Poulan Pro 655 BP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Major thread dia. Is slightly more than 0.30....5/16 is .310
Measured 3 threads per 1/4 in., 6 threads per 1/2 in.
Thus I would say the thread size is 5/16 -12. Doubt it is metric as it was wanufactured in Canada by Pioneer I believe.
Found 5/16-12 die for $35 to $100.
I will check with a friend to see if they have this die at his machine shop. Would like comfirmation before spending that money.
Thanks!

New to you saw?
I think that's how they are supposed to work.I never use the decomp on saws. Hnmb
I consider myself a very fit 72 year old. Have used many different saws, mostly Stihl and Echo. This Poulan is a beast, nearly 100 cc.
I have used this saw once for 1 tank of gas n was unable to start for stated reason. Even my repair guy complained he wanted to throw my saw out the window after trying to start it.
If you don't use the decomp on a saw of this size you are a better man than I.

Well lads.......starting a 100cc saw without a decomp is not undoable.......I been starting a 1200cc Harley the last 42 years with my leg...without any decomp....what this takes is conviction.....and I can't stress this enough. I have a 80cc Jonsereds 80 that has always developed 238 lbs of compression the whole time I've owned it........though it's no where near 6 CI in displacement , is a bad starter.....if you think you can just pull it over....pain will be on you. This saw, if it kicks back on you will tear the tee handle through your fingers leaving black ,marks on your skin. You have to be committed......bring her up on compression.......pick up the slack in the cord and pull 'er through like you mean it. This is what it takes to start a large saw ......just the way it is....with or with out a decomp....

Well lads.......starting a 100cc saw without a decomp is not undoable.......I been starting a 1200cc Harley the last 42 years with my leg...without any decomp....what this takes is conviction.....and I can't stress this enough. I have a 80cc Jonsereds 80 that has always developed 238 lbs of compression the whole time I've owned it........though it's no where near 6 CI in displacement , is a bad starter.....if you think you can just pull it over....pain will be on you. This saw, if it kicks back on you will tear the tee handle through your fingers leaving black ,marks on your skin. You have to be committed......bring her up on compression.......pick up the slack in the cord and pull 'er through like you mean it. This is what it takes to start a large saw ......just the way it is....with or with out a decomp....
I start my 137cc without a decomp, drop start it.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help many, but I'll continue to look for a solution for my decomp and save my shoulder n fingers. You're the better man.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help many, but I'll continue to look for a solution for my decomp and save my shoulder n fingers. You're the better man.
I'm 74 and if you send me that saw, I will show you how to start it in a video. You have to be a man.

Cant Dog my brother bought a new Jonsereds 80 in 1974 it wasnt always a one or two pull starter. I used it on several ocassions and totally understand what you say .I was 19 years old in top shape I always drop started it but if you wern"t paying full attention your fingers were half tore off and at times the rope would break at the starter handle when it flew back in.The 80 was a good saw on the landing but was really to big a saw for the spruce and pine we were cutting. In mind I can still hear the sound of her idling same way the Stihl 08s sticks in my head.
Kash

Back