Poulan Pro 655 BP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got around to going through my PP 655. I'm one of those that got lucky, and it turned out to be a Boost Port saw! This was going to be a quick disassembly, clean up, new rings, and new seals. Unfortunately, the divider that's epoxied in between the fuel and oil tanks was loose. So, I got to split the crank case. It's back together and running great.

The main reason that I wanted to go through this saw, was lower compression than I expected. As it turns out, the P&C are in excellent condition. I re-assembled it with new OEM rings. Compression is still only abouty 128 PSI. Oddly enough, it feels like 160-170 PSI. Squish is .032". There's nothing at all wrong with the saw, so that's just what it is. Anyone ever tested their PP655 BP?

Ah, I almost forgot. I was able to locate all the parts to set it up with the factory K&N filter. Everything but the base was readily available. CPR gave me the contact where he bought a base not too long ago. I called, and apparently got the last one. Had they had more, I would have bought them and passed them on to someone else here looking for one. It makes for a pretty cool looking saw!

IMG_0929-M.jpg

IMG_0931-M.jpg

IMG_0934-M.jpg

IMG_0932-M.jpg

IMG_0935-M.jpg

IMG_0936-L.jpg

Looks sweet. Gotta get going on the rest of the parts to get mine set up that way...

I have a 655 BP with a nos p/c that is blowing 180 and isn't even broke in yet. AS member srcarr put it together for me. No base gasket,but had to take .002 off the top of the piston to get the squish he wanted. I'm running a 36" bar and full comp 404 chain on it for now,as that is what I had on hand at the time. I haven't run it since the Iowa GTG in April.

Very odd. I don't understand. This is with the Same SnapOn gauge that reads fine on everything else. Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe I'll tear back into it one of these days and cut the base a little.

Very odd. I don't understand. This is with the Same SnapOn gauge that reads fine on everything else. Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe I'll tear back into it one of these days and cut the base a little.

Put some good run time on her first.
Really load it up and brake it in then
see what it is before you tear into it.

Lee

I guess I must be the only one who really don't care that much for the looks of that K&N filter setup on those.

I'm weird like that sometimes I guess.

That aside, I still would probably go for that setup as it has to certainly be a better filtering setup.

You are not alone, I ran a demo saw with that setup back in the day. I never liked anything about it, but we were all running the green foam filters back then and our distributer was trying to get us to run these, he didn't sell one of them.

I think that filter looks cool as heck. I got out of hot rodding automobiles because I simply just can't afford it anymore, plus it's getting a lot harder to climb around under the hood than it used to, heavy parts are heavier than they used to be also. Therefore, I like working on saws and that cool-a... air filter just brings the hot-rod right back out of me! (It didn't all leave to begin with.);)

I'm not a huge fan of that filter setup either, but I am a huge fan of that saw. Yours looks good too. 128 does seem low from what i've read and experienced as well. The one I have now I brought to a buddy's shop when I got it and it blew 145 or so on his gauge and then I installed a new piston and rings that i had purchased for the saw since it was so cosmetically nice. I haven't tested comp since the new piston, but it is for sure harder to pull over now, so I would have to believe it was an increase from the original 145. Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out/cuts.

Latest posts

Back