Poulan to release new line of chainsaws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got me one of those 4620 av the price was right:clap: That quick bar adjust is a total piece of ****So I did this to it plus it was set way too lean.

attachment.php

Is that any more than unscrewing the plastic crank and replacing it with a nut? I'm tired of fiddling with the quick adjust.

thanks,
walt

It isn't that long ago that some of the better Jonsereds (that was developed by Partner) were also sold in Poulan Pro colors in the US......:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

Here is a tread about it.

I had one of the partner/jred/PP labled as a poular 475 pro, I think it was a very nicely built saw, it lacked a decent bar tensioner system, i dont knike inboard of the bar adjusters like that, but other than that it was a great saw, loads of power, decent weight, and a good filter system.

This board probably makes up less the 1% of the people that purchase saws every year. I would think Joe homeowner that runs out and buys a $150 (widthingy) saw when a storm hits, makes his clean-up, stores it for 4 years, picks it up and can't start it when the next storm hits, and then runs back to HD to buy another makes up most of this market. Why would anyone want to make a pro grade saw when they virtually own this market?

Maybe Poulan hasn't lost us...but rather maybe we have outgrown Poulan and moved on...

Those $100 33cc Woodsharks sold at Wallyworld and TSC, in my opinion, are very good, practical and safe saws for a homeowner who needs a saw once in a blue moon. Same for the Wildthing. Of course a lot of members mock them but they are good running, little saws that a homeowner needs. Probably, if you took a poll of AS members, for many of us our first saw was probably a Poulan. But as our needs, hobbies, careers matured, so too did our demands from a chainsaw...hence we drive off to greener pastures for our Husky's, Stihls, Dolmars etc. I respect the Poulan and look at them fondly like my first car, a 1976 Vega. A lot of good memories there!

I hope to get my daughters in the woods with me sometime and while I haven't put that much thought to it...I have a feeling their first saw will most likely be a bright green Poulan, 33cc, 14 bar, low kickback chain. :chainsaw:

same thing happened with winchester guns, they built guns that were crap, then the company that owns browning bought them and now they make a Qualify product again. They still have a walmart grade gun . be they also make a high end product.

I was done with Winchester when they discontinued the lever action. I've hear that they not make them again though.

attachment.php

Is that any more than unscrewing the plastic crank and replacing it with a nut? I'm tired of fiddling with the quick adjust.

thanks,
walt

Walt, I will jump in on this one until Austin1 comes back.

I have done the same thing with the 4620, just make room for the forward bar nut in the clutch cover by reaming the plastic away. The chain can still be tightened by the thumbwheel. You can also the order the chainbrake / clutch cover fom dixie sales for the non AVX models.

Walt, I will jump in on this one until Austin1 comes back.

I have done the same thing with the 4620, just make room for the forward bar nut in the clutch cover by reaming the plastic away. The chain can still be tightened by the thumbwheel. You can also the order the chainbrake / clutch cover fom dixie sales for the non AVX models.
You got it covered lol.
I used a hole saw to cut the plastic down to the steel plate.I think one nut would still work and be much better than that plastic wing nut thing but the tension er with the wheel sucks. So I put the regular front tension er in. It's still working well I have not blown it up yet I run a 15'' bar on mine.Wht's funny the saw came with a scrench:dizzy:I guess so you could take the top cover off.

You got it covered lol.
I used a hole saw to cut the plastic down to the steel plate.I think one nut would still work and be much better than that plastic wing nut thing but the tension er with the wheel sucks. So I put the regular front tension er in. It's still working well I have not blown it up yet I run a 15'' bar on mine.Wht's funny the saw came with a scrench:dizzy:I guess so you could take the top cover off.

It came with a SCRENCH! That cracks me up. Was the scrench at least large enough to remove the spark plug, or long enough to not hit the bar or safety stop? Don't answer,.. I can guess. A lot of saws have the "easy tension" option, I wonder if money is saved by the manufactures. I find it just as easy to tighten bar nuts as to turn a locking knob. I trust bar nuts. I prefer to tighten the bar with 2 nuts, not just 1 knob.

It came with a SCRENCH! That cracks me up. Was the scrench at least large enough to remove the spark plug, or long enough to not hit the bar or safety stop? Don't answer,.. I can guess. A lot of saws have the "easy tension" option, I wonder if money is saved by the manufactures. I find it just as easy to tighten bar nuts as to turn a locking knob. I trust bar nuts. I prefer to tighten the bar with 2 nuts, not just 1 knob.
Yes it's a real scrench And it has a long handle with a very nice hollow ground slotted tip and you can take the plug out with it. My other Poulan scrench is useless so I through it out.But I don't know if it is original the first owner may have just bought one for it and included it in the deal.

modifying the chain tensioner ona poulan pro 4620

You got it covered lol.

Do you have a picture of the mod you did of the crappy thumbwheel chain tensioner to a conventional chain tensioner? Where did you get the parts
to do the modification? Did you use parts from another Poulan saw?

Thanks!

Silent Bob

Do you have a picture of the mod you did of the crappy thumbwheel chain tensioner to a conventional chain tensioner? Where did you get the parts
to do the modification? Did you use parts from another Poulan saw?

Thanks!

Silent Bob

Hey Bob, welcome to AS . If you'll go to the top of this page and click on 'advanced search' then try search words '4620 mod', and started by 'Austin1' I'll bet you find his explanation with pictures.

Latest posts

Back