Poulan 4200/5200 vs Stihl 441C M-tronic (Will race them 7/19/14)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As strong as I know the 4200 is, there has to be a significant difference in the chains. Cut times are nearly the same even though the 441 is turning way more RPMs in the cut.
Spot on you were. I would never have imagined there would have been this much difference, as that chain on the stihl was still in good shape, but the new 33rc woodland pro made a tremendous difference. Saw just self fed, very little pressure to get it to cut like crazy.

I was telling my dad about you commenting on the chain. He expressed some amazement that someone with experience could just look at the video and tell about that chain....Pretty cool

Videos are slow to upload, but they are slowly coming. Will get them up, but I have more questions than answers now......

This tree had a hollow spot at the top and has a lot of dead wood in the top. The wood at the beginning yesterday was solid, but we ended up getting into some softer dead wood as we continued to cut. This affects time. It rained last night so outer part of wood was wet. Does this affect anything?

5200 wore the same bar and chain that the 4200 had yesterday morning. Only 2 cuts on this chain (did that affect anything)? Stihl had brand new chain of the same type.

5200 had an 8 pin sprocket on it from when I had been messing around with it when I first got it. I left it on there. Would a 7 pin make any difference? 5200 did bog a few times when it hit some different wood and I had to back off of it quickly.

So definitely need to do further tests on a better tree, this is just what we are cutting up now, as this tree needed to go.

:)this is good :ices_rofl:
:popcorn::popcorn:
At least this thread may have some entertainment value. Don't know that there is any really useful info. I'll get cut videos uploaded when I get to work.

For now, just the battle dance teaser....

Notice the 5200 calmly watching the 441c do its dance. It is concerned about the m-tronic as it has no knowledge of computers, but at the same time, comforted by its extra 15cc. So it's not really worried.....I don't think.

Poulan 5200 has 8 pin sprocket. Chain was brand new yesterday and only made the cuts shown in the video yesterday.
Note that some of the trees wood is starting to change to a white color. This is where the dead wood starts. Sucks for comparison sake, but this is the tree we are working on.

Here's the last of them.

After the cutting was done, I asked the saws what they thought about it. See video below.

That 5200 sounds a touch lean to me, doesn't want to fall back to idle like I want one to
Possibly. I hadn't run the thing in a year. Had to do a little adjusting. I did lean the low screw out a little to raise the idle (I know that's a no no). But the little screwdriver I had was too little to turn the idle adjust knob. And that as they say is that.

when we had 5200s in the woods, we made the chain really aggressive, more so than what we run now........like was said, those saws don't turn the rpms but they got grunt. i wouldn't want to make a living with one now though.

Back