PPE??? Which to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll I just got my new Husqvarna 550XP. I have sawed a little before (storm clean up and some firewood.) Now I am looking to spend some great deal of time in the summer cutting wood for sale. I always wear the foam ear plugs because I dont like the bulk of muffs when cutting. Now I want some chaps and a helmet/face shield. So many on the market so which do I buy? Thanks. Post away.

As I already said in your other thread

Don't want to sound unfriendly but there are so many threads about PPE please use the search function to answer the basics before going into something special.

PPE = chainsaw safe chaps, gloves, helmet, eye & ear protection, minimum steel toed boots

everything should be available from your dealer!

A MM is actually against the EPA law as far as I have understood and serious fines can come from it! I seriously doubt that your dealer will do a MM.

Hey ya'll I just got my new Husqvarna 550XP. I have sawed a little before (storm clean up and some firewood.) Now I am looking to spend some great deal of time in the summer cutting wood for sale. I always wear the foam ear plugs because I dont like the bulk of muffs when cutting. Now I want some chaps and a helmet/face shield. So many on the market so which do I buy? Thanks. Post away.

I use Labonville (made in America!) full wrap chaps with a Husky helmet/face shield/ear protectors. I was very surprised at how easy the chaps were to get used to, they are actually quite comfortable. In winter at least:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Labonville or Stihl/Husqvarna-branded chaps should do you fine. Full wrap or not is your call, as is 6 versus 9 layers. If you cut in the woods rather than just on a log pile in your yard, get the bright colored ones for an extra measure of safety - it makes you easier to spot when you're working, and easier to spot if you were ever down and hurt. Make sure that whatever you buy is washable, that makes the chaps experience more pleasant.

Helmets are a good investment if you're cutting in the woods. I like the Husqvarna-branded ones with the nub-and-slot head size adjustment, rather than more expensive the twisty knob adjustment version. For work on a wood pile where stuff isn't going to be falling on your head, good safety glasses are probably more than adequate, though I usually wear the helmet whenever I'm cutting anymore.

I like the Rockman Premium for the combo hat. Labonville full wrap chaps.

Me too...our crew uses 'em and we all love 'em...Rockman forestry systems are comfortable, the ear muffs work great (you can converse with them on, yet bring high performance work saws noise down to reasonable levels...even a ported 880)
They even have an optional accessory drop-down visor, makes ya kinda like Darth Vader with a chainsaw...

We use Lumberwerks chainsaw protective gloves when the cutting is particularly technical...just can't be too careful...

Take care and Saw Safe :msp_thumbup:

My Labonville full wrap chaps were a ton more comfortable once I put some clip on suspenders to the waist belt.

I have some Husqvarna chain saw pants, (have button on suspenders) that are real comfortable. But it has to be pretty cold out. I don't even wear polypropelene long johns when wearing them. My dealer got some on closeout and sold them to me for $25.

Why are some chaps 6 layer and I've seen others stating they are 12 layer. The labonville aren't much more expensive than most other chaps out there.

Good set of chaps, Hard hat, Gloves, Eye protection and something that a lot of firewooders overlook, A good pair of boots. If you have run a saw standing on limbs and in brush, you know how easy it is to slip and fall. especially if it's wet. A good pair of boots with good grips(caulks would be best) might keep you from falling on a running saw.

Back