Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my setup as of today. Definitely a small scale operation, splitting stuff to heat the house next season. Noodled rounds of maple are splitting maple.JPG in the truck at waist height, so I just grab one and move it sideways to the el cheapo Harbor Freight 6.5 hp splitter. It's a two stage pump and the second high pressure stage kicks in a lot with this twisted and knotty maple. The wood is pretty heavy, reddish brown in the heartwood. I hope it's not heavy because because of high water content. Might be silver maple.

I upgraded my splitting tire today .

IMG_20160430_170400.jpg

IMG_20160430_170349.jpg

The 17" was just so old school LOL

IMG_2863.jpg IMG_2976.jpg
Started clearing this last fall, a little distance from the house, to do all my wood processing in one area, and get some sun to the wood pile. A nice breeze comes through here too. It was mostly tall Poplar with a couple beautiful 6" Maples coming up, and two large red Oak on the East edge. The Maples were really tall and beautiful last fall so I waited till spring. It is a small area, 90' x 115'. I contracted out the stump removal. There must be close to fifty stumps of various sizes. They should be hauled off today if the rain holds. Eventually, I would like a pole barn here for equipment and a dry place to work. I'm dreaming I know. One thing at a time. The sun and breeze will be a great improvement.

I had been leaving the stumps tall for removal, but the trees I was dropping would sometimes hit them and the butt end would take a wild bounce. I started cut them low and and used a log arch on most of the trunks. The tops I chipped with a 18 hp DR chipper I found on Craigslist. Very slow, but a great find for what I was doing (three four trees at a time), and made all the difference really in keeping the tops cleaned up.

View attachment 501592 View attachment 501593
Started clearing this last fall, a little distance from the house, to do all my wood processing in one area, and get some sun to the wood pile. A nice breeze comes through here too. It was mostly tall Poplar with a couple beautiful 6" Maples coming up, and two large red Oak on the East edge. The Maples were really tall and beautiful last fall so I waited till spring. It is a small area, 90' x 115'. I contracted out the stump removal. There must be close to fifty stumps of various sizes. They should be hauled off today if the rain holds. Eventually, I would like a pole barn here for equipment and a dry place to work. I'm dreaming I know. One thing at a time. The sun and breeze will be a great improvement.

I had been leaving the stumps tall for removal, but the trees I was dropping would sometimes hit them and the butt end would take a wild bounce. I started cut them low and and used a log arch on most of the trunks. The tops I chipped with a 18 hp DR chipper I found on Craigslist. Very slow, but a great find for what I was doing (three four trees at a time), and made all the difference really in keeping the tops cleaned up.
Looks good Sandhill.
That's a beautiful chunk of property, what creek or river flows through behind it.
How many cords do you have ready for this yr.

Y'all made me jealous....

I found this detatched posted as free material on Craigslist. Decided to make it bigger but a little shorter. 20'x20' with crushed concrete as floor.
Jealousy spurs economic growth.
Looks good.
Might want to double up on the headers and put some bracing in there.

One other thing...

Michigan residents-
Stille-DeRossett-Hale single state construction code act

Any building classified as but not limited to storage unit, barn, and or animal shelter is excempt from building permits. If it's Primary use or Incidental use is Agriculture.

How sweet is that..

*Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, don't blame me if you break any laws... Just sayin*
Thank God for disclaimers lol. You have to go township by township with all that. In Lowell twp where I'm at just west of you all, any building that will be housing farm animals must be 100' from the property lines, my property is 180' wide :badpc:. Now if you are in one of the ag areas and are a farm about anything goes. Slide into Ionia count and I think you can build anything you want without a permit from what I've seen over there :surprised3:.

I live in Oneida Township and built a lean-too last year. Wanting to do the "right" thing I called the building inspector and asked if I need a building permit. Of course he said yes... But get this..... Because of the size of it, he classified it as a "carport" because, and I quote " I know eventually you are going to pour concrete and put sides on it." Permit cost me $147 for a 10x26 lean-too.

I get my holes dug and call to have him come inspect and he says to me... "I wouldn't have been able to see this from the road, you should have just built it."

I wont be calling him again.
Gotta love it.
I don't know how many times I've called them to "do the right thing" and they have told me something like that:dumb2:.

Building codes and inspections are alright, if they are done to insure that stuff is done right. If I am buying property, I want to know that the structure is built right. I have seen a lot of half-*ssed building construction, wiring, plumbing, etc. Lot of safety concerns with lots of improvised construction. Sometimes you can't see it until it is too late. Maybe not an issue for a wood shed, but definitely for a dwelling.

