Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shutup-n-cut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the going rate would be for a MS290 Farm Boss.

I can get one from my local dealer with a 20" bar for just under $400 , I looked on Ebay and there are a few on there that are listed at quite a bit more than this and even used ones are at or close to that , just seems a little strange to me.

Any reason not to get one at this price? I just can't get up the nerve to pull the trigger on this.

That is around the price they go for. The 391s jump up in price considerable.

I'd stick w/18" bar... I'm going to sell mine (locally), get another 036

I was looking at the 20 inch with the thought that if I ever needed it it would be there. Even though most of what I would be cutting will probably be in the 12 inch range wouldn't the longer give a slight advantage to it staying sharper longer figureing a few more teeth on the chain would last longer over the 18 inch bar? Don't think the longer bar would rob power if it is not in the wood. Am I thinking incorrectly

That's the going rate for them. Last MSRP was right around $425 with a 20" bar. They are discontinued and replaced with the 291. I think they pull a 20" bar just fine. If all you are cutting is 12" stuff you will be fine and the added length will make limbing nice.

Can anyone tell me what the going rate would be for a MS290 Farm Boss.

I can get one from my local dealer with a 20" bar for just under $400 , I looked on Ebay and there are a few on there that are listed at quite a bit more than this and even used ones are at or close to that , just seems a little strange to me.

Any reason not to get one at this price? I just can't get up the nerve to pull the trigger on this.

The biggest reason is you get Echo Cs590 for $450 and have a real saw. Steve

That's the going rate for them. Last MSRP was right around $425 with a 20" bar. They are discontinued and replaced with the 291. I think they pull a 20" bar just fine. If all you are cutting is 12" stuff you will be fine and the added length will make limbing nice.

But, let's face reality. Even tho my 290 was my go-to saw, and mine is 5 yr. old, have beaten it severely, and still runs like new, is a real club. Too much weight. Even more so with a 20" bar on it, will really drag in some tough wood, but that is IMO. Not sure if the Echo is a better deal or not, but I would go a different route if I were to do over again.

Folks around here have a funny idea about Stihl values. They think a Stihl becomes gold-plated and goes up in value 50% when it leaves the dealer's door, and selling one to you at that price is doing you a big, big favor.

The 290 has been discontinued, though you can still find them at dealers until inventory is gone. The "Farm Boss" label is being transferred to the MS271. Stihl is dropping the MSRP on the 271 from $439 to $399, same price as the 290. If I were you, I'd find a 271 for $399. The 271 is a better saw in every way. Lighter, cuts faster, more fuel efficient, more anti-vibe. Not sure how many dealers have changed their price to $399 on the 271 yet, as new labels just shipped out last week.

i have a 290 with a muffler mod and a 16 inch bar running a rsc chain. i love running it, just for fire wood. though I like it, can't stop thinking about a more powerful saw...of course, it was given to me new for free:msp_wink:

+1 on the 271. for cutting firewood, the weight difference doesn't matter to me but the improvements over the 290 did.

I really don't think I'd buy a new 290. Here's why. On any given day, in any given market. You can buy a used (often used in one or two trees) for around $200-250. IMHO that's about the right price for one. If your gonna spend $400, your too close to a "real" saw.

I don't mean to piss anyone off. Heck, I own a 290. I just think thats a fair value to attach. At $400ish your getting into the range of a clean 361, or even a used 440 or 044.

I really don't think I'd buy a new 290. Here's why. On any given day, in any given market. You can buy a used (often used in one or two trees) for around $200-250. IMHO that's about the right price for one. If your gonna spend $400, your too close to a "real" saw.

I don't mean to piss anyone off. Heck, I own a 290. I just think thats a fair value to attach. At $400ish your getting into the range of a clean 361, or even a used 440 or 044.

Why do AS members always compare the DSRP of a new saw to what a 10+ year old saw might sell for? I know your new saw is used the second the clerk hands you the receipt, but there is no other feeling like putting the first scratches on it or burning down the case from an engaged chain brake.

Why do AS members always compare the DSRP of a new saw to what a 10+ year old saw might sell for? I know your new saw is used the second the clerk hands you the receipt, but there is no other feeling like putting the first scratches on it or burning down the case from an engaged chain brake.

I get what your saying.

I bought a new 290 about a year ago. It's a decent enough saw. Can't really complain. Maybe it's buyers remorse or whatever. Truth is, it's a good enough saw. Nothing to brag about. But perusing CL, you can generally buy a "near new" one on any given day for roughly half price. I think the market has set that as "exactly what it's worth".

In comparing them to "10 year old saws", I meant no insult to anyone or thing. Only to point out that at the $400 mark, a lot more saw could be had.

Think about this though. The second that new 290 throws chips, it's now a $275 saw tops. Due to them being the "small block chevy" of the saw world. Why not consider buying one that someone already used on their storm blowdown and let them take the initial hit?

Last edited:
never ran a 290 held one once.....i already have a toaster in my kitchen so why to i need one that cuts wood? I feel there are better saws out there for that money used and quite possibly new. But if you want the convince of just walking in and walking out with a saw the there you are....if you have time and inclination put a add in the wanted column see if you can get a 036 a nice 26 a note beat to death husky 55. Not very helpful but what i was thinking.....20 inch chain stay sharper? don't really understand that.

sap can

Back