Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple loads done. This is oak that we got 5 or so years ago. Almost all was cut and the rest only need 1 cut before splitting. Lots more to go before we can call it a year.

Attachments

• Load 1 1.jpg
    Load 1 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Load 2 2.jpg
    Load 2 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Loader.jpg
    Loader.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 5 year oak.jpg
    5 year oak.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 190
This pic was taken in oct. 2013 when we first lit the stove. It has all been burned and a few more cords too. We average 5 to 6 cords but this year I am into cord number 9View attachment 339951
Nifty little trailer you got there. Wood stacks look nice and neat, too.

20140315_191221.jpg Frist load of wood for next year. Will be my frist year in the house. Buying it from my girlfriends dad and hes giving up wood cutting after 53 years and moving to fFlorida. Got a few truck loads of rotted stuff sitting there to haul away to. He had 4 cords last fall and sold it within the 1st month. We have been burning and selling slab wood all winter. Have 90 bundles. I plan on haveing 5 cord set aside before even think of selling any thing

Got a couple loads done. This is oak that we got 5 or so years ago. Almost all was cut and the rest only need 1 cut before splitting. Lots more to go before we can call it a year.

How do 5 year old oak rounds split? I assume there is enough moisture loss during that time to burn them right away when split?

I had some oak logs that were 4 years old when I cut and split them in the spring. They were ready to burn by fall. They weren't as dry as they could be if they had been split and stacked for a year, but they burned well. If they had been cut as rounds instead of logs, they would have definitely had a lower moisture content and burned even better.

My wife went out to feed the chickens sometime in December and I haven't seen her since. I know she's alright though,cause the food I leave out is always gone next morning. I told her I loved her the other day, and I would see her when mud season came. I had no idea she knew all those cuss words. Thank God she's in the splitting area and I left a Fiskars there, she's up to near a cord a day now.

How do 5 year old oak rounds split? I assume there is enough moisture loss during that time to burn them right away when split?

Did not test them, thought about it though, but them seem very dry and split like it. The exception are the ones that got buried about 3-4" during that time. Some of that was pretty soft and alot of the sap wood was gone. Hope to get the rest done in the next week or so and then on to some 4 year old honey and black locust, red elm and some pine that will be used for fire pits (not that I'm afraid of burning it). After that we have some red oak, ash, elm, mulberry, hackberry and maple that is from 1-2 years old. So much wood so little time. Then we will move on to some white oak taken down over the winter along with a few standing dead white oaks.
How I wish I had a clone.

Did not test them, thought about it though, but them seem very dry and split like it. The exception are the ones that got buried about 3-4" during that time. Some of that was pretty soft and alot of the sap wood was gone. Hope to get the rest done in the next week or so and then on to some 4 year old honey and black locust, red elm and some pine that will be used for fire pits (not that I'm afraid of burning it). After that we have some red oak, ash, elm, mulberry, hackberry and maple that is from 1-2 years old. So much wood so little time. Then we will move on to some white oak taken down over the winter along with a few standing dead white oaks.
How I wish I had a clone.

Man, you sure do have a lot of variety of wood and various ages to choose from! It would be good to segment each one to see how the various ones and ages burn...but that takes too much time, I usually throw the various species together and let season. I burn a lot in a fire pit and love it!

Most of this will be sold or used by my partner. The only wood I will grab is the locust. I have my own wood supply (aproximently 3 years) at my house that I process on my own time. :) Keeps me busy.

100_1066.JPG 100_1088.JPG 100_1086.JPG 100_1089.JPG 100_1085.JPG 100_1071.JPGA little bit of what I've been working on lately. The Old Hippies lil' Acco tractor is handy. The wood stack is 16' wide and 6.5 ft tall on one end and 7'8" on the other. That's some of next years wood. The other end of the shed, I have an 8' x 8' area full to the ceiling of wood that needs stacked and maybe split. A good mix, for the most part, of Hard maple, hedge, hickory, pecan, locust, ash, cherry, walnut, some polar,,I bring home about everything I can get on my truck besides snowballs and willow. I also have a few truckloads left I'm burning on now.., not in the pics.
Thanks for lookin'. Peace.

Back