PRO MARK 210 chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I will be looking at a PRO MARK 210, 6'' disc, 20 hp gas wisconsin. This is a older chipper but all parts are still available. Gravely bought them out and had them but now sold them to the B-D co.
There was a modle 210 and 310 being 23-25 hp. Any one know about this chipper modle please help with info. Good or bad.
Thanks.

6" chippers are for chipping bushes and tiny stuff like that. Even a 9" chipper will tick you off after a short while of trying to stuff tree branches in it. WIth a 6-9" chipper you just have too much wood left over to haul off. Save your money for a decent 12" chiper. You can get a Vermeer 1250 or 1230 for about $9K and will be much better off. I demoed a 15" bandit about 2 weeks ago, I swear we were putting in 19" logs into that sucker and it just kept on chomping, that is one mean hard working machine. That chipper was brand new and goes for $28K, but it is a drum and bad a$$!

I missed the 6" part. You do not want that, David. 9" minimum, with 12" pretty much the perfect size. Allmost everyone would agree to that - I thunk.

David, I used to know someone with the Promark 9" capacity machine.-decent performance. The price sounds reasonable-I'd offer lower and see if they will dicker. What is "adequate" in a chipper depends a lot on your typical operations. It is worthwhile for me to salvge wood-A guy buts it from me wholesale and if I have 1 cord or more at a job site he will come and haul it. My Chipper is rated at 4.5" and it is not really adequate-the problem is not chipping ability-it will gobble everything under 3" and over that makes firewood(though I'd only save 4" and over with a bigger machine) the problem is getting wide crotches or twisted limbs to feed through the small (5'x 6.5") feed opening. If that Promark has a wider feed shoot than my Wood Pro I'd look at it seriously. If it has feed rollers I'd really be interested. My hope is that I'll be able to move up to a larger chipper this year-I'd prefer 9" but if the price & design are right I'll seriously consider a 6".-Most of my work is pruning with occasional removals.

I know its tempting, I've tried the small chipper idea, but forget it save a tiny bit more and get a larger machine. you could score a whipper for that money and you would still be better off.Also stay away from the 1230/1250 series crap IMO

Would also suggest used whisper for maybe a little more money if you are not dealing with any big wood. You may be able to get parts for old chipper but what about engine? Wisconson good hard working, long lasting engine but check and see if you can parts for that before purchase.

chipper

I too, have come to this chipper discussion and the other forums about chippers. I need one. I had a decent Vermeer 625. I thought to myself, when I bought it, that I would need no bigger so long as knives are always sharp and aligned/set well. Because I'm a small and possibly mistaken outfit in the eyes of others, I keep firewood. Most of my work happens to come as removals. Lot's of firewood. I've tried to keep track of every possible cost to me i.e., firewood. This may seem an entirely different subject but I believe whole heartedly they are intimately related. Save elm, maple, boxelder for firewood? I think not much.
I need to mention that I found it neceessary to purchase a pair of bull loppers, and reach down for themfar too often, in order to chip with that V625.
If you can possibly save up enough, by all means get a 12" diesel machine. The oil cooled Perkins is great motor as is the Cummins 85hp (3.3b turbo)
hope this helps, I really learned all this by the trial of error and the suggestions from the guys at this forum.

Re: chipper

Originally posted by blackwaterguide
I too, have come to this chipper discussion and the other forums about chippers. I need one. I had a decent Vermeer 625. I thought to myself, when I bought it, that I would need no bigger so long as knives are always sharp and aligned/set well. Because I'm a small and possibly mistaken outfit in the eyes of others, I keep firewood. Most of my work happens to come as removals. Lot's of firewood. I've tried to keep track of every possible cost to me i.e., firewood. This may seem an entirely different subject but I believe whole heartedly they are intimately related. Save elm, maple, boxelder for firewood? I think not much.
I need to mention that I found it neceessary to purchase a pair of bull loppers, and reach down for themfar too often, in order to chip with that V625.
If you can possibly save up enough, by all means get a 12" diesel machine. The oil cooled Perkins is great motor as is the Cummins 85hp (3.3b turbo)
hope this helps, by the trial of erroI really learned all this r and the suggestions from the guys at this forum.
I really learned all this by "trial of error"

Good rule of thumb- always buy the most chipper you can afford and tow. I don't know anyone who ever said they wish they had a smaller machine, but plenty who wish they had bigger.

