poulan 3300 (need help have pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a 3300 from a friend, the fuel lines were rotten and the pieces were all bunched together when I took it apart. put new lines on it like i thought they should go, wont run. did I do it right? and what is this little porous filter and which line does it go in?

http://i19.tinypic.com/6lllc1i.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/6ykt10o.jpg

hmmm normally when a fuel line is rotten thats a good indication the carburetor is clogged up with smudge and other small particles this could be why she is not running also some other areas to look at is what kind of fuel line did you get for it was it the correct fuel line ? poulan makes that fuel line for them saws part # 530-069216 is the fuel line you do need for it

also how was the fuel filter ? part # 530-014199 as for that other part without being there i dont know what it is the diagram dont show it on the carb by the way if you looked at your carb it would have HDA- 49 stamped on the body of it

if you told me which one of them fuel lines you have is the one with the fuel filter in it i can tell you then where to hook up the lines but need to know which line has the fuel filter on it

thanks

calvin

I got the fuel line from a auto parts store, didnt want to put to much into a saw that i didnt know if it even runs:) I did get it to start for a second by pouring gas straight in the carb

the filter didnt look too bad

hope this helps and thanks for the speedy response

85mtbhd.jpg

Last edited:
ok do this take and switch them lines around and see what happens
and let me know

it sounds like that they may be hooked up backwards so lets do some troubleshooting first beginning with the switching the lines around

calvin

Last edited:
and let me know

it sounds like that they may be hooked up backwards so lets do some troubleshooting first beginning with the switching the lines around

calvin

I did this with my old poulan 3000, then switched lines and it ran like a striped arse ape! Wish I hadnt sold that saw, was a good mag case poulan!

and let me know

calvin

I need more line to switch em and I thought Id ask around before i wasted any more time on it.

the one thing I did notice was that the fuel lines were full of gas, after I got it to run for the few seconds it did. would it do that if the lines were crossed?
I just remembered that.

if that does not fix it then redo it the way you had it and there could be numerous things happening here how old is the fuel in this tank for instance is it new fuel ? the best way to tell is does it have a horrible odor smell like rotten gas odor when you try to start it

another problem with poulans is we get alot of them in the shop since we are a warranty center for poulan we get them in here with the same problem you describe run and conk out or wont start do me a favor take the carburetor off behind the carburetor you will see two screws should be phillups head screws or hex key screws there is a plate behind the carb.

that bolts into the intake part of the cylinder sometimes that bolts get loosen by vibration etc.

take and make sure they are tightened if they are loose then that is your problem you are getting to much air and not enough vacuum to draw the fuel in the carb.

another thing to look at what color is the spark orange or blue orange is bad spark blue is good spark

if for some reason its orange chances are the coil has gone bad on the unit but i do believe the problem lies in the carb or in the carb housing being loose

or the fuel lines routed wrong do these tests and see what happens

calvin

Ill try this tomorrow. its new gas, got it last week.

Last edited:
actually i just checked your saw out on part smart and it only shows a bracket behind the carb with a gasket and another gasket on the front side of the carb so unless it may be that bracket has a crack in it or something if all this stuff checks out ok

the only other thing left is the carb itself being needed of cleaning out and kit placed in it or new carb itself

The lines are reversed

You have the two reversed.

The porous piece is part of the vent.

The fuel inlet is on the side of the carb and is where the fuel line with filter attaches.

You have the two reversed.

The porous piece is part of the vent.

The fuel inlet is on the side of the carb and is where the fuel line with filter attaches.

ok I did this, and it ran without the filter. even cut a log in half. then I put the filter and the casing back on and the damn thing will start but wont run:censored:. I figured I pinched the fuel line or something so I removed the fuel lines and started over with new line, wont run over idle.

I've had terrible luck with chainsaws lately, first my new Stihl quit after 6 months, its been in the shop for 6 weeks, they say there backed up from the ice storm.

now I cant even get this one to run right.

I got about 10 or 15 large branches I need to clean up and its gonna be spring by the time i get it done at this rate. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

I NEED A BEER

Did you replace the impulse line too.
My dad's was cracked on his 3300 from age. Saw was bought new in 80's and is still kicking like a 54cc should.
Just trying to give you a heads up to check it close too.

Your filter is likely varnished shut. You can try to spray it out with carb cleaner and blowing through the nipple but it usually doesn't work too well.

The impulse line is the line from the brass fitting on top of the carb to the cylinder base and you should check and replace it as well as cut said.

The other thing to make sure of is the vent valve is installed the right way.

It should let air in to the tank but not out so drain the tank and make sure you can blow in to the vent line.

ok I did this, and it ran without the filter. even cut a log in half. then I put the filter and the casing back on and the damn thing will start but wont run:censored:.

Judging by your comment, I say replace the darn filter and you should be good to go...

Poulan 3300 bar oil leak

Can anyone give me some advise about fixing a bar oil leak on my Poulan 3300. Seems to be coming out of (what I guess is) the orfice for oiling the chain. I have shut the flow screw down to the fully closed position, but oil still comes out as the saw is running. Is there supposed to be some type of a control cap on this orfice? Help please!!

Last edited:
Sound like it is working properly to me, chainsaw is running and oil is coming out the oiler right? This is an old saw so it probably oils as long as the engine is running, not like new ones that shut down at idle.

Poulan 3300

I have had this saw from new and it has never leaked out oil like now. The oil just runs out of the orfice like nothing is controling it, totally covers the lower part of the saw and what ever it is sitting on. Is there some other type of control inside somewhere that might be stuck open?

Latest posts

Back