Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of bashing of the ms290 and a lot of comparison to other saws.

The op wasn’t asking witch is better, just if he could get one with the fetchers he wanted and the average price.

The price is around $400.00 for a new ms290 with up to a 20” bar.

If you want a good dependable work horse that starts easy, runs great and will cut good and will last, it’s a good choice for an average home/ranch owner.

There also easy to work on and parts are easy to find should you ever need to work on it.

The thing is he can get either a CS500p or a CS590 for about $450, either one is miles ahead of the 290 in every thing. Steve

The thing is he can get either a CS500p or a CS590 for about $450, either one is miles ahead of the 290 in every thing. Steve

Yes, I think professional bull riding and the timberwolf sent stihl and its farm boss packing. Stihl's 'boss' saws are now absent from the lineup. However, I absolutely despise new saw used saw comparisons. I've bought as many used saws as new saws (both homeowner and PRO), and never been as happy with the used ones as new. I also loath the "hard to work on" argument as well. I don't own my saws to work on them, I own them to cut wood!

I think it's time to let the old 290 rest. It has been replaced by the MS 291, which is a welcomed upgrade.

My problem with the farm boss is that I’ve used one for the past 10 years at my firewood yard and I’ve cut over 1000 cords with nary a whimper out of that old saw.

The reason I never needed another was because the old 290 always started easy ran great and never gave up.

After many thousands of care free hours of operation it finally needed a new oil pump. It was an easy fix and only took me a short time to replace.

Are there better saws on the market? Quite possibly. Does the OP need a better saw? We really don’t know.

I have 4 ms saws and I have never been disappointed.

My problem with the farm boss is that I’ve used one for the past 10 years at my firewood yard and I’ve cut over 1000 cords with nary a whimper out of that old saw.

The reason I never needed another was because the old 290 always started easy ran great and never gave up.

After many thousands of care free hours of operation it finally needed a new oil pump. It was an easy fix and only took me a short time to replace.

Are there better saws on the market? Quite possibly. Does the OP need a better saw? We really don’t know.

I have 4 ms saws and I have never been disappointed.
Mine is on it's 4th oiler pump for some reason. other than that it's a good saw

i have a 290 with a muffler mod and a 16 inch bar running a rsc chain. i love running it, just for fire wood. though I like it, can't stop thinking about a more powerful saw...of course, it was given to me new for free:msp_wink:
If you want a more powerful saw why not make a 390 out of it? I've done several and there doesn't appear to be a downside to it...

Latest posts

Back