PRO MARK 210 chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now Roger, noone said you must get a 10-12" chipper, I think what I was leading up to is one won't be satisfied till one is running a 18" chipper preferably self-propelled with mancab and 10ton grapple. yes the six inch chippers are nice but like the ladies say size does matter.

Originally posted by ORclimber
I have a good friend who started with a 6" Gravely w/ 20hp Kohler. It was too slow. He upgraded to a chuck n duck.

That's pretty funny... "UPGRADE" to a chuck-n-duck...

:laugh::laugh::D

Funny... I'm probably the only guy here who actually uses one and likes it!

My old Mitts and Merrill hand fed is the best old style chipper ever made. Definitely not a chuck and duck due to it's design...great chip size too. And you can still buy 'em new from Karl Kuemmerling.

Originally posted by wiley_p
Now Roger, noone said you must get a 10-12" chipper, I think what I was leading up to is one won't be satisfied till one is running a 18" chipper preferably self-propelled with mancab and 10ton grapple. yes the six inch chippers are nice but like the ladies say size does matter.

Yeah boss.

So you got one of those yet? I need you and it if i get the poplar job...pics of which I posted last nite.

...still only 12 inch endowed

Originally posted by netree
That's pretty funny... "UPGRADE" to a chuck-n-duck...

:laugh::laugh::D

Funny... I'm probably the only guy here who actually uses one and likes it!

Craig (rborist1) uses them, I think.

Originally posted by wiley_p
yes the six inch chippers are nice but like the ladies say size does matter.

The Promark 210 was my first chipper, when I was doing almost all lawn maintenance. Used it for chipping small stuff from hedges, shrubs and the occaisonal tree. Lifting stuff up to feed was a pain. It was a good chipper for the money, but I only kept it about 6 months before I sold it. My replacement was a Morbark Eeger Beaver, 12 inch machine.

Look at these photos.

And here is my present chipper. I also have a 9 inch Gravely 395. I love that chipper for the smaller jobs and especially on palm fronds.

Ummm..gotta luv both packages!!!!!

Nice winch....

..the wench is better tho!

..Wrenching on said package would be delightful..

I would love to have a chipper, maybe this year I will get one. I know that it will be a good buy, so yall aint gotta convence me of that.

I would be happy (for now) with a good chuck and duck from Asplund. It would be nice to chip be able to take the chipper off its trailer, and onto my trailer I have now, but make it removable. Have the chipper in the front, blowing back, facing the curb. Then behind the chipper, make a dump box. That would be sweet, IMO.

kohler motor chipper

Hello David,
I used to do tree service full time. Due to serious injury I now only "play around" with it. I was in the Kansas city--Blue springs area during that last record ice storm. If you live there then you'll never forget how you could just stand out in any area and listen to the trees break.
I once had the little 625 Vermeer. Not bad at all for ocasional small jobs. However, during the 3 or so weeks of that ice storm I made enough to get a 250 brush bandit. Talk about those noticeable differences. It may seem a long shot for such a glut of work to come your way again. But, just in case.....
You will get along fine with the little chipper. Doubt if parts will be a real problem. Your f350 will pull near any chipper with class V hitch and electric brakes. There is a veryy good reason that the larger 12 to 15" chippers are abundant and hold their value fairly well.
Good luck with any decision you do make.

I got a Gravely/Promark 210 6" w 20 horse Kohler 2 months before a hurricane in 96. It's gradually slown down over time, and I am left with too many 5-10" pcs. But since most of what I do is pruning it still works for me.

If you can creatively use the bigger stuff ok. But more often than not I wish I'd've gone bigger.

O and >90% of the chips I make stay on site to be recycled; never got a chip truck and do not miss it. If the machine has a spin chute you can leave mulch which culstomers always need.

to me size does matter
had a v625 for one year if you only doing side jobs (on saturdays and after work) its fine.
My buddy had the brush bandit 6" alot better machine than v625.

But I had to increase product so i could leave my city job, Got my self a Morbark #13 the best thing ever (i used v1230-50,B.B s and woodchuck) my morbark is too heavy to tow with a F35o or even 550 had to by a f-700.

but back to your query, i would try to find a 9" or so keeping fire wood is great and all but if you chip it,you only left the wood once into the chipper,
Or youwill cutting it pile it load it on to your truck unload it store it , load it back onto the truck again and drive to some ones house and then unload it .
to much work

Lawmart

playsafe

25 or 30 years ago I rented a Promark as you have pictured. I used it on one of my first tree jobs. I thought it was wonderful, but at the end of the day I was tired from lifting the limbs up into the chute. Still, it was easier than hauling the brush.

