Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
BeerBelly, did you fill your middles? And thanks a LOT pal, you had to show pics of your awesome looking stacks to make mine look like the turd it is! Just kidding, dude, yours look great! BTW your dead on about the wood drying out fast, I know ash is a quick drying wood, but I swear the splits are dry in a day or two. Probably doesn't hurt that the beetle had killed these trees long before I dropped them.

marcy-m

marcy-m

ArboristSite Operative
Wife & I did Holzhausen's last winter. The wood dries as quick as you can stack it!!!! I only have one left now, and I will say longer wood is better. I use short stuff in my stove and 3 of the 4 collapsed at least once.

Great looking piles! We did one of these, and I really like the way it worked out. Did yours collapse inward?

We're newbies so there's wood of all sizes and shapes in ours. I'm in Texas, and I didn't notice the wood drying faster than the other piles. That probably has something to do with the type of wood. We've probably got a little of everything in there.

I'm really interested in how yours collapsed because one of the kids' chores is to bring in wood in the winter. I want to avoid injuries if at all possible.

Here's ours: not a great picture of it
y2amu5ug.jpg

beerbelly

beerbelly

Mouth breather
BeerBelly, did you fill your middles? And thanks a LOT pal, you had to show pics of your awesome looking stacks to make mine look like the turd it is! Just kidding, dude, yours look great! BTW your dead on about the wood drying out fast, I know ash is a quick drying wood, but I swear the splits are dry in a day or two. Probably doesn't hurt that the beetle had killed these trees long before I dropped them.

Yes the middle is filled. Stacked the middle upright in the center. On the small ones I used small bark splits from a big old cherry for the roof shingles.

beerbelly

beerbelly

Mouth breather
Great looking piles! We did one of these, and I really like the way it worked out. Did yours collapse inward?

We're newbies so there's wood of all sizes and shapes in ours. I'm in Texas, and I didn't notice the wood drying faster than the other piles. That probably has something to do with the type of wood. We've probably got a little of everything in there.

I'm really interested in how yours collapsed because one of the kids' chores is to bring in wood in the winter. I want to avoid injuries if at all possible.

Here's ours: not a great picture of it
Ours blew out the sides. As they dried & settled they got real fat in the middle (like me!) Then out of the blue, they just collapsed...not catastrophic, but about 1/4 of it fell. They are actually VERY sturdy even with the short wood. Have your kids grab from the top & work their way down, and you should be fine.

Here is a strange blowout we had. It stayed that way for around a week, then that side was on the ground.
DSCN2028.JPG

marcy-m

marcy-m

ArboristSite Operative
Ours blew out the sides. As they dried & settled they got real fat in the middle (like me!) Then out of the blue, they just collapsed...not catastrophic, but about 1/4 of it fell. They are actually VERY sturdy even with the short wood. Have your kids grab from the top & work their way down, and you should be fine.

Here is a strange blowout we had. It stayed that way for around a week, then that side was on the ground.
View attachment 366616

Oh wow! That's strange looking :)

Ours has been built since, I'm guessing, April. I'm thinking, even with the cooler temps we've been having (92-98 when normally over 100), the wood is probably mostly dry. Hopefully our chances of collapse are small now.

I agree with you - they are very sturdy. I tried to push it down once it got 4' or so. It didn't budge.

Thanks for the reply! Put my mind at ease :)

user 122190

View attachment 366616

Why's it blow out?

This is the first that I've seen one of these. Seems popular.

nathon918

nathon918

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just made this woodshed a few weeks ago with the help of a friend. It is 32x10, and will hold about 15.75 cord of wood when stacked 6' up. I should have enough room for about 3.5 years of wood when fully stocked. I put pallets on the ground to keep the wood up. It is south facing, and is now about 1/2 full. Still plenty of work to be had though.....View attachment 366370View attachment 366372
hope you don't get much snow where ever you live... those single 2x8's used to support the rafters likely wont handle much of a snow load, especially not being "let in" (4x4's notched to accept the 2x8's) that's a lot of weight for a single 2x8...
are the 4x4's atleast 3-4 feet into the ground? if not the you might want to add some lateral supports to that front wall (4x4's diagonal up to the 2x8's) likely not really an issue if it will always have wood in it, as the wood will "brace" it, but if you ever decide to use it as a storage shed...

Axfarmer

Axfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
image.jpg
Matt, when I researched the round wood pile, they say to place the wood in the center vertical to promote air flow from bottom to top to aid in seasoning the wood inside. Our was built last fall with fresh cut oak and maple and the outer wood measures less than 20% moisture. image.jpg

View attachment 366792
Matt, when I researched the round wood pile, they say to place the wood in the center vertical to promote air flow from bottom to top to aid in seasoning the wood inside. Our was built last fall with fresh cut oak and maple and the outer wood measures less than 20% moisture. View attachment 366791
That's the best one I've seen. Nice work!

chucker

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
it's either been to hot or to wet to get much done this year so had to break the bank an pay the piper to make winter a little easier! 12 cords of dead standing red oak should help to fill those voids from the to hot/to wet days???

Attachments

• IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6393.JPG
    IMG_6393.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 10271620_850498644978646_3233455119614959531_n.jpg
    10271620_850498644978646_3233455119614959531_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 194
marcy-m

marcy-m

ArboristSite Operative
:confused: Wood pile, swimming pool, swing set, play house... and a beer cooler?? All in the same picture??
Just what exactly are you teachin' them there kids anyway??
:D

Ha ha I didn't think of that! Taking their raising seriously :) that cooler is filled with kindling :)

It's a total mess in the splitting area at the moment. We bring in stuff from time to time, but I haven't sharpened my saw yet. My #1 splitter is busy with school and basketball. I know if I cut some logs down, she would enjoy taking her frustrations out on some wood. Gotta get it in gear!

u7e8u6ym.jpg

7u7ubeda.jpg