Porting for a torque monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let's talk torque!

What type of porting should be done to make a torquer?

Small ports, medium, big? Work transfers, don't?

The War Lords are here!

Thanks homeboys for showing up. Have to make this quick as my luch hour is almost over.

I was hoping to just widen the port because I have this radical idea.

I'm gonig to use a router with a "home brewed" jig to mill the port. Since I will only be widening it, it might just work.

I have read in the past of wood workers using carbide bits to mill steel. I'm assuming the jug is made out of steel, magnesium, so this might not be a problem.

Rick

Thanks homeboys for showing up. Have to make this quick as my luch hour is almost over.

I'm gonig to use a router with a "home brewed" jig to mill the port. Since I will only be widening it, it might just work.

I have read in the past of wood workers using carbide bits to mill steel. I'm assuming the jug is made out of steel, magnesium, so this might not be a problem.

Rick

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
LMAO!!!!
Please make a video.

Rick

Sounds dangerous, where you PPE!! Wood routers turn some serious R's

Rick

I'd price a new P&C first. No way can you port with a tool like that. Well, I guess you could. I just wouldn't expect it to run afterwards:dizzy:

This should be interesting. I think the jugs are mostly aluminum, with a thin coating of very hard material inside the cylinder. Freehand with a rotating stone or carbide burr is likely to work better, IMO, butt I have never ported an engine before.

Rick

:popcorn: :givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Rick

Just when ya think....awh nevermind

Rick

Ever hear of Darwin's theory of evolution? :monkey:

I could see using a CNC mill or router...

Rick

I could see using a CNC mill or router... The cylinder is aluminum so a carbide bit will cut it fine. I used to use a table saw to cut Alum plate. Special carbide blade. You will want to consider coolant and lubrication so the alum doesn't gull up and stick to the bit.

You might be able to "rough" out the port and then finish it with hand tools. I've never ported a saw......YET>>>:popcorn: :) :chainsaw: so I'm not sure how much material is removed. From reading the posts about it I know that smoother is better. I've also gleaned reading the porting posts and from the pictures that there really aren't any vertical walls, which a router cutter would give you, instead they have a gradual blended curves.

If you do go with the router method, I'd get a "junk" saw to try it on first. Or for that matter, take an Alum plate and put a hole in it and see how it cuts. However, this might not be a good test because of the different machining qualities of Alum. With that all said, make real sure that your jig is fastened to your jug and the jug is fastened down well!

How much experience do you have with routers?

Can it be done? Probably....should you try it.....well ....it's your saw..your router...

Dan:chainsaw:

Rick

My crystal ball is showing me stitches and plastic surgery in your future.
This is a bad idea. But if you do it please be extremely careful.
CSW

never say never but, i dont think this will work

you need to use a dremel or an air dremel to do it carbide burs of diff. assortments , and you need to look inside cylinder as you are doing this to keep it uniform and angles on most ports it would be tuff to do. i assume you are going to mount router and move cylinder around still be tuff but , nothing is impossible i guess . i would used a wiped out cylinder to try it on first , go to local saw shop they should have one to give you be careful if it is hopefully it varable speed if not it could grab holt and hurt you if you do try it post some pics i want to see this in action

3/8 wood router bit at 20K in Aluminum with a nickersil coating...lolol

3/8 endmill at 2500 rpm in a mill maybe...

Use a hand held tool... measure many times, cut many times, measure many times..

Well I see not too many are buying into router modding chainsaws! Lol!

Still it is an interesting question. First, what is a "torque monster"? How long is a rope? Why would you want one?

Perceived torque, torque rise below max horsepower, low end torque, absolute highest foot pounds torque, highest torque without compromising horsepower, or what?

Next what kind of an engine. Assuming saw, will it have base compression ratios and transfer cross section like say a 372 husky or like a 7900 dolmar? What is medicine for one might not be for another. Generally I agree with the idea of widening ports instead of extending durations if low rpm torque is prime importance.

Just a wild arsed thought here...

If you're dead set on a DIY mill port job, try a smaller (1/4") end mill in a drill press or hand drill so you can go slow and careful. Using a smaller diameter will prevent binding in the port because less of the circumference will be constrained at any given time. A router is about 10x too fast for the bit plus when things go wrong at 30,000 rpm you get an explosion.

I'm toying with the idea of porting, but I was thinking of a die grinder turning an abrasive stone.

Latest posts

Back