Poulan Pro 335

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Mark, I went and looked through the other thread about your 325, and I'm now confused again. I might have drawn the wrong conclusion, but the Acres site lists "poulan-weedeater" and then "poulan-electrolux" as though the purchase occured around 1987/1988. Perhaps it was just a re-organization/re-naming of different Elux divisions at that time.

Either way, I'm with you in that since the design originated with and was only used by Poulan, then it's a pure Poulan.

Your 325 on the other hand was definitely the partner 5000, and is a VERY good saw. Don't see many of them around.

The whole Poulan Pro lineup back then was an interesting mix of good saws from brands that were on their way out. 1/3 Poulan, 1/3 Pioneer, and 1/3 Partner. I suppose that the idea was that all three of those brands had limited dealer networks, as well as incomplete model lineups. Combining all of them should have resulted in all of the dealers having a stronger selection of saws. In the short term, it may have given those dealers a boost. But in the long term it could only prove to be pointless. As the different brands all lost their unique designs, all that would exist today would be essentially what we have with Jonsered. The same as Husky, but in a different color. And while the Jonsereds are arguably the best looking saws out there, I'm not so sure about a yellow and black 372. :cheers:

OK Mark, I went and looked through the other thread about your 325, and I'm now confused again. I might have drawn the wrong conclusion, but the Acres site lists "poulan-weedeater" and then "poulan-electrolux" as though the purchase occured around 1987/1988. Perhaps it was just a re-organization/re-naming of different Elux divisions at that time.

Either way, I'm with you in that since the design originated with and was only used by Poulan, then it's a pure Poulan.

Your 325 on the other hand was definitely the partner 5000, and is a VERY good saw. Don't see many of them around.

The whole Poulan Pro lineup back then was an interesting mix of good saws from brands that were on their way out. 1/3 Poulan, 1/3 Pioneer, and 1/3 Partner. I suppose that the idea was that all three of those brands had limited dealer networks, as well as incomplete model lineups. Combining all of them should have resulted in all of the dealers having a stronger selection of saws. In the short term, it may have given those dealers a boost. But in the long term it could only prove to be pointless. As the different brands all lost their unique designs, all that would exist today would be essentially what we have with Jonsered. The same as Husky, but in a different color. And while the Jonsereds are arguably the best looking saws out there, I'm not so sure about a yellow and black 372. :cheers:

My research come up a little different then Acres but it's pretty close.

Actually I found out that the 325 is NOT a 5000+H+ as listed on Acres site. It is actually a Partner 540, which from what I can tell was never imported to the US as a Partner, but your right, the 325 does ROCK!

While I'm not real happy as to what Elux did with Poulan, I would have to think that it was a sound bussiness move for them. For good, bad or whatever, they have sold a ton of them.

I agree completely. In the long run, it has proven to be a smart move to position the Poulan brand the way they have done it, and they do sell a lot of them, not to mention this stuff is still being produced for Sears in decent numbers. (and I like the red way better than the gray).

Another way to look at this is that allthough Poulan is just considered to be an inexpensive saw brand now, they have faired FAR better than did either Homelite or McCulloch. So, viewed in that context, the folks at Electrolux deserve a round of applause.

Last edited:
Mark - PM sent, thanks.

Today I did a quickie muffler mod, just drilled 2 3/8" holes near the bottom of the muffler in the flat recessed area. I'll weld small pipes over the holes later, just wanted to see what it would do for the saw. Went down to the dealer and got a nice new chain on it as well. The rubber AV mount (called an "isolator" on the part list) only cost $3.99 and is available thru Husky, and will be here next week. I did see the Type 1&2 designations on the shop's IPL, looked like Type 2 was spring mounts. I'd be interested in converting to springs if possible though, but I'm not sure if they are swappable like on many Huskies. I find spring AV much smoother than rubber, hence why I prefer Husky's AV over Stihl's. The saw's still usable as-is, just a little loose and I wouldn't want to run it a lot like that.

That didn't stop me from making some test cuts today. This thing has some bawlz! I almost don't want to send it dad's way now. Not sure if I like it more than my Husky 50 - I'd have to do a side-by-side to really decide, I guess. It sounds and feels almost identical in-hand, and definitely looks better - the 50's been around the block a couple times. And considering I paid $225 for the Husky, this one was a steal. I really don't understand pawnshops and their pricing sometimes. And it doesn't seem to be a Husky/Stihl preference over other brands either - they had a 394XP in worse shape than the 066 I picked up yesterday, and wanted almost twice the price. Go figure.

Mark - PM sent, thanks.

Today I did a quickie muffler mod, just drilled 2 3/8" holes near the bottom of the muffler in the flat recessed area. I'll weld small pipes over the holes later, just wanted to see what it would do for the saw. Went down to the dealer and got a nice new chain on it as well. The rubber AV mount (called an "isolator" on the part list) only cost $3.99 and is available thru Husky, and will be here next week. I did see the Type 1&2 designations on the shop's IPL, looked like Type 2 was spring mounts. I'd be interested in converting to springs if possible though, but I'm not sure if they are swappable like on many Huskies. I find spring AV much smoother than rubber, hence why I prefer Husky's AV over Stihl's. The saw's still usable as-is, just a little loose and I wouldn't want to run it a lot like that.

