Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
290 is a decent saw for what it is.
$400 spent can get you a fine saw if you have some time to look.
Little brother drank my Uncles Kool-Aid about Stihl, bought a 290 and was pretty proud of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until he came over to cut up a trailer load.
I proceeded to spank his 290 with my 5100, to add insult to injury let him run my 359. Dang hater rocked the chain on the 359, guess that was the only way he could even get his saw to come close eh?

You hit the nail on the head, the 290 class Stihl is a fine saw until you run a good saw. Steve

"XSKIER, post: 4557658, member: 85202"]5.3s were 320, now 345 this year I think? There's no way I would ever trade my aluminum mds 5.3 for your 327/350.[/quote]
5.3s were 320, now 345 this year I think? There's no way I would ever trade my aluminum mds 5.3 for your 327/350.
Who would drive a Chevy in the first place?

Might have too saddle up on the old blue oval. No more avalanches.

Dont be afraid to buy a used pro saw from a reputable seller here (such as Nmurph). Most of the good guys run in the same circle. I read and observe far more than I post.... so you can pm me for referrals to the good guys. Stay away from listings where the listing is the individuals first post or if they aren't active enough to be known around here.

In addition to the 6400. There is a NOS Husq 359 in the classifieds in the $525 range. (Note: there are two 359s listed.... I'm referring to the one listed by Cambl....not the used one) I own two of these that are ported and I promise you they would humiliate a 270, 271, 290, or 291. No contest.
Or hold out for a used 70cc. I bought a very clean Stihl 044 from Wigglesworth for $500 with a brand new HD2 filter and decent enough 20'' bar.
A stock 359 husky and a stock ms291 would be very close, other then I would still be cutting when you was getting gas.

A stock 359 husky and a stock ms291 would be very close, other then I would still be cutting when you was getting gas.

I'll give you a pass since you're a Newb..... but if you really believe that you have a lot to learn.

Given your opinion..... a Stihl 291 and 311 should run with a 362pro. A 391 should outperform a 362.:dizzy:
Or a Husq455/460 should outperform the 357, 359, 562.:laugh:

Last edited:
I'll give you a pass since you're a Newb..... but if you really believe that you have a lot to learn.

Given your opinion..... a Stihl 291 and 311 should run with a 362pro. A 391 should outperform a 362.:dizzy:
Or a Husq455/460 should outperform the 357, 359, 562.:laugh:

New to the fourm yes, noob no im 45 years old. I started cutting firewood for my mother when I was 13. You want to compare apples to hickory nuts, But any way your 359 wonder saw husky, and a ms291 have almost the same size engine same power same rpm. Yet some how your wonder saw will run off and leave a 291 weird huh

I don't give a flip how long you've been cutting your lack of "saw" knowledge shows. 359 is a semi-pro saw while the 291 is a clamshell boat anchor. And there is nothing weird about "knowing" that my 359 would STOMP a 291. Look at the builder's name in my SIG. Get familiar with the name- you will see it alot on AS.:chop:

The 290 class saw is for the homeowner who doesn't know any better. Same with the 435,445,455,460 Husq.

Last edited:
I don't give a flip how long you've been cutting your lack of "saw" knowledge shows. 359 is a semi-pro saw while the 291 is a clamshell boat anchor. And there is nothing weird about "knowing" that my 359 would STOMP a 291. Look at the builder's name in my SIG. Get familiar with the name- you will see it alot on AS.:chop:

The 290 class saw is for the homeowner who doesn't know any better. Same with the 435,445,455,460 Husq.
It's starting to get ugly, the tension is so thick that you need a chain saw to cut it. Either saw will do it as long as the chain is sharp!:)

Don't cry don't be mad, once again apples to hickory nuts, you are trying to compare a mod saw to a stock saw. A stock 359 and a stock 291 is very close.

odel C.I. C.C. H.P. LBS. Idle Speed Max RPM
359 3.6 59 3.9 12.1 2,700 13,500

ms291 3.39 55.5 3.76 12.1 2,700 13,000

Yep there is a crazy amount of difference in them too saw's lol

The
New to the fourm yes, noob no im 45 years old. I started cutting firewood for my mother when I was 13. You want to compare apples to hickory nuts, But any way your 359 wonder saw husky, and a ms291 have almost the same size engine same power same rpm. Yet some how your wonder saw will run off and leave a 291 weird huh

Don't cry don't be mad, once again apples to hickory nuts, you are trying to compare a mod saw to a stock saw. A stock 359 and a stock 291 is very close.

