Power Mac 6 Mix Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know, another %#$%$% oil thread... Just be glad I'm not asking about bar oil :D

My dad gave me his old Power Mac 6, its a nice light little saw. I've got it cleaned up, JB welded the gas tank, and I think its ready to run.

I've done enough searches to find that the mix ratio is expected to be 40:1.

I have a premixed can with 50:1 for my MS460 using the Stihl synthetic blend (black containers) 2cycle oil. Can I get away with running 50:1 in this older saw with the newer better oil? If I can I'd rather not mix another can for the McCullough, because it likely won't get used much.

I think it'll work just fine, I use 50:1 (synthetic oil) in all my saws old & new and I've never had a problem.

Hey Matt??

You mean you run it in your Mac 250 with no probs??? I was wondering the same with this 7-10A I bought and redoing..I know the oil back in the days wasnt like todays oil,,but the guy I bought it frm said use a 20:1 in her...Wonder if using stihl 40:1 mix would lock her up....Kinda confused ...

You mean you run it in your Mac 250 with no probs??? I was wondering the same with this 7-10A I bought and redoing..I know the oil back in the days wasnt like todays oil,,but the guy I bought it frm said use a 20:1 in her...Wonder if using stihl 40:1 mix would lock her up....Kinda confused ...

Do a little experiment. Take two cups and put some gas in them. Now put a teaspoon of modern 2-stroke oil in one and a teaspoon of SAE30 motor oil in the other. See what happens.

Do a little experiment. Take two cups and put some gas in them. Now put a teaspoon of modern 2-stroke oil in one and a teaspoon of SAE30 motor oil in the other. See what happens.

I'm not going to go through the trouble to do it, but I'm going to assume that the results tell you modern 2-stroke oil will lubricate way better than the old stuff, therefore you can get away with a leaner mix?

I use 40:1 synthetic in my old David Bradley. No problems so far.
Ditto I run 40/1 in my Sp 105 for years, now hell I run 40/1 in everything I own that is two stroke. But I have been known to run 50/1 in everything as well just depends on what I have mixed up at the time. I really don't think it matters as long as there is at least 50/1 ratio of good oil in the gas you are running.

Sure do, I run the same fuel/oil mix in my older stuff that I run in my newer stuff and I've never had a problem. Like others have said, thare's a big difference in the old oils and the newer synthetic oils. It's been many years since I ran 20:1 in anything and I don't see a problem running the Stihl mix at 40:1 in your 7-10A.

Hows the Castrol 2 stroke 50:1 oil??? Thats what I got.

I remember the good old days........Get a 59 cent quart of 30 weight oil and dump it in the 5 gallon gas can - then fill up the can with gas for 32 cents a gallon.

Later I got sophisticated and would actually buy some form of 2 stroke oil when mixing.

Then I got even more refined and started buying synthetic oil specifically for air cooled two strokes! I could go a whole year on a spark plug in my motorcycle!

About 4 years ago I had several jugs with 32:1 for the tiller, 40:1 for the weedwacker and blower, and 50:1 for the saws.

Now I use a quality synthetic 2 stroke air cooled oil mixed at 50:1 for everything. All the equipment works just fine and gets used regularly with no problems related to the use of a standard mix. Even my 1974 motorcycle that has a 20:1 label on the tank runs just great at 50:1 with the synthetic oil.

Latest posts

Back