Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say anything until the 290 was compared to the 359 as near equal in the cut. I've always stood by the ms290, even though I cant stand the saw myself, understanding it had its place. However, when someone makes a statement as fact, without actually even having a qualified opinion, I felt I needed to ask if he'd actually run a 359.

Then to make the statement that most stihl saws are built in the USA just made me smile.

No one compared a 290 to a mod 359, since the 290 is no more. I said a stock 291 (the 290 replacement) and a stock 359 would be close.

A stock 359 husky and a stock ms291 would be very close, other then I would still be cutting when you was getting gas.
My apologies on that one. However, unless the ms291 is leaps and bounds above the ms290, I would still put my stock 359 up against it any day. However, I will not state that the 359 is better "UNTIL I ACTUALLY RUN THE MS291"!

I know the 359 is a good saw, have you done any mods to your saw. I was just stating they have improved the 291 over the old 290. I have a small husky that I top with. I have had it since 2002. But for me I have a stihl dealer 5 miles from me, the next one is 10 miles and its on my way to work. I have the 291 its still factory. I will post a video up.

I know the 359 is a good saw, have you done any mods to your saw. I was just stating they have improved the 291 over the old 290. I have a small husky that I top with. I have had it since 2002. But for me I have a stihl dealer 5 miles from me, the next one is 10 miles and its on my way to work. I have the 291 its still factory. I will post a video up.
Now we're getting somewhere. I have two 359's, one stock and one that's been played with a bit. Wait, my "stock" 359 has had a muffler mod and the carb tuned to run like it should. When I'm comparing it to the ms290, I'm comparing to a saw that has had the exact same work done to it by myself so I consider it a level playing field. Yes the 359 is a good saw and yes the ms290 is a good saw, but they are nowhere near the same saw. Is the ms291 a better saw then the ms290, I sure hope so and in all actuality it probably is. Is it equal to a 359? That I honestly don't know, I will have to run a 291 to figure that out.

Opinions are different for everybody and plentiful on this board. However, it is important to keep opinions and facts separate. If you love your 290, there really isn't a problem with that, you'll find plenty of others here the that feel the same.

This is at the end of the day, I was working this hickory up for a old guy. He want's every piece to be 16" lol

This is at the end of the day, I was working this hickory up for a old guy. He want's every piece to be 16" lol

Certainly looks to be an improvement over the ms291. One of these days I'm going to have to learn how to take and post up some vids. Still looks like it would benefit from letting it breathe a little bit. At least the chain seems sharp lol.

Would be a good idea. Then everyone would understand what you are talking about.

I have a 140 husky that the guy next door bought new, to cut a limb up with. Then traded me for a load of creek rock. I have ran the little saw on small stuff since 02. for a home owner saw it's a zippy thing.

My brother has a ms290 muff modded and a 359 muff modded. He only uses the 359 now. I've run both and would give the ms290 away free to some poor soul who needs a saw, but has no money. I drive one hour to the Husky/Stihl dealer and have a Stihl dealer 20 minutes away... Now lets talk about how easy it is to work on either saw. ;)

Looks like the ms291 is a better saw than the 290. I will not talk bad about it until I try one. :D

My apologies on that one. However, unless the ms291 is leaps and bounds above the ms290, I would still put my stock 359 up against it any day. However, I will not state that the 359 is better "UNTIL I ACTUALLY RUN THE MS291"!
fair enough!

My brother has a ms290 muff modded and a 359 muff modded. He only uses the 359 now. I've run both and would give the ms290 away free to some poor soul who needs a saw, but has no money. I drive one hour to the Husky/Stihl dealer and have a Stihl dealer 20 minutes away... Now lets talk about how easy it is to work on either saw. ;)

Looks like the ms291 is a better saw than the 290. I will not talk bad about it until I try one. :D
Just try it. I like my ms271 so a ms291 should be stronger. If you try it and don't like it then bash away!

Not to derail, but I think its funny how anyone that ran a ms290 (other than die hard stihl fans) knew the HP rating was off no matter what german company verified it @ (2.8kw-3.8hp). Now the ms291 is way stronger and faster @ (2.8kw-3.76hp)

Not to derail, but I think its funny how anyone that ran a ms290 (other than die hard stihl fans) knew the HP rating was off no matter what german company verified it @ (2.8kw-3.8hp). Now the ms291 is way stronger and faster @ (2.8kw-3.76hp)
Well what do you say about a pro saw at 3.5hp and a semi pro/farmer saw at 3.5hp? Somehow the pro saw always seems stronger and faster! I donot believe that the 3.8hp was off by anything. It is just the same as always when comparing a pro and semi pro/farmer model. The pro saw accelerates much faster so it seems that it is stronger and faster and the cuts seem to verify this.

Well what do you say about a pro saw at 3.5hp and a semi pro/farmer saw at 3.5hp? Somehow the pro saw always seems stronger and faster! I donot believe that the 3.8hp was off by anything. It is just the same as always when comparing a pro and semi pro/farmer model. The pro saw accelerates much faster so it seems that it is stronger and faster and the cuts seem to verify this.

Yeah, I forgot Pro saws use magic kw/hp as opposed to standard farmer kw/hp

I see a lot of bashing of the ms290 and a lot of comparison to other saws.

The op wasn’t asking witch is better, just if he could get one with the fetchers he wanted and the average price.

The price is around $400.00 for a new ms290 with up to a 20” bar.

If you want a good dependable work horse that starts easy, runs great and will cut good and will last, it’s a good choice for an average home/ranch owner.

There also easy to work on and parts are easy to find should you ever need to work on it.

I see a lot of bashing of the ms290 and a lot of comparison to other saws.

The op wasn’t asking witch is better, just if he could get one with the fetchers he wanted and the average price.

The price is around $400.00 for a new ms290 with up to a 20” bar.

If you want a good dependable work horse that starts easy, runs great and will cut good and will last, it’s a good choice for an average home/ranch owner.

There also easy to work on and parts are easy to find should you ever need to work on it.
He did say, "Any reason not to get one at this price?" -- These are the reasons and opinions that followed.

Back