can get done in less overall time .

One way to find out :) It would take some cutting but sure would be interesting to see. I tend to agree with the angle theory, among other things. I file to 25 degrees all the time regardless. If you have the power it cuts faster.

Any videos of the two 661's that were compared?

Yeah. There was videos :)

There was also videos of two 460's (ported) that beat that muff mod 661 and tied the ported 661. :) Ported saws rock!!! ;) lol

As for the ported saw not beating a muff mod saw? That's ridiculous in every aspect.

And furthermore... We ran my 661 against Brads at my last GTG. You'd still get beat. Sorry buddy...

Hey SquareFile? I bet you have a 346 that would turn a 661's head upside-down; )

And for the record, you'll never see anyone rock a saw in a race that wants to win. Consistent cuts come when 100% of your cutter are always working.

Latest posts

Back