Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the scolding, fellas. I really should have the kids be more careful. And I'll give a good lesson tomorrow morning on how to load those rounds on the SS. I told two of the other kids when I first got it, but I think the daughter missed that lesson. Kinda hard to keep track of so many!!

Thanks for the scolding, fellas. I really should have the kids be more careful. And I'll give a good lesson tomorrow morning on how to load those rounds on the SS. I told two of the other kids when I first got it, but I think the daughter missed that lesson. Kinda hard to keep track of so many!!

Just that one oddball round looked squirrely. She seemed competent with it. Considering you just got the thing..meh. I won't scold ya.

Sorry about your swap. Nice land. Hope you heal up better than new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's how swaps go..win some, some ya don't. I screwed up and didn't follow my own advice and tried to bust my way through knots instead of completely noodling them, really screwed up my hand and elbow. But..I can take what time it takes to heal. I was looking at my stacks last night, and if I don't sell any, I have wood to just past 2020 already stacked, so no hurry about getting more. Most likely I will just cut more rounds this summer and stack them up, get to splitting them later.

What a great feeling to know you're covered no matter what kind of winter happens. It's hard for us to give up on some of those knots, too. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My very last tornado piece of wood from 2010! This is from wood that smashed the cabin. This was my chopping block for a long time now, it finally got a little too rotten so into the ugly pile for this winter it goes. Got two wheelbarrows full of this oak from that shortie round and man is it sweet smelling when you split it. This is from a branch on the whopper log still in my yard. I haven't cut it up yet mostly because I think it is valuable for cooking wood, but still not sure how long to cut it, as I might sell it given some serious pro BBQ guy wants it. It's redoak and I am fairly sure I will hit a bees nest with honey in there someplace, I have no other explanation for why it is so wicked sweet smelling. If there is another explanation I am all ears, no other oak I have ever dealt with smells like this one. Pics of the chunks and a close up of the unusual large grain/cell structure.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_201827.jpg
    IMG_20140803_201827.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20140803_201847.jpg
    IMG_20140803_201847.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 83
On Deck...
My redneck processor....lol... Got these gravity rollers in the spring. Using loader with forks, load log onto rollers and then cut over the black truck bed liner.
I have some modifications to make before next year...

Depending on how gnarly the wood is. 90% goes through S/E Super split, the remainder through the Speeco.
Definitely sped up my processing time.
wood.jpg

Basically one man. Two are better.
By myself, I found best to buck off of loader forks and then hand load gravity rollers to feed splitters. Loading roller tables 3 times gives me about a cord. Roller tables are 10 feet long, I used 3 in this setup.

Chill in the air...feel like cutting again!! :clap: Wife was going to let me get a Super Split, then I told her the price! Oh well, another year with the maul! :buttkick:

I split under the redwoods in my backyard. Woodshed coming soon.

IMG_1381_stitch_zpsd8abe188.jpg

Back