Well I went to look at this machine friday afternoon and was somewhat imprest with the condition of it for its age. I'll give you the run down on it, and some good pics. As it turned out it has 18 hp kohler mag, I like that better than a wisconsin for getting parts. I looked at service and parts manuals and noticed main bearings for disc had been replaced 3 years back. Had 2 knives about 10'' long that were reversable. Gear reduction on the motor with NO CLUTCH to burn out or replace. The way you engage the cutter disc is the idler pulley on the leaver sticking up, just pull it back slow. Three automotive type belts, simple to replace.
I did not like the fact the disc shroud was not a 2 piece clam shell that opens for easy cleaning. You have to unbolt to remove plates from either side to service.
This thing has been garaged and serviced and is not beat up. You can tell its pretty old though.
Started right up, runs smooth, no smoke, grease zerks on bearings.
I ran some brush through it and some 4'' pieces of dead oak. Haveing never run a chipper in my life I felt like I got mixed results. It ate the brush up great, the 4'' stuff I found myself pushing it to the knives often, but it did well and did not bog down much at all that kohler is a strong little motor. The knives I thought were dull, there were some fair sized big chips out of the edges. I did not see the anvil or gap setting, I have to asume its chipped also and the gap setting???? Will blow chips about 30'. It started its life as a rental here in the area.
This thing looks bullet proof for small stuff the way it's built. Not any gadgets to break.
Why cant you buy stuff like that today.
Asking price was 2250.00
I offered 1500.00, He said no its to valuable of a machine.
I offered 1800.00,He said call him if I would go 2000.00. I left without the machine. I'm woundering if I pi$$ed him of going so low to start with. I noticed a bill of sale in the parts book from the rental place for 2750.00 but I didnt see the date on it.

I dont do tree work for a living, but I do tree work. Dont do the big stuff, mostly small jobs. Tow with a F350 pickup.
Here are some pics. If I dont end up with this thing in my garage I'll be glad to get you in touch with this guy.
Thanks for the input, I enjoy this site to the max. :D

It looks like that Kohler is a replacement engine-which is just fine. The design is very similar to my Wood Pro except for the lack of clamshell. The paint looks a bit rough. My only question is about the feed opening. I wonder about the dimensions at the smallest point(by the cutter wheel) and I don't like the chute that you have to lift everything into (my Wood Pro is similar but it has a large feed table in addition which helps avoid having to hold stuff quite as much.) Frankly David I think that you will like it for a while and then wish for something bigger. If you buy it for $2000 and repaint it and sharpen/replace the knives I think that you could turn your money back when you get tired of using it. Your offers were not out of line in they were made politely(and judging by all of your posts on here I'm expect that they were).:)

Stumper, I didnt measure the opening but I did look at it very close. It looked to be least a full 6''x 6'' at min or abit bigger. I shouda took a pic of that. The guy had no problem with me taking pics of it. I have done my home work on this thing as best I can, all parts are still available, even decals.
Thanks......

Engine does look like replacement, but as stated that is ok kohler is good engine I just sold a small Rayco with a 20hp and engine was very strong. Problems that I see from picture is engine mufflers are not stock they will rattle /rust off with vibration. Not big deal just be aware. Looks like some welding done on hitch tonge also. Looks like cutter wheel bearing has been replaced to probably on both sides since you are supposed to do in pairs. Looks like grease coming out of bearing which means to me seal in bearing is bad. Might give problem later on. Like others have said small chipper might be ok but like someone said I do not know anyone with chipper that ever said I wish I had a smaller machine. I would hate spend money on equipment to do work and then have to turn down jobs because machine not big enough. I think your start price was about right but with a little more I think you can find something bigger and be happier.

I remember the old Promarks, but never used one. However, I have used the 6 inch Vermeer and Bandits. Both do the job they are designed to do. Don't listen to the guys who try to tell you you MUST get a 9-12 inch chipper. Likely the Promark will serve your needs well.

You'll definitely have zero problems towing that with an F350.

I wouldn't like the feed table, but if you're not using it on a day-to-day basis, it should suffice.

I wouldn't be too turned off by the fact that it didn't seem to want to eat the dead wood. Dead stuff is the nemesis of any chipper- save maybe ones with feed wheels to cram it in there (doesn't mean they like it either).

I agree that with a decent paintjob and some maintainence, you could probably get your money back on a re-sale.

(FYI, a 9-12" machine isn't a must... merely alot easier to feed usually. You'll see what we mean when you get going.)

I have a good friend who started with a 6" Gravely w/ 20hp Kohler. It was too slow. He upgraded to a chuck n duck.

Back