Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2hi1nbo.jpg

View attachment 356596 View attachment 356595 Been wet for two weeks and the forklift is turning things to mud at the log deck so I've stopped cutting/splitting for a bit, till it dries up. Almost done with a 20 cord truckload of logs. Maybe a half to a cord to go, which will produce 15 cord total cut/split and stacked. I was hoping for 16. The SuperSplit is just getting warmed up at 17 cord total. Should get an hour meter for it, but at two hours max per cord, that's 34 hours. Each 'tall boy' rack is 6' high, 4'x4' base. The shorter ones are 1/3 cord. Four tall boys are going out tomorrow, and then I can reload them next week.

WOW!!!! I love how neat and compact that is. I may have to try building a couple of those to try. How much roughly do they cost for material if you don't mind me asking?

What do the tall 6'ers weigh when full? is that all 2x4 construction?

tla100; I used $0.97 landscape timbers from Lowe's or Menards. There are 21 pieces, cut and made 12 pcs. 3" x 3" x 1/4" angle 3" long, a lot of bolts bought by the pound, and pre-drilling the wood and angle to make it come together. I made forty of them. They work great for drying and moving firewood. They don't tip like the smaller ones. The landscape timbers jumped in price last year to $3.97 and I no longer build them because of cost. If you had a saw mill perhaps you could get the cost down. I weighed one filled with green oak at just under 4,000 lbs., I'm guessing 3,000 lbs seasoned for 3/4 cord. Still looking for a better way.

Yesterday I hauled my new wood rack onto the deck and loaded it up from the pile. This is west exposure and the dark wall gets really hot in the afternoon so the wood can get a little drier before heating season. Big rack for the boiler, small one for the fireplace. The hatch above the garbage can is where I load the wood into the furnace room.

Also FWIW it took 8 heaping wheelbarrow loads to fill the half cord rack. Now I know so it will be easier to judge consumption as the winter progresses.
image.jpg

20140818_200039.jpeg Ive been doing all the splitting down by the wood line just to keep the debris in my yard to a minimum this year, but here is a pic of the pile so far. My BIL that also burns wood and lives around the corner reminded me yesterday that summer is over and get my arse in gear and start splitting. So I guess I'm gonna have to get my rear in high gear. I have two dead standing ash trees at my pops friends house that will burn this year. I also have a VERY large red oak I have to drop at my buddies, but I don't think it'll be ready to burn yet. It had NO leaves this year, but we all know how long the red oak takes to dry out. This pile is 95% ash and a little elm. Elm was at my buddies farm, ash was at a local church.

16387a6610f8624bf6eb698b90ea415e.jpg

618df709ef797d51cf47ac8b6807e691.jpg

Me and my little future Pyro after a long week of splitting. I keep my wood about 500' from my house when I c/s/s. I Use my polaris to bring my tools down to the pile and wood up in the winter.

Just made this woodshed a few weeks ago with the help of a friend. It is 32x10, and will hold about 15.75 cord of wood when stacked 6' up. I should have enough room for about 3.5 years of wood when fully stocked. I put pallets on the ground to keep the wood up. It is south facing, and is now about 1/2 full. Still plenty of work to be had though.....photo 1-1.JPGphoto 2-1.JPG

That is awesome! Are you stacking dry wood in there? Is there going to be enough air circulation?

I'm done cutting and stacking wood for Winter 2015/2016. Somewhere between 8 and 10 cords of wood. A good mix of White Pine, White Fir, Red Fir, Ponderosa Pine, Spruce, and probably some Lodgepole Pine made its way in there. All wrapped up to survive the winter. Much of it sat out this summer and is looking and feeling dry enough to burn. I'll expose it to next summer's sun and heat and split it all Aug/Sept for winter burning.

Got this done with a week to spare before Fall Bear season begins. :)

WoodCuttingGoalComplete2014.jpg

View attachment 366149 Ive been doing all the splitting down by the wood line just to keep the debris in my yard to a minimum this year, but here is a pic of the pile so far. My BIL that also burns wood and lives around the corner reminded me yesterday that summer is over and get my arse in gear and start splitting. So I guess I'm gonna have to get my rear in high gear. I have two dead standing ash trees at my pops friends house that will burn this year. I also have a VERY large red oak I have to drop at my buddies, but I don't think it'll be ready to burn yet. It had NO leaves this year, but we all know how long the red oak takes to dry out. This pile is 95% ash and a little elm. Elm was at my buddies farm, ash was at a local church.
Wife & I did Holzhausen's last winter. The wood dries as quick as you can stack it!!!! I only have one left now, and I will say longer wood is better. I use short stuff in my stove and 3 of the 4 collapsed at least once. The ones with the dog we figured at about 2 cords each, and the other ones about 3-3/4 each. Nice piles. Keep it up!
DSCN1142.JPG
DSCN2026.JPG

Back