Poulan Pro 655 BP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dawg swap?

Sweet saw, Brad.

I thought I'd be running my 655BP today, but that's not how the day turned out. I think I'm finally ready to concede the 655 is my favorite (of the saws I own).

Not sure of my compression, because I don't trust my tester - shows low for most everything. I don't worry about it anyway, other than remembering not to sissy pull the cord on the 655. Also, Pioneers have been known to run very well with relatively low compression.

My 655 sports the big, gnarly fangs for dogs. I'm not wild about them for the timber here - what's going to be left of it anyway, after the West Fork Complex fire. Interested in a dog trade?

Jack

I got to run the PP655BP this afternoon. The saw runs great. Unfortunately, the oiler is working very little, if at all. That part's easy to work on, so no big deal going back in to check that out.

[video=youtube_share;0LmQeREL2YQ]http://youtu.be/0LmQeREL2YQ[/video]

I guess I must be the only one who really don't care that much for the looks of that K&N filter setup on those.

I'm weird like that sometimes I guess.

That aside, I still would probably go for that setup as it has to certainly be a better filtering setup.

I think it LOOKS great, but I really wouldn't want one.
I've seen a couple that actually have to work for their keep with that setup and they seem to get beat up pretty badly. It might still work just as good but I don't see how, and they look like hell when they get dented and crushed.

The 6555BP I have has between 145 and 150 on my gauge. I'd like to check it on your gauge sometime Brad.

I'm not going to put any run time on mine until I replace the seals, check the block off between the tank and oiler, and do a P/V test. Like you Brad, I have been too busy to get that done yet!

Mike

oil pump

Brad,

You'll likely figure out you oil pump right quick. In my case, among numerous bugs I had to work out of my 655, the oil pump suction line wasn't hangin' down where it's sposta be. I think I replaced the line too, and now it's fine.

For the record, my non-BP blows 150psi.

Put me down for liking the big spikes. I swapped the little ones for some big West Coast ones and now when I set the saw down, the 33" bar stays up.

I have most of the parts to put the chain brake back in mine, too. I wasn't going to, but the more of these I see with it, the more I want it on there.

I don't mind the looks of the Air Filter. It is much better thought out than the one on my Solo 603 (which had a West Coast version with a K&N cone filter).

603WC_zpsf51b3dbb.jpg

Brad....that saw cuts really well. Chips just POURING out the bottom, what chain are you running on it?

Flint.

That was an easy fix. The oil hole wasn't lining up correctly. I'm not up on all the bar mounts. I had to open up the stud slot just a hair to mount it on the saw last week, and failed to check the oil holes. It's slinging oil now:clap:

Thats odd. Most of those PP bars you see around are the D007 which fits these saws. Is yours a D009 that was meant for the PP505 instead? There a few of them still floating around.

Whats the part # on the bar?

All my stock 655's pump 150ish. That's what they are supposed to be stock. Pulling the base gasket and running about .020 squish usually will get you close to 160lbs. Did you hone the cylinder? I should be around all day tomorrow if you want to gimme a call.

I think the stock af cover looks better than the K&N myself. I use the K&N filters on my work saws. The filtration is unbeatable. MUCH better than the stock filter.

Last edited:
Thats odd. Most of those PP bars you see around are the D007 which fits these saws. Is yours a D009 that was meant for the PP505 instead? There a few of them still floating around.

Whats the part # on the bar?

That is odd, even if it was a D009 mount the oiler hole should line up as its in the same position as the one on the D007.

I have a D009 mount on mine and it oils without any mods other then filing the slot just a red hair...

I would suspect the decomp, it may not always seal perfectly.
Have Poulan BP655 chainsaw with defective decomp, closed qlmost immediately. Almost jerks my arm from my shoulder. Do you know where I might find one? I've scoured the internet...no luck.
Thought about getting oversized decomp and retap to fit, but can't figure out thread size. Looks to be 5/16, but neither 18 or 24 tpi tap fits defective decomp.

Have Poulan BP655 chainsaw with defective decomp, closed qlmost immediately. Almost jerks my arm from my shoulder. Do you know where I might find one? I've scoured the internet...no luck.
Thought about getting oversized decomp and retap to fit, but can't figure out thread size. Looks to be 5/16, but neither 18 or 24 tpi tap fits defective decomp.

Take a 6” machinist scale and count the number of threads per 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch and multiply accordingly to get number per full inch.

Also measure the major diameter and report back.

It may just be metric. [emoji848]

New to you saw?
I think that's how they are supposed to work.I never use the decomp on saws.

Take a 6” machinist scale and count the number of threads per 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch and multiply accordingly to get number per full inch.

Also measure the major diameter and report back.

It may just be metric. [emoji848]
Major thread dia. Is slightly more than 0.30....5/16 is .310
Measured 3 threads per 1/4 in., 6 threads per 1/2 in.
Thus I would say the thread size is 5/16 -12. Doubt it is metric as it was wanufactured in Canada by Pioneer I believe.

Latest posts

Back