Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I KNOW any good 50cc saw will cut way faster than a over rated 290 as I've tested them , unless the 291 made a huge improvement in actual power the results will be the same. Just the thruth, no Stihl hype here. Steve
have you run a 291? just askin

I'm just a homeowner and semi-occasional user, so I don't have the wherewithal to make a comparison between saws. I purchased a new 290 with an 18" bar for $380 + tax. Thus far, it's done a fine job for me.

The 291 is noticeably stronger than the 290, at least that is what I think after running one that has been broke in, the 271 is actually as strong if not a little stouter than the 290 imho, the big plus of the 291 is improved air filtration. We carry two brands, Echo and Stihl with Echo being the first line you see when you come in the shop, shop has been carrying Echo 4-5 years longer than Stihl. We can't sell Echo saws regardless of how hard we try, we can't match the prices on the internet, often they are less than our cost.
We get pounded on this issue by customers but Echo cannot give an answer other than they must be stolen, or they must be carried out of HD and put on the net, which is baloney due to non HD models being on the web much cheaper than we can sell them. The only reason we keep the line is for the string trimmer sales, it's a shame, Echo uses some of the best looking cylinders on the market.

In a few day's I will try and give you a fair review on mine. It's broke in you see videos of people all the time. But is the chain sharp, is the gas mixed right, do they know what they are doing.what kind of wood are they cutting There are lot's of good saw's, But I support stihl for two reasons. One dealer support EVERYWHERE two most of there saw's are made in the USA . Anyway I will try and do a video, it will be hickory 14, to 16in stuff

My brother was a proud ms290 owner for around 8 years. Now he has a 14 year old Husky 351 and a 10 year old 359. You could not trade him a new 290 for either of those old saws! :D

Also, my old 45cc 346xp will smoke a ms290! Been there, done that...

The 291 is noticeably stronger than the 290, at least that is what I think after running one that has been broke in, the 271 is actually as strong if not a little stouter than the 290 imho, the big plus of the 291 is improved air filtration. We carry two brands, Echo and Stihl with Echo being the first line you see when you come in the shop, shop has been carrying Echo 4-5 years longer than Stihl. We can't sell Echo saws regardless of how hard we try, we can't match the prices on the internet, often they are less than our cost.
We get pounded on this issue by customers but Echo cannot give an answer other than they must be stolen, or they must be carried out of HD and put on the net, which is baloney due to non HD models being on the web much cheaper than we can sell them. The only reason we keep the line is for the string trimmer sales, it's a shame, Echo uses some of the best looking cylinders on the market.

You of all people are trying to say you try to sell Echo over Stihl, what a joke ??????????? I'd bet your just like any other Stihl dealer and pushed the 290 and now the 291. Steve

You of all people are trying to say you try to sell Echo over Stihl, what a joke ??????????? I'd bet your just like any other Stihl dealer and pushed the 290 and now the 291. Steve

I hope people like him keeps pushing American made products on American's, the 291 is a great saw i'll show you one in a few day's factory stock.

I see it this way if someone wants a bigger more powerful saw than a 290, buy one. If you want a ms 290 buy one. they are what they are
i will say a got a 371 xp, and i am not sure i will use my 290 anymore. I really hate to say this but before you buy the stihl try a Husqvarna

I hope people like him keeps pushing American made products on American's, the 291 is a great saw i'll show you one in a few day's factory stock.

Echo saws are made in Japan or the USA, I have both. Stihl saws are made in Germany, the USA and who knows where else. And yes lets see a vid of a MS291 cutting against a good 50cc saw. Steve

have you run a 291? just askin
Echo saws are made in Japan or the USA, I have both. Stihl saws are made in Germany, the USA and who knows where else. And yes lets see a vid of a MS291 cutting against a good 50cc saw. Steve

There doesn't seem to be much point in argueing, some folks are just hard headed. I have a MS390 that I rebuilt after I Inherited it straight gassed. It just sits in my shop, can't sell it as it was my friend's saw, don't want to use it because it's a brick...

When I explained to my friend that bought the 390 how much better the MS 360 was he was sick. The dealer never told him anything. God Bless him, he was getting sicker and sicker until pain causes him to add untreated fresh fuel to that saws tank.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Anybody that says the ms290 is a great saw, needs to get out and try a few different saws!

