Powerhead holder...continued

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I've spent more time this year creating ways to hold a powerhead than I did working on saws. I made a saw vice from a bowling ball and posted some pics in the thread below.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/posts/5723652/

Since then I've stumbled upon a couple of used Wilton Pow-R-Arm junior #343 work positioners. They go for around $200 new. I thought that was a lot but it turns out that these things are small, light, smooth and VERY strong. It took a while to comprehend how much they will hold and how simply they function. I pulled both apart to clean and lube. Only a few moving parts in each assembly.

I bolted one to a couple of pieces of angle iron so I could store out of the way when not in use.

20151224_201436.jpg

On the first ball vice I cobbled together a bracket from a piece of 1/4" angle iron. Worked great and fairly simple to do. One small weld at the 90 degree bend. No problem holding my 3120 in position. It's nice and stiff.

20151229_003950.jpg

20151229_003808.jpg

For the 2nd one I tried a bending a piece of 3/16 flat bar in my vice. Radius was kind of large but I got it to 90 degrees. I saved the hole pattern from the bowling ball vice. A little time with a drill press, hand file and angle grinder and it was done. It's strong enough but kind of springy. A tighter radius would have helped. I may weld a small gusset into the corner. Does the job though.

20160322_193006.jpg

I modified the mounting base on the one with the 1/4" angle so the vice clamps onto a piece of 1.5" square tubing. It's hanging on a nail in the wall of my shop waiting for a project. Two feet from my bowling ball powerhead holder. Either Wilton #2 needs to find a new home or I need to get a bunch of project saws lined up.

20160322_193315.jpg

Those are innovative and fun shop projects, I loved the bowling ball vise, that has to be a great conversation starter with customers at the shop :)
I went down this same route, but wanted something that could be reproduced easily.
I got Mike (homelite410) to create these arms based loosely on the Stihl OEM arm with some improvements to make it lighter, stronger and more universal for a wider range of saws without removing the chain tensioner or spikes.
We made a bakers dozen and they sold fairly well but are pretty expensive to bite off all at once (about half the price of the OEM from Husky or Stihl and better).
Recently I ordered a bunch of the arms only because so many guys wanted to buy one that way and Mike made me a sweet deal on them so the price of the vise and just the arm is much nicer for guys who just want to bolt one up and wrench :)
USA made CNC Aluminum badassedry:)
Dave

I've seen the ones you guys have put together. Very nice for sure. You can't beat the milled aluminum.
I get a weird sense of satisfaction when I convert pickings from the scrap been at work into usable stuff. If I ever get off my butt and buy a welder I'll be that weird guy in my neighborhood with lawn art made of angle iron and square tubing scraps. No single piece of metal longer than 2 feet. No two pieces the same!

Back