Porting auto tune huskys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzznutsoz

Performance Saws Australia
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm interested to know how the auto tune huskys respond to porting, I'm guessing that there's guys out there that have done it or is it not worth it because it causes other headaches somewhere else, I've got a 576xp which I'm playing with at the moment and I thourght I'd ask the question.
Cheers

I have a 562 xp ported by Terry Landrum, and I don't know how the others AT saws respond to porting, but this one respond very well, it is noticeably stronger than a stock one!

That's what I wanted to hear, I guess now it's seek and you shall find , thanks I'll carry on with what I had in mind
Cheers:)

That's what I wanted to hear, I guess now it's seek and you shall find , thanks I'll carry on with what I had in mind
Cheers:)

A lot of autotune saws have been ported. I haven't heard of any problems. In fact, quite the contrary, they respond well to porting; and put lots of smiles on faces and lots of wood in the truck.

IIRC, I have read the saw builders prefer to port auto-tune and M-tronic saws because they don't have to worry about the derelict customer blowing up a saw because they cannot tune it properly.

If I have read right after your first start up after porting u should reset the AT. I could be wrong tho on that one tho .

A few things are starting to make sense now, and disconnect, connect, that would be how it's reset or is there another way to do it, I have noticed there's 3 prongs on the top where something gets plugged in or am I on the wrong track with that one.

Very interesting and advanced saw I see thanks Brad, so is there any known flash program getting around, I've seen and used the motorbike ones and they work really well or is it just a matter of time.

A few things are starting to make sense now, and disconnect, connect, that would be how it's reset or is there another way to do it, I have noticed there's 3 prongs on the top where something gets plugged in or am I on the wrong track with that one.

Don't know about that exact saw and carb you are talking about but there is a diagnostic port to connect to a PC there somewhere in there. My 562XP is still brand new in the box unfortunately but it is the saw i would most want ported.

All the major porters have been doing AT or M-tronic saws for quite a while now. No major issues that i have heard of but pre existing issues with a saw from the manufacturer cannot be cured by porting. I am sure there are more examples, but the EL46 carb problems with certain 562XP saws springs to mind.

The 576XPAT does not have the diagnostic connector since its a first generation AT saw. I don't have the link saved here at work but there is a way to reset the 576 using a couple of 9V batteries.

1st gen AT. I didn't realise that these were that old, see what being burdened with newer AT saws does! :rolleyes:

So after reading all the relevant info on these AT systems it seems no one has really pushed them to the limit as far as a work saw Is concerned (not including race saws, totally different playing field) and documented it with an actual fail point ie, ports too big, port timing too advanced/retarded, too much static timing, the compresion was to high or whatever else I may have missed, so I guess I'm about to find out because I'm treating it just like any other saw and throwing all the mods at it just to see what's going to happen, and from what has already been said and done it should work and the AT should compensate for everything and run it,
because if the system is anything like any other fuel control system I've used in the past it's range is a lot bigger than first thourght.
Time will tell I surpose and I'll have some pics and vids available later on today if anyone is interested.

So after reading all the relevant info on these AT systems it seems no one has really pushed them to the limit as far as a work saw Is concerned (not including race saws, totally different playing field) and documented it with an actual fail point ie, ports too big, port timing too advanced/retarded, too much static timing, the compresion was to high or whatever else I may have missed, so I guess I'm about to find out because I'm treating it just like any other saw and throwing all the mods at it just to see what's going to happen, and from what has already been said and done it should work and the AT should compensate for everything and run it, because if the system is anything like any other fuel control system I've used in the past it's range is a lot bigger than first thourght.
Time will tell I surpose and I'll have some pics and vids available later on today if anyone is interested.

Sounds good! Can't wait to see what you get out of it.

I don't know if you've already torn into yet or not, but it's always nice to get a baseline in stock form first just to able to compare and prove gain after.

I don't know if you've already torn into yet or not, but it's always nice to get a baseline in stock form first just to able to compare and prove gain after.

I've been using this 576 over the past week and they perform well so I've got good idea on how it goes and weather or not I'm going to see a gain, time will tell because I have started on it and I'm 3/4 finished, I should be done but had a few interruptions today so I've fallen behind but on schedule for tomorrow.

Back