Poulan super 25da

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challenger

Cheese is good.
Reaction score
I really hate to post about this saw again but I am desperate. I am ground zero post hurricane Florence and I need a working chainsaw that is lighter than my dolmar 120si or my partner 500.
I completely rebuilt this saw (labeled as a Dayton) a couple of years ago. New cylinder, piston, rings etc. Essentially everything but the case and crank. I also either rebuilt or got a brand new carb. I had it running fairly well after rebuilding it. What I mean by fairly well is that I always seem to have to hold my tongue just right in order to start it and keep it idling like a decent saw should. Now, after starting to clean up all this hurricane wood I can't keep it running. I will list below some symptoms:
Doesn't start easily and once started doesn't stay running and is subsequently hard or impossible to restart. Sometimes ether will help sometimes not.
With no start WITH ether I figured no spark BUT I do get spark and the plug isn't fouled and actually looks very good.
It starts and runs best without the carb cover on so I thought maybe the excessive chain oiling was blocking fresh air. I emptied the bar oil but still get bad results with the cover on. The filter is not clogged with debris or oil.
I notice a lot fuel spraying from the carb when tuning the high rpm needle. This is the case if I have the saw running full out and smooth or full out and out of adjustment. I'm thinking that seeing the fuel spray is normal? Fwiw I see liquid gas coming out of the brass orifice at the opening of the carburetor. Is this right?
I'm using new gas and amsoil Saber 100:1 mixed at 50:1.
Now for some theories about what to do:
Get a more tacky bar oil than the Ace bar oil I'm using so it isn't running out of the saw (and potentially ruling the fresh air???)
Tear into the carb AGAIN (can a carb spew fuel through the high nozzle even with the high needle adjusted lean??? )
I'm tempted to take this saw and smash the **** out of it has me so frustrated. At the same time I m so ****** stubborn that I hate to be beaten by it.
I am seeking a logical, thorough and systematic troubleshooting program to help me with this saw. The other two saw are just too big for almost all the stuff I do around the house so I keep them in a storage unit. The 25DA does everything I need to do if/when it runs. It's chain is sharp as hell and it cuts like mad. It also burns my ass like a midget with a lighter when I have to **** with it. BTW I store it dry and run the fuel out of it. Dang! This reminds me! I shouldn't assume that doing so still guarantees I don't have a fuel delivery problem. I'll check it tomorrow but am still requesting information and input from the knowledgeable folks here.
Many thanks.
Hurricanes really blow[emoji16].

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

But several here will tell you that it is a flywheel crankcase seal!!!!

This thread really needs moved to the Poulan -Chainsaw Stickies forum.

Hard starting? Poor idling? Post Florence?

Regardless, this saw still needs the standard pressure & vacuum tests performed after the rebuild for finding/fixing any air leaks.

It’s very likely that the midget sized oiler diaphragm has a huge hole in it (air leak), worn out where the plunger rod & washers passes through it.

Pirate air pattern failures on these saws are the oil pump diaphragm, cylinder base gasket, cylinder stud threads into crankcase, and the crank seals.

In the last two years I have found & replaced over 15 leaking crank seals out of the 13 or so restored S25 series saws I completed, a whopping 57% death rate. Age has finally caught up with them!

A small amount of carb spit back is normal at full throttle, BUT the reed valve needs reseated & the carb metering lever needs adjusted to floor level to minimize it. The reed valve end gap has got be less than 0.010”. Flip it over if you don’t have a new spare.

I still own & operate over a dozen different S25 series trim saws, and they are the easiest saws in the world to work on, find parts for & to troubleshoot.

The only issue with these is having to take the top cover off to adjust the carb mixture screws...

5C50115C-F38E-4FD8-8A41-2EE879C14FA6.jpeg

Here is a pic of the points/cond. that I found on the internet.

A module would likely work real well, but I don't ever remember doing one on this model.

points.jpg

This is an old Dayton saw if I didn't already mention it. I'll get a photo of it asap. If memory serves it does have points.
I looked at the poulan sticky thread but didn't see anything specific to the 25da. I'm likely not navigating the site properly using Tapatalk. I would definitely like to learn how to diagnose the possible air leak problems mentioned earlier. Most here seem very knowledgeable about chainsaw diagnosis and repair so I will say that I greatly appreciate the patience from everyone. I'm OK at wrenching but my diagnostic abilities with these saws, as well as most ornery 2-cycle engines, is lacking. I regasketed whatever needed when I rebuilt the saw but I didn't do any vacuum or pressure test so I can't be convinced the problems I'm having aren't related to poor sealing.
If anyone happens to be able to point me to a thread about vacuum and/or pressure testing I'd sure be thankful.

This is an old Dayton saw if I didn't already mention it. I'll get a photo of it asap. If memory serves it does have points.
I looked at the poulan sticky thread but didn't see anything specific to the 25da. I'm likely not navigating the site properly using Tapatalk. I would definitely like to learn how to diagnose the possible air leak problems mentioned earlier. Most here seem very knowledgeable about chainsaw diagnosis and repair so I will say that I greatly appreciate the patience from everyone. I'm OK at wrenching but my diagnostic abilities with these saws, as well as most ornery 2-cycle engines, is lacking. I regasketed whatever needed when I rebuilt the saw but I didn't do any vacuum or pressure test so I can't be convinced the problems I'm having aren't related to poor sealing.
If anyone happens to be able to point me to a thread about vacuum and/or pressure testing I'd sure be thankful.

Sounds like ignition.

The best advice, to start with, is to go to the “beg for manuals” thread & ask for the S25 service manual. It’s too big for me to post here.
Sent challenger an ipl and service manual. Manual size is limited to just under 9 meg. Service manual was 5.3 meg.

Latest posts

Back