Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, those Sycamore splits look knarly.Definently a job for a hydraulic splitter.I actually just turned down a big truck load offered from an Arborist because it looked so overwhelming since I only have a Fiskars X27 and sledge and wedges.Good job to not waste those BTU's

Wow, those Sycamore splits look knarly.Definently a job for a hydraulic splitter.I actually just turned down a big truck load offered from an Arborist because it looked so overwhelming since I only have a Fiskars X27 and sledge and wedges.Good job to not waste those BTU's

We used a 27-ton splitter. I don't see how this could be done by hand. I've burned sycamore in the past, but it was just limbs and not split pieces like this. It burned good once seasoned. This was free from a neighbor down the road who had two trees taken down, so I couldn't pass it up!

Had this big stub red oak in the yard for a long time. the limbs have been burnt or still in some stack someplace. this was the last chunk, large diameter. turned out to be rotten about a foot and a half up fropm my alleged felling cuts....dang, insta dull chain. I got it down, took one limb stub off, second one, it stopped chips went to dust, then even the dust stopped! So I stopped cutting then...

Poulan 505 with a 28, full comp round chisel

Attachments

• IMG_20140116_144115.jpg
    IMG_20140116_144115.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_20140116_144003.jpg
    IMG_20140116_144003.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140116_144133.jpg
    IMG_20140116_144133.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 84
Water Heater 002.JPG Pallet Jack 062.JPG Pallet Jack 057.JPG Pallet Jack 060.JPG I am changing the way I do things, trying to make it easier. Just finished this wood shed this spring. I used to stack and cover, now I am piling in the shed. Only stacked in the front to hold the pile back. I bought a pallet jack and made a 3 ft square box to move the wood onto the garage. I used to use a 2 wheeled flat bed wheelbarrow that I made, then I would unload the wheelbarrow into a wood box. You could put the wood in the wood box in the garage then get it out in the den, right next to the wood stove. I removed the wood box, so now I can just roll in the pallet jack and park it. One less step. Trying to make it easier as I get older.

Last edited:
VW, I am no computer wizard, in fact pretty much inept, but I found this photo program, Picasa 3, that is easy to use. IIRC it is free. Two step process to re-size. Download from camera then export to a file re-sized to parameters you set. Do it once and there after it is simply click the export button. It shrinks the memory needed to next too nothing and doesn't seem to lose any perceptible resolution. I post all my pictures on AS re-sized this way. Ron

Wood for the current year. Shed is 2 and quarter chord, 9x6x5.5, plus a few rows on 8' landscaping ties 4' high. Should use about 3 chords this year.

Wood for the next 2 years is stacked on 8 pallets 5 feet high under tarps. The picture is from 2 years ago before i really got going.

Finally got the last of the rounds to my friend's yesterday off the land that we were cutting on since January. Now comes the fun part, splitting and drinking beer (was not found of moving, loading, and unloading all of this by hand, but a great workout)...I've got about 1/3 more of this ready to split and stack at my house too. Trying to get this done before Spring gets here so we can enjoy the water (fishing, boating & crabbing) on the weekends. We've steadily been dropping off, splitting, and stacking as we go...this is the last of it.

Cheers on this St. Patrick's Day!

Attachments

• pile.JPG
    pile.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back