I'd much rather have a ms261 than a 'farm boss' !!!
So would I but now you are talking about a pro saw and you can't compare the two. Like it was stated before, the ms290 is a good saw for what it is, I think the ms291 is a much improved saw over the ms290. If you cut every day then a pro saw is a no-brainer, which ever brand you prefer.

So would I but now you are talking about a pro saw and you can't compare the two. Like it was stated before, the ms290 is a good saw for what it is, I think the ms291 is a much improved saw over the ms290. If you cut every day then a pro saw is a no-brainer, which ever brand you prefer.
No need to cut every day to enjoy and much better saw! Life is too short...

Brand pride aside.... A lot of guys on here started with a saw that they now see as inferior to or different than the saws they use most. I wandered in with a 3800 poulan and some veteran Members gave me the skinny. It is a great saw. I still love it and I used it to cut a lot of wood. Now, I have a few other saws that I know have the same power, weigh less and are a little easier on me. What do you think I recommend to my friends?

My current problem is this.......I like to own the saw in a series with the biggest horsepower.

As for the not being able to sell echos over stihls... I believe that. The boys walk into our local stihls dealer with starry eyes and walk right past a pro saw wearing orange and head to the homeowner saws on the stihl shelf. I've seen it soooo many times.

How I see it.

1. the main problem with the 290 is that during it's production time the hole in the muffler has constantly shrunk to comply with EPA rules. That is the reason why all experienced 290 users recommend a serious muffler mod to bring it back to the way it was designed to cut.
2. We are constantly comparing the "farmer line" to the "pro line". There is a reason to distinguish between the two. The farmer line will cut all the firewood any homeowner will need for at least 1-2 decades with out any problem at all. And there were enough guys on the former AS site who used them in a pro setting and never complained one bit.
3. the new 291 model is a much better & faster saw than the 290!

We don't "push" any saw, we sell whatever the customer comes in to buy, it's much easier that way. If Echo would stop or dry up the internet sales of new saws at or below dealer cost it would help dealer sales. We sell the fire out of Echo string trimmers, people don't find cut throat prices on the internet, customers just think we're too high priced on the Echo after looking at them on Evilbay, it's an issue that Echo must fix for us to sell more saws. Anymore the average non AS average Joe wants the cheapest saw they can buy to get their wood cut, due to the economy in our area most come in looking at 170's and 250's, or look for the cheapest used saw we have that will handle at least a 18" bar.
Truthfully, very few people come in today looking long term, or looking for the "best" option, irregardless of brand. I would venture that the majority of dealers have the same experience. Customer's that aren't using saws for a living, logger's, fire wood operations, or tree services, that are looking for a "pro" saw are few and far between. When we do sell Echo it seems like the 550 is the saw of choice in our area, a better option than the 290 long term.

I didn't say anything until the 290 was compared to the 359 as near equal in the cut. I've always stood by the ms290, even though I cant stand the saw myself, understanding it had its place. However, when someone makes a statement as fact, without actually even having a qualified opinion, I felt I needed to ask if he'd actually run a 359.

Then to make the statement that most stihl saws are built in the USA just made me smile.

Brand pride aside.... A lot of guys on here started with a saw that they now see as inferior to or different than the saws they use most. I wandered in with a 3800 poulan and some veteran Members gave me the skinny. It is a great saw. I still love it and I used it to cut a lot of wood. Now, I have a few other saws that I know have the same power, weigh less and are a little easier on me. What do you think I recommend to my friends?

My current problem is this.......I like to own the saw in a series with the biggest horsepower.

As for the not being able to sell echos over stihls... I believe that. The boys walk into our local stihls dealer with starry eyes and walk right past a pro saw wearing orange and head to the homeowner saws on the stihl shelf. I've seen it soooo many times.
I started many years ago with a Poulan 245A and a 3400. Like your 3800 they are great old saws and built like Pro saws should be built. But the newer pro saws are so much nicer to run!

I wandered in here with a old 346xp and had no idea the saw had such a huge following. I get it though! ;)

I didn't say anything until the 290 was compared to the 359 as near equal in the cut. I've always stood by the ms290, even though I cant stand the saw myself, understanding it had its place. However, when someone makes a statement as fact, without actually even having a qualified opinion, I felt I needed to ask if he'd actually run a 359.

Then to make the statement that most stihl saws are built in the USA just made me smile.
You are right, man! The 359 is so much better! They are not even close!

Back