Porting small saws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it worth the effort to port a small (30cc to 35cc) saw.
I have been thinking that a small saw with good power would be great for limbing out trees and cutting up 10" to 12" stuff.

Money wise I would be just as well off to go through 3 or 4 "cheap" saws as opposed to buying one good small saw and then having it ported.

David

why not?

Is it worth the effort to port a small (30cc to 35cc) saw.
I have been thinking that a small saw with good power would be great for limbing out trees and cutting up 10" to 12" stuff.

Money wise I would be just as well off to go through 3 or 4 "cheap" saws as opposed to buying one good small saw and then having it ported.

David

Do it yourself and learn. Plenty of dinky saws like that on craigslist and whatnot for ridiculous cheap.

Do you have a small saw yer thinkin of porting??? If so, watcha got??

I've got a lil husky 41 I ported fer my boy & I used it the other day to do some brush cleanup ( up to about 10" wood). It's got some Nads now thats fer sure. So my vote is yes, they are worth moddin.

I've ported my 'puny' 30cc string trimmer, and that with the muff mod really opened it up... she screams and just shreds them weeds and tall grass now... I know a saw of similar size would do pretty much the same...

I'll let you know for sure after I get some stuff done on a Woodshark Poulan that I have... I'm gonna port the hell out of it (within logic, of course) and try for the first time, raising and lowering ports a hair.

Maybe I'll bring the cylinder to work, and play with the Bridgeport mill... probably could figure out a way to make the clamshell crap work right and adjust squish, rebore the bearing bores on the cylinder, etc...

Man, it'd be a beast of a little saw, that's for sure.

I've ported my 'puny' 30cc string trimmer, and that with the muff mod really opened it up... she screams and just shreds them weeds and tall grass now... I know a saw of similar size would do pretty much the same...

I'll let you know for sure after I get some stuff done on a Woodshark Poulan that I have... I'm gonna port the hell out of it (within logic, of course) and try for the first time, raising and lowering ports a hair.

Maybe I'll bring the cylinder to work, and play with the Bridgeport mill... probably could figure out a way to make the clamshell crap work right and adjust squish, rebore the bearing bores on the cylinder, etc...

Man, it'd be a beast of a little saw, that's for sure.

If ya want compression, just build up a dome on the piston.:rock:

Hey stump what rod do you use for welding a popup? I've got just the regular easy stuff to get can't remember the number. I've been wanting to try it just haven't had the need yet. Maybe I should do the weed wacker.

I'll have to look in the morn. Nothin special I know.
I've got two 372's out there with popups that have been runnin in this 105+ deg heat on pump gas without any probs. One of them is bein run by a local logger here.
When I weld one I make a small weld, quench with a wet rag, repeat the process till I git it built up the way I want it.

I'll have to look in the morn. Nothin special I know.
I've got two 372's out there with popups that have been runnin in this 105+ deg heat on pump gas without any probs. One of them is bein run by a local logger here.
When I weld one I make a small weld, quench with a wet rag, repeat the process till I git it built up the way I want it.

So you've done 372's with welded popups? With machine work I can get 372s to where I like
them

You guys are far more understanding than my wife.:laugh:
Her reaction was " you want to do what to what kind of saw???! That is just silly!

At this time I do not own a small saw. I have a two year old MS310 and a 20 or so year old 024. The old 024 runs good but it is not a small saw. Well not to me anyway.

I used to own a Partner 500. It died.:msp_sad: I got the 310 new and sold the 500 for $30.00. There is a 500 on e-bay now if it dont get over .20 cents I might buy it even if I dont need it. I sure it will go up.

I have a Creg List "Green Poulan", that is all the lady new about it, on the line that I might be able to pick up for $20.00.

My son want to learn to run a saw as well. He is tall 6'4" but skinny 150 lbs. So he has not strength about him yet.

I was thinking I might port it my self. Will not be doing any poptops on pistons myself... Dont have a clue how to go about that. Dont have a welder either.

How would one of these new " Green Poulan type" saws stand up to being ported?
Would the crank and bearings take it??

David

Go pick up that little Poulan. I like the one I ported. Not a dime into it, except some porting experience. Screams pretty good, and stuck a 12" bar on it. It made a great tool box saw for the truck.

And check out the Wildthing Races thread. I think Arrowhead started it :)
Good luck, take your time, and ask lots of questions!

I am still new in these parts.
How do I find the Wildthing Races thread???

The lady with the "Green Poulan" saw said her Daddy could not get it to start.:msp_sad:

I know most on the newer model green Poulan saws are cheap made... But what normaly messes up in them so that they wont start?? Lets hope it was not straight gased.

You see all manner of them on E-bay and Creg -List. More than half are dead.

The Partner 500 on E-bay is up to about $30.00 bucks. I am sure it will go much higher.

David

Guy I work with offered me a "good running" Husky 41 for $125.00?????
He is the original owner and said the saw was in fine shape.
It was a bit durty on the outside but ran fine.

More that I was hoping to spend....

David

Guy I work with offered me a "good running" Husky 41 for $125.00?????
He is the original owner and said the saw was in fine shape.
It was a bit durty on the outside but ran fine.

More that I was hoping to spend....

David

That price is a lil high. Those are nice saws, handle real nice to cut brush & the small stuff. The one I've got runs real good after porting. See if you can talk him down on the price.

Back