That didn't stop me from making some test cuts today. This thing has some bawlz! I almost don't want to send it dad's way now. Not sure if I like it more than my Husky 50 - I'd have to do a side-by-side to really decide, I guess. It sounds and feels almost identical in-hand, and definitely looks better - the 50's been around the block a couple times. And considering I paid $225 for the Husky, this one was a steal. I really don't understand pawnshops and their pricing sometimes. And it doesn't seem to be a Husky/Stihl preference over other brands either - they had a 394XP in worse shape than the 066 I picked up yesterday, and wanted almost twice the price. Go figure.

I have a 50 and I'll bet you will be surprised at a side, by side!

I would just as soon run my PP365 as my Husky 262.

Mark, I am picking up a 335 on Friday. I have largely ignored these PP saws (except for the 655 's!!), but now I have my interest up. What can you tell about the difference bw the 330 and 335?

This thread also mentioned that this saw was not a Husky, but is there any J-red connection?

Mark, I am picking up a 335 on Friday. I have largely ignored these PP saws (except for the 655 's!!), but now I have my interest up. What can you tell about the difference bw the 330 and 335?

This thread also mentioned that this saw was not a Husky, but is there any J-red connection?

Neal, as far as the 335 VRS 330, what are you looking to know? I know the 330 is newer, uses a wider crankcase up near the mufflers, covers are completly different and they use a larger carb with a better filter setup.

They use a different cyl but the same piston. The 335 uses a smaller bolt pattern on the jug like the 3300 and smaller saws so a 60cc conversion is not easy on it. The 335 used a HDA-49 carb, while the 330 used a HDA-164 (earlier ones might have used a HDA-137) which are quite a bit larger.

Lots of other parts will interchange though like clutch, oil pump etc.

At the end of the day though I think the 330 might be a little stronger, mostly because of the bigger carb. If I told how close my 330 is to my 5100 through a 12" log, most would not belive me. With a 20" bar buried, the 330 handles the 5100 with 18" pretty easily.

Since this thread was started I have learned a bit more about this series of saws and seems that there were quite a few green models in fact that were chrome bore cyls. The 3450's 3500 and 3600 were some that were. The 3450 type III were also found to be 60cc saws instead of 54cc like the Type I, II and IV.

Like I said before, I really like this series, there well built, handle excellent and are darn reliable.

They do need the mufflers opened up some to have a chance at running like they are able to.

Here is the muffler mod I did on my PP335 and it runs well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Mark. That's what I was looking for. As I mentioned, I have never paid much attention to the newer PP other than the 655.

BTW, my first cousin's husband was the manager of the Nashville plant for many years. I exchange emails with them several times per year. I guess I need to pick his brain sometime. I remember going to their house in '96 and being shown the plant. Boy, do I wish I had gotten a tour.

Thanks Mark. That's what I was looking for. As I mentioned, I have never paid much attention to the newer PP other than the 655.

BTW, my first cousin's husband was the manager of the Nashville plant for many years. I exchange emails with them several times per year. I guess I need to pick his brain sometime. I remember going to their house in '96 and being shown the plant. Boy, do I wish I had gotten a tour.

Neal, I would like to sit down and have a talk with your cousins husband as well. He would probably tire of my questions very quickly though. :msp_ohmy:

Ok, Friday has come and went, where is the new saw?

Neal, I would like to sit down and have a talk with your cousins husband as well. He would probably tire of my questions very quickly though. :msp_ohmy:

Ok, Friday has come and went, where is the new saw?

I came home with it and a 405. The bad news is that both have scored cylinders. The 335 is the older style without a chainbrake. The piston doesn't look too bad and I am guessing the cylinder will clean up.
The 405 is in great shape. The only missing paint is on the corner of the CB. Otherwise, it looks like the day it left the factory. I am guessing it died a quick death.

Are there piston/cylinder upgrades for either of these?

I picked up a P45CB last week (don't know if you saw the thread, you didn't comment) that is a runner, so I'm not really interested in another 68-72cc saw.

I came home with it and a 405. The bad news is that both have scored cylinders. The 335 is the older style without a chainbrake. The piston doesn't look too bad and I am guessing the cylinder will clean up.
The 405 is in great shape. The only missing paint is on the corner of the CB. Otherwise, it looks like the day it left the factory. I am guessing it died a quick death.

Are there piston/cylinder upgrades for either of these?

I picked up a P45CB last week (don't know if you saw the thread, you didn't comment) that is a runner, so I'm not really interested in another 68-72cc saw.

Bummer on the pistons.

The 335 piston can be had from Poulan Part #530071321 PISTON KIT 47.4 As for P/C upgrade, I'm not sure there are any straight up bolt on's. The PP365 60cc P/C may work, but the bolt pattern on the cyl is larger on the 60cc. Seems there was a member or two here that made that swap.

As for the 405, I'm not sure on that one.

I must have missed the thread on the 45!

Latest posts

Back