Ten years later I purchased a 6" used brush bandit and thought this was the answer to by dreams. Same thought a few years later on a 90xp. Now I have 250xp and wish I had purchased it in the beginning...but then, I did not have enough money..nor did I know any better.

I am with the majority...the promark will work for you for a while. Buy it and use it to make money so you can purchase a larger machine in the future....just skip the 6 and 9 inch models.

Originally posted by lawmart
Morbark #13 is too heavy to tow with a F35o or even 550 had to by a f-700.

How heavy is that Morbark 13? Did the F350 and F550 have a gas or diesel engine? My 1 ton Dodge with a Cummins diesel and 4:11 rear end tows my Woodsman 18X (8000 lbs) quite easily even with a 4000 lb. load of chips, and only struggles a bit when climbing hills. Climbing hills with an empty bed is no problem.

I have this very same Pro Mark 210 . Mine has an 18 HP Wisconsin and it does great job of eating limbs that are less than 4" dia. I make firewood out of the larger stuff. It has a couple of pluses. Its very light and can be towed across a lawn with little harm. It is narow and can be used in parks, bike paths and trails. It can be easily towed by a small truck, like a Toyota 4 cyl . Even a quad could pull this easily. Its very easy to work on, probably the easiest chipper to work on. Minuses are crooked stuff must be cut up. Lifting stuff into is a pain after awhile. And the color is the ugliest shade of "dead pond" green I`ve ever seen. But I like mine for triming and its a monster for its power and size. I think these are a great value. And they do not take up a lot of space when parked in the driveway. But mine will be for sale in a few weeks when I get my Vermeer 935 up and running( Been putting it together from parts for 6 months now....uugggh)

Glenn

chippers

I've seen the Vermeer 935 in action...good hearty machine. Seems alot of guys at these sites tend to be leary of, and steer clear of Vermeer chipper. Honestly, I don't know why. BB and Morbark, size to size, I do not believe chip any faster. I like the disc chippers and believe the V1230 and 1250a to be fine machines. I also like the BB250 and 280. I really don't need much over 12" machine.

I've noticed that too. I prefer the 1250 to any other machine 99% of the time. But I guess it's diffrent strokes for diffrent folks, eh?

Well after much thought and a few good nights sleep I decided to buy that chipper. The guy would not budge from 2000.00 I looked it over again before payin for it and simply could not find anything wrong with it besides 1 broken bolt in a non-critical area.
Thanks for all the good info it was very helpfull.
I asked my wife to put her car outside so the chipper could go in..........she did'nt like that idea. My car is now setting outside so chipper could go in my side.
I think i'll change the color to ''gravely'' orange soon with some new decals also. I think having nice looking, clean equipment helps in selling work anyway.

I have been on the casual lookout for a 6 inch chipper for a while, in a year there have been 2 for sale in NZ that I have been able to find. One was a 5 inch gravely, very much like the 210 mentioned, it was a 1991 model and had done alot of work and the guy wanted 6500 for it, second one was an old chuck (mid eighties) and duck, apparently it was very tired and needed alot of work, for a mere 6000 it could have been mine.

One of the problem of living in a small populated nation is the fact that it can be hard to find good equipment for good $. There are locally made 6 inch chippers but they start at $24,000. Almost everything is imported so its quite expensive. An 200t is $1500, 044 is over $2000. Echo 3400's are $700.These are in NZ dollars, it takes about 70 US cent to make one NZ dollar.

I see that Baileys online sell 6 inch self feed chippers quite cheap, has anyone used them? Are they any good? They are about 6500 us dollars which is about 10,000nzd so it might be worth while trying to import one, Ideas gentlemen?

I have been on the casual lookout for a 6 inch chipper for a while, in a year there have been 2 for sale in NZ that I have been able to find. One was a 5 inch gravely, very much like the 210 mentioned, it was a 1991 model and had done alot of work and the guy wanted 6500 for it, second one was an old chuck (mid eighties) and duck, apparently it was very tired and needed alot of work, for a mere 6000 it could have been mine.

One of the problem of living in a small populated nation is the fact that it can be hard to find good equipment for good $. There are locally made 6 inch chippers but they start at $24,000. Almost everything is imported so its quite expensive. An 200t is $1500, 044 is over $2000. Echo 3400's are $700.These are in NZ dollars, it takes about 70 US cent to make one NZ dollar.

I see that Baileys online sell 6 inch self feed chippers quite cheap, has anyone used them? Are they any good? They are about 6500 us dollars which is about 10,000nzd so it might be worth while trying to import one, Ideas gentlemen?

Back