Problem with Stihl chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not a big problem, but worth mentioning.

I purchased 2 chains from our local dealer recently, 3/8" 72DL .050" for my 262XP and 268XP.

I ran the 262XP a couple of weeks ago on a big job with the Stihl chain, and it didn't cut for crap. Vibrated, grabbed, bounced, etc. I sharpened it after the first day on that job, and the next day it was somewhat better, but still not cutting all that great, LOTS of vibration, etc.

After the second day I really cleaned up the cutters with a hand file, taking them back 4-5 strokes each. The next day it cut fantastic, just like what I'm used to from Stihl chains.:clap: I dismissed it at that time as just being that particular chain.

Well, yesterday I get out the 268XP to cut up some red Oak behind the shop with the other new Stihl chain, and it's as bad if not worse than the first loop.....:censored:

By visual observation the chains look OK, but obviously the factory cutting edge has some issues. With all the loops I've used in past years, Stihl chain or Oregon, Windsor, etc, they cut fine right out of the box, smooth, no vibration, don't grab, etc.

More of a heads up than anything else, and wondering if anyone else is having issues with these chains?.......Cliff

Haven't had that happen to me yet. That sounds like real bad luck. I donot believe that that will be only the problem of that particular chain because I asume the chain is made in a few hundred meter roles and only cut of after a certain amount. So if the filing machine is misalinged it will be for a lot of chain!
Did you take a picture of the different chains so that we can measure the angle of the tooth edge?

Chain on back....? Oh forget it. Now where do I go if I'm hands down? ;)

Last edited:
I never seen that!

Same chain tension?

Out of the box Stihl chain seems far better then anything else.

Wonder if your new chain did not have a lot of shipping damage or handling damage to the cutting edge/micro-bevel and you are now filed past that?

In hope to not be misunderstood?

Picture a bunch of very sharp knives stored in a drawer of a toolbox, and bounced around in the back of a truck over miles of washboard road.

Both chains were purchased at the same time, full chisel, and went from the package to a nail hanging above the work bench where I service my saws.

Yes, same tension, and in the past they have been excellent right out of the box.

I hope I wasn't so hung-over that I put either one of them on backwards, then filed the wrong side of the cutter the next day to get them to work better!....:cheers:....Cliff

I buy almost all my chain for the site sponsor baileys. Never had a single problem and the price is right. Bring the chains back to your dealer and tell him what went on. He should at least attempt to make it right. You paid premium money for those chains and you deserve premium service.

I hope I wasn't so hung-over that I put either one of them on backwards, then filed the wrong side of the cutter the next day to get them to work better!....:cheers:....Cliff[/QUOTE]

I have heard of this being done!

I hope I wasn't so hung-over that I put either one of them on backwards, then filed the wrong side of the cutter the next day to get them to work better!....:cheers:....Cliff
I used to put them on backwards just to mess with the new guys on the crew, you wouldn't believe how hard they would try to make it cut......lmao...

Funny you posted this issue, I just got a loop of Stihl yellow for my 288xp i'm runnin a 8 pin rim, 24in Oregon Powermatch Plus in perfect shape. Put the new loop of yellow on and grabby as ####, after about 5min it smoothed out and the speed was insane which is what ive come to expect from the stihl chain, cut 2gal. worth of mix gas yesterday and today and still sharp as hell and cuttin great now, maybe they are havin some issues at the factory idk though.

OMG!!!!!! I just realized that you guys are using stihl chain on Husqvarna saws, that's a big no-no............

J/K...trying to add some humor....

Seriously, I spent some time with the second chain, and found it took about 4 good strokes with a file to get it to smooth out, then a couple light strokes to touch it up. It was difficult to get the file thru at first, as the surface was noticably "rough" and not round.

Although this is a minor problem, I hate to outfit a bunch of saws for a long trip to a job and have them perform as poorly as my 262XP did a couple of weeks ago. Good thing I take at least 5 saws to any job we take on!.....Cliff

Last edited:
I have to agree, RSC is more "grabby" out of the box. They seem to have a lot of hook on them. After the first filing, which with me is about 2 minutes after I put the new loop on, and manage to plunge it in the dirt at 14k, it's smooth as silk and a fair bit faster than the others. Stays sharper longer as well.

I've had the same problem within the last 4-5 months with a couple of RSC loops out of maybe a doizen, thought it was me. Felt almost like I had rocked the chain on the first cut, even though I was cutting clean logs that were 3' in the air. The rest were the usual "awesome"

Back