:laugh: You are the one who compared MY wonder 359 with a 291. At this point, there is no need to discuss any further. Those that "know" saws realize theres more difference than what it says on paper. Paper statistics mean nothing in the woods or on the woodlot.

We still have a few 290's left, what is on the shelf is all that there is left in the U.S. as they are discontinued due to not meeting EPA emissions requirements. Shelf price should be 389.99 with a 18" bar and 399.99 for a 20" bar. People on here bash the 290 because it isn't a pro saw, but the truth is prolly closer to the fact that majority of the members could easily cut their yearly wood with the 290 and not miss a beat. Just remember this is an enthusiast site, folks get rabid about their lastest greatest modded pro saw. Yes, I have several of those, but for the average guy who cuts 15-20 cord a year for their own firewood needs it is all they need. The old pro saw is cheaper to rebuild argument is no longer valid, it is just as cheap to rebuild a clamshell anymore. Anyone who hasn't run a new broke in 291/271/251 would be pleasantly surprised with the improvement over their predecessors. Stihl continues to improve their platforms to meet the EPA challenge, same with Husky they just don't cut compression ratio's and castrate their saws to meet the regs as some companies have.
Seldom see any issues with a properly cared for 290, about the only issues you ever see is fuel lines that develop cracks or pinholes. It was the best selling model of saw for almost 15 years, not a bad record for a "boat anchor". Few people really need a modded pro saw for their own use, they own them because they are enthusiast and want to have the latest greatest hot saw on A.S. or like us own them to get every advantage on speed and production output.

We still have a few 290's left, what is on the shelf is all that there is left in the U.S. as they are discontinued due to not meeting EPA emissions requirements. Shelf price should be 389.99 with a 18" bar and 399.99 for a 20" bar. People on here bash the 290 because it isn't a pro saw, but the truth is prolly closer to the fact that majority of the members could easily cut their yearly wood with the 290 and not miss a beat. Just remember this is an enthusiast site, folks get rabid about their lastest greatest modded pro saw. Yes, I have several of those, but for the average guy who cuts 15-20 cord a year for their own firewood needs it is all they need. The old pro saw is cheaper to rebuild argument is no longer valid, it is just as cheap to rebuild a clamshell anymore. Anyone who hasn't run a new broke in 291/271/251 would be pleasantly surprised with the improvement over their predecessors. Stihl continues to improve their platforms to meet the EPA challenge, same with Husky they just don't cut compression ratio's and castrate their saws to meet the regs as some companies have.
Seldom see any issues with a properly cared for 290, about the only issues you ever see is fuel lines that develop cracks or pinholes. It was the best selling model of saw for almost 15 years, not a bad record for a "boat anchor". Few people really need a modded pro saw for their own use, they own them because they are enthusiast and want to have the latest greatest hot saw on A.S. or like us own them to get every advantage on speed and production output.
+1 , Thanks

In my opinion a Stihl 290 is a fine home/farm saw, Its not a speed daemon and was never ment to be 1 but they do the job very well as long as they are cared for. 1 of the main factors with having a good cutting saw is keeping the chain sharp. If the chain is dull then a wild thing will out cut it (if you can get it running ). I bought my 290 2 years ago new for about $400 with a 6 pack of ultra gallon of bar/chain lube and an extra chain. It cranks and runs fine every time. It doesn't cut like a pro saw but I didn't buy a pro saw either. Keep a sharp chain, run good fuel/oil keep the air filter clean and it will last the average person for years.

Im gonna fold here. But I've bookmarked the thread and I will be interested to see if opinions change over the next year or so as ones are exposed to "other" saws. I don't see spending $400 on a homeowner saw when there are used pro saws for the same money. Not long ago someone offered me another really clean ported Husq 288 for $425. I should of grabbed it but had to put one of my trucks in the shop.

OP I hope you don't get sucked into the "290 trance" and spend $400 on a saw that isn't worth half that at the time of purchase. Look for a good used Poulan Pro 330 or NOS one if you can find it. It is superior in every way. There was a NOS one here on AS not long ago for around $250 if I recall correctly.

The fact is for the last 15 or 20 years anyone walking onto a Stihl dealer will get pushed right towards a 029, 290, or 291 with their over rated HP for what ever reason. Oh boy it's a Stihl and it has 3.8 paper hp it's the saw fo me, time to take the Stihl shorts off and get real. Steve

Back