price point for 200T & purchasing advise on big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterarbor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm going to buy a Stihl ms 200 t, and a "big saw" for larger job site tasks.

My questions are: What is the best price for the 200t? Where can I order it? One local dealer says $579.00 but another guy says he will price match even online order. So I need that price.

I'm looking at the Husky 372 or 395 for big wood tasks. I'd like a 36" bar or maybe a bit shorter. My next saw down is a 455, so I come up short a lot and it gets real silly on larger removals.

1. What are good prices for these saws?
2. would you recommend another brand like dolmar or stihl and what are the cost/function benefits?
3. If I can only afford one new ground saw bigger than the 455, should I go for a monster and just keep a shorter bar around?

I'd like to save a few bucks, while not short changing myself on quality. Thanks for the info, as I do not have the time to properly research this right now.:bowdown:

I'm looking at the Husky 372 or 395 for big wood tasks. I'd like a 36" bar or maybe a bit shorter. My next saw down is a 455, so I come up short a lot and it gets real silly on larger removals.

3. If I can only afford one new ground saw bigger than the 455, should I go for a monster and just keep a shorter bar around?

I think 36" on the 372 is pushing it. A 20" and 28" sound about right to me.

If you can only afford one, have you considered a 390? Its almost 2 lbs lighter than the 395 and can still pull a 36" bar. If its your goto ground saw, 2lbs might make a difference...

Alternatively have you considered getting a new 372 and a used 288 or 394.

My questions are: What is the best price for the 200t? Where can I order it? One local dealer says $579.00 but another guy says he will price match even online order. So I need that price.

You CAN'T order it... Stihl products are available from dealers only, and they're not allowed to sell online.. so, best to call the dealers in your area and see who has the best price, or better yet, go into each one and haggle a little.

Your only other option is Ebay, and they fetch the same price (or higher) there (new) than you can get from your dealer.

I haven't bought a new saw, but from what I understand, an extra chain and some oil is about all you're going to get out of most dealers.

Good luck!

Unless stihl has drastically revamped business practices, you can only get a stihl at a stihl or John Deere dealer. The going price of a MS200T in my area is $630 with a 14” bar. The size of your ground saw should be determined by the size of the trees you intend to cut down. In my area, most felling can be handled by a 372 with a 24” bar. It would be my first choice as a felling/bucking saw and should set you back about $750 with a 24” bar. A dolmar 7900 or a ms460 would also make excellent saws.

My thing is that I need a longer bar mostly. The 455 has an 18" bar and it's good for a light ground saw or larger climbing applications. But I find myself monkeying around for too long cutting up big trunks and flushing off stumps. I pass on some jobs just cause I don't have enough saw for the job. So I'm thinking that a 24" bar might not be enough. I don't want to put too big a bar on a small saw. So if I need to pony up the dough for more horsepower I'll do it. I'm just looking for versatility. I don't necessarily want a saw that will sit on the truck and get pulled out 2-3 times a year cause it's such a long bar. Maybe a 395 is the choice for me.

what are prices on the dolmar 7900 and ms460? and any pros cons. We have all of these dealers in Columbus.

You can't order Stihl online, so you'll have to deal with your dealer or buy used. Since you're already going to buy a 200T, why not ask for a package price with MS460 or MS660 and 25" and 36" B&C? He's apt to treat you better, but no guarantees.

The same is true of Husky. Dealers aren't allowed to sell online, but I did buy my 372xp on the net from a dealer. A Husky 385/390/395xp would serve you well.

The dolmar 7900 is a nice saw. It will pull a 28” bar without any problem. I have even used mine to haul a 36” bar with full comp. It did not like it but it did its job. It is my primary go to stump saw. Costs have gone up but I think they are in the $700 class. Like everything about the saw except the air filter, which seems a little anemic and the dealer support, which is non-existent. The 395xp is the only other saw you mentioned that I am very familiar with. They are about $1K and have almost unlimited power. They will pull a 36” bar without any problem but they are heavy and feel “cheap” compared to a stihl 660. Unless you are a young buck, you will sleep really well after bucking with this saw all day.

Logic would conclude that any self-respecting tree worker would already be familiar with most of these saws. What gives with all the questions??

Latest posts

Back