If the permit and inspection are just to raise your tax assessment, that is another story.

Philbert
Yes they are, the codes and ordinances are all about protecting the general public:laughing:.
You know I'm not laughing at you right Philbert, I agree, it just doesn't often work out that way as it seems to be about one thing like you state at the end of your post:envy:.

Ooops, Ponderosa Pine, Any good for anything?.... it's a half acre
Unless you have an outdoor wood boiler I don't know why you would burn softwood in Mi.
Unless you need to clear it. Then I would post it on craigslist to get rid of it LOL.
You can get on craigslist and find free hardwood every day.
Here's a nice one in Jackson(maybe), don't know how far you are from there. I personally will drive if I'm getting logs that just need to be bucked up.
This one may be a good one for you to @CaseyForrest
http://jxn.craigslist.org/zip/5568753992.html
Then there is all this. I searched "firewood" for this search in the free section.
The second one down looks good, nice big ash all bucked up.
I was there sunday, if it was there I would have brought my trailer and loaded it up
http://lansing.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=firewood&sort=date
This search is for "wood" in the free section".
http://lansing.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=wood&sort=date

That's a beautiful chunk of property, what creek or river flows through behind it.
How many cords do you have ready for this yr.

It is a beautiful little spot of hardwoods, five miles from the big lake in southwest Michigan. We bought it in 1985 on a land contract, and waited ten years to build on it. Lake Michigan must be kicking up a bit as the tree tops are dancing about today. It is Silver Creek, behind the house on the neighbors property, and a short distance from here becomes Silver Lake, a small shallow dog leg of a lake that enters the Kalamazoo River and out to lake Michigan. The cottage owners down the road have not been able to bring their boats in the lake for several years. Water is up this year though.
As for firewood, I have less than thirty cord seasoned to sell. There are some logs to get busy on for next year. This spring I put up about ten cord in the shed for us, about two to three years worth of ash and oak.

It is a beautiful little spot of hardwoods, five miles from the big lake in southwest Michigan. We bought it in 1985 on a land contract, and waited ten years to build on it. Lake Michigan must be kicking up a bit as the tree tops are dancing about today. It is Silver Creek, behind the house on the neighbors property, and a short distance from here becomes Silver Lake, a small shallow dog leg of a lake that enters the Kalamazoo River and out to lake Michigan. The cottage owners down the road have not been able to bring their boats in the lake for several years. Water is up this year though.
As for firewood, I have less than thirty cord seasoned to sell. There are some logs to get busy on for next year. This spring I put up about ten cord in the shed for us, about two to three years worth of ash and oak.
That's funny.
I knew you were down that way, but when I saw the picture I figured you were on that bluff there north of the kalamazoo river.
I've delivered a lot of drywall to custom homes in that area. You have a very eclectic group of people to sell wood to over there.
Yes, the water is higher this yr, the river here in Lowell(well both the grand and the flat) have been full all season. I can't remember ever seeing the grand this full for this long before. I lived right on the grand for 7yrs, and 6+ here in Lowell and i cross the river almost everyday, so I have a short term idea of the water levels.
I think you'll be fine there once you get the grades established as far as not getting stuck.
One of these days I'll make it over and try those splitters out:chop:.

I fished in silver lake quite a bit as a kid and young teen. Used to go camping a lot down at the dunes where the nuke plant is now. Once I was out there and saw FIVE waterspouts at the same time coming in off lake michigan. Never will forget that sight! Lot of other cool memories, including the mambo blizzard of 67.

Unless you have an outdoor wood boiler I don't know why you would burn softwood in Mi.
Unless you need to clear it. Then I would post it on craigslist to get rid of it LOL.
You can get on craigslist and find free hardwood every day.
Here's a nice one in Jackson(maybe), don't know how far you are from there. I personally will drive if I'm getting logs that just need to be bucked up.
This one may be a good one for you to @CaseyForrest
http://jxn.craigslist.org/zip/5568753992.html
Then there is all this. I searched "firewood" for this search in the free section.
The second one down looks good, nice big ash all bucked up.
I was there sunday, if it was there I would have brought my trailer and loaded it up
http://lansing.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=firewood&sort=date
This search is for "wood" in the free section".
http://lansing.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=wood&sort=date

I search CL every couple days. Ive seen all those but unfortunately my free time is all but free right now. Im still trying to get caught up from winter and I brought home a couple loads from work.

I also walked the woods last weekend and there is a fair bit to be taken down that doesn't have PI on it.

Latest posts

Back