Problem with my new 261cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasatch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Took my new 261cm to the mountains today to cut a load of wood. Everything started well but when I stopped after 40 min or so to sharpen my chain I had a hell of a time getting the saw started again.

Since the saw was hot I tried starting in the run position. It would idle for a second or two then die, if I touched the trigger it would die. So I tried switching down to the start position. It would idle up and down then when I hit the trigger die. Finally after 15 min or so I got the saw started and cutting.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Heading to dealer in morning. Oh and I'm using 91 octane non ethanol and the Stihl synthetic oil. Any ideas?

Took my new 261cm to the mountains today to cut a load of wood. Everything started well but when I stopped after 40 min or so to sharpen my chain I had a hell of a time getting the saw started again.

Since the saw was hot I tried starting in the run position. It would idle for a second or two then die, if I touched the trigger it would die. So I tried switching down to the start position. It would idle up and down then when I hit the trigger die. Finally after 15 min or so I got the saw started and cutting.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Heading to dealer in morning. Oh and I'm using 91 octane non ethanol and the Stihl synthetic oil. Any ideas?

Before you shut it off the 1st time, did you let it idle for about 20-30 seconds?

I understand these M-Tronic/Autotune saws need to idle a bit before shut off.

I did not

I don't have one in my possession yet, but I understand that is 1 noticeable difference, or rather, something that matters more now.

Also,
Was there a drastic change in elevation?

There is a sequence to adjusting those saws if the elevation changes drastically.

From Everything I've read & everyone I've talked to, once the operator understands the differences between these new electronic carb saws, & their older counterpart, the new ones are much better saws.

I plan to see when I get my hands on my MS661.

I don't have one in my possession yet, but I understand that is 1 noticeable difference, or rather, something that matters more now.

Also,

There is a sequence to adjusting those saws if the elevation changes drastically.

From Everything I've read & everyone I've talked to, once the operator understands the differences between these new electronic carb saws, & their older counterpart, the new ones are much better saws.

Also,

This was my second time using the saw. I used it a week or so ago for the first time at similar elevation. On my first trip I did the 5 test cuts to supposedly "set" the Mtronic system/carb. Only difference is I didn't have to hot start last time.

This was my second time using the saw. I used it a week or so ago for the first time at similar elevation. On my first trip I did the 5 test cuts to supposedly "set" the Mtronic system/carb. Only difference is I didn't have to hot start last time.

Do you have time tonight to see if letting it idle ,( after it gets hot), before shutting it off corrects the issue?

It might save you a trip...

I have 0 problems with the old or new editions of the 261c. But I'm at 1100 feet and don't change elevation.

No idle time needed before shut down.

Did you go through the program sequence? Husky promotes the log cutting (I have husky autotune also) stihl uses the start on choke and run time of 1 minute, turn off master switch, wait for 1 minute, restart and cut wood. I like Mtron saws and have no problems. Good luck with yours.

From all I understand, Stihl's M-tronic and Husky's Autotune are the same technology. I could be wrong but that's what I've heard. And either is problematic with warm temps and elevation.

Being a Husky-lover, I have a 550xp that runs great when it runs, but it's a total pain in the ass where I live and work, which is 6500' up to 8000' elevation. The saw does not like to idle, and will die at idle unless I continually blip the throttle. Then, after shutting it down to refuel, it will not restart when hot.

I do all the stuff recommended by the manual--run it buried in the wood to retune, and start with the proper procedure, but it's just a problem up here where the air is thin. I want to love this saw but cannot. It lives on my shop floor while my two 346xp saws go to work without issues.

How heavily were you leaning on the saw before you shut it down? Vapor lock is still possible. I'm not sure if extreme elevation would make that worse or not.

I have 0 problems with the old or new editions of the 261c. But I'm at 1100 feet and don't change elevation.

No idle time needed before shut down.

Did you go through the program sequence? Husky promotes the log cutting (I have husky autotune also) stihl uses the start on choke and run time of 1 minute, turn off master switch, wait for 1 minute, restart and cut wood. I like Mtron saws and have no problems. Good luck with yours.
I did the 5 test cuts on the first trip and s
How heavily were you leaning on the saw before you shut it down? Vapor lock is still possible. I'm not sure if extreme elevation would make that worse or not.
Not hard, was bucking up a dead 18" pine. I'm wondering if I should of done the 5 test cuts first? But figured since it was same elevation as last cutting session I would be good.

I did the 5 test cuts on the first trip and s

Not hard, was bucking up a dead 18" pine. I'm wondering if I should of done the 5 test cuts first? But figured since it was same elevation as last cutting session I would be good.
I personally don't think the 5 test cuts was the issue. If you operated it, the "test cuts" already took place during your use.

I picked up the saw from the dealer this afternoon. They can't duplicate the issue. I think it's cause their at 4200 ft and I've been cutting above 9000. Also they probably didn't get it very hot then let it sit as long as I did.

I'm going out in a week or so, hopefully no issues. On the plus side the dealer said if the saw keeps acting up they'll swap it for a new non Mtronic 261 and set the carb for high elevation.

I'll make a prediction: you'll be trading for that tunable saw.

But please let us know, because I'm curious as to whether Stihl's tuning gizmo can outdo Husky's Autotune, which so far is not measuring up (here at elevation).

I look forward to the day they work out the bugs on this stuff. In the meantime, I'm keeping my tuning screwdriver